Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adrian and Jeremy to leave 98fm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The lads spoke to the Mirror newspaper. With regards to what they're doing next, Jeremy says "Our aim is to be up and running in the next three weeks". Is it going to be with another radio station I wonder or are they going down the podcast route? Whatever the format, I'm looking forward to it. Best of luck lads.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/adrian-kennedy-jeremy-dixon-secret-23971709.amp

Best of luck lads

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

The lads spoke to the Mirror newspaper. With regards to what they're doing next, Jeremy says "Our aim is to be up and running in the next three weeks". Is it going to be with another radio station I wonder or are they going down the podcast route?

Juding by his wording and the new banner on their Facebook page, it doesn't look like they're going to another station.

Lads, do a podcast seriously

I can't see a podcast where it's just the two of them talking to each other being as good as a live show where they had callers to bounce off.

I can't see a podcast where it's just the two of them talking to each other being as good as a live show where they had callers to bounce off.

Speaking for myself and my wife we would def listen to the lads just shootin the breeze

But they could follow the Dunphy sort of format and have invited guests on the line or in studio

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I wonder was it any coincidence that a lot of the same callers appeared on both Adrian's show and Niall Boylan's show ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭archfi

Big Gerry wrote: »
    I wonder was it any coincidence that a lot of the same callers appeared on both Adrian's show and Niall Boylan's show ?

There's one particular one called Niamh that does be on Kennedy's, Boylan's and Duffy's call-IN (...) shows.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

archfi wrote: »
    There's one particular one called Niamh that does be on Kennedy's, Boylan's and Duffy's call-IN (...) shows.

For some people it seems to be their job to spend all day calling up talk shows with "controversial" opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Jeez lads, for the folks that have an issue with Adrian/Jeremy, I would advise you to steer well clear of RTE Radio 1 at around 13:45- 15:00 weekdays, there is a guy called Joe on there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Denny61

Never heard of them. Nor the station..probably a few hundred listeners

• Advertisement

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Jeez lads, for the folks that have an issue with Adrian/Jeremy, I would advise you to steer well clear of RTE Radio 1 at around 13:45- 15:00 weekdays, there is a guy called Joe on there. :pac:

I like both shows!
    Most days I'm forced to listen to Liveline.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

archfi wrote: »
    I like both shows!
    Most days I'm forced to listen to Liveline.

What's the weather like over there in North Korea?

What's the weather like over there in North Korea?
    Very good.
    if you work at all you'll know what I mean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Denny61 wrote: »

You found this thread and managed to comment easy enough! :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭TheLonelyOne

Wonder if there is a possibility of them replacing Boylan? He was always the poor man's second choice to listen to and genuinely think Adrian and Jeremy would be a better choice.

All Duffy and Boylan talk about every day is covid, Boylan in particular seems to jump on EVERY anti lockdown/anti vaccine/anti everything bandwagon just to get more attention and after a year, it's more than taken it's toll. Management need to wake up and smell the coffee. There are other issue's to talk about. And don't even get me started on Duffy... Irish 'talk' radio has gone to the dog's.

Personally I think Adrian and Jeremy would be a breath of fresh air to replace Boylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

I can see them moving to social media and doing a live broadcast through Facebook or one of them mediums !

Really cant see what other station they can fit into at this present time !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

If you do not listen to and/or have no interest in phone-in talks shows on Dublin radio stations, then it's understandable that you might not have heard of them. As regards 98FM, it's been around since November 1989 and was the second licensed independent commercial radio station for Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Classic Jude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You found this thread and managed to comment easy enough! :confused::confused:

that's what a discussion forum is for.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

that's what a discussion forum is for.

I agree, but don't go and say you never heard of them, or the station and they only had a few hundred listeners. Pretty pointless tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Tork

Every man and his dog is doing podcasts now though. It makes me wonder where the tipping point is. There are only so many podcasts anybody can listen to and maybe only so much money to go around. Good luck to 'em (I haven't the foggiest who they are either) but they'd want to have a dedicated audience who are prepared to follow them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Purple_Bear

Whether it's on another radio station or on the Web, I hope they return to the spirit of The Phoneshow. Having callers will be essential as they gave the lads constant material and variety. And bring back the scobies 'n' skangers for Jeremy to take the piss out of!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Wonder if there is a possibility of them replacing Boylan? He was always the poor man's second choice to listen to and genuinely think Adrian and Jeremy would be a better choice.

All Duffy and Boylan talk about every day is covid, Boylan in particular seems to jump on EVERY anti lockdown/anti vaccine/anti everything bandwagon just to get more attention and after a year, it's more than taken it's toll. Management need to wake up and smell the coffee. There are other issue's to talk about. And don't even get me started on Duffy... Irish 'talk' radio has gone to the dog's.

Personally I think Adrian and Jeremy would be a breath of fresh air to replace Boylan.

Of course they would be 1000% better than you Niall.... but I’d say they’re for better things

Am I missing something or why do U keep calling “the lonelyone” niall?

Boylan is well established there and has his followers. I would've thought fm104 might have been interested in taking them back to revive the Phoneshow, which was enormously popular when they presented it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

They did a Facebook live on Sunday and had a WhatsApp number for people to text in and send voice messages to. There was nobody to check the messages beforehand so they just played out whatever they were sent.

From what they said, it seems like they’ll be doing that regularly (and maybe ringing people from that WhatsApp number to have “on-air” on Facebook) and then they’ll podcast the audio version.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the_real_one

I wonder if their producer Katie is joining them in this new venture?

Boylan is well established there and has his followers. I would've thought fm104 might have been interested in taking them back to revive the Phoneshow, which was enormously popular when they presented it.

As mush as I liked the phoneshow they seemed to have run out of ideas and kept repeating the same topics.

I think those kind of shows have a limited shelf life before people get sick of hearing the same topics over and over again.

As mush as I liked the phoneshow they seemed to have run out of ideas and kept repeating the same topics.

I think those kind of shows have a limited shelf life before people get sick of hearing the same topics over and over again.

I get what you're saying, but I don't fully agree with you. These shows offer a certain voyeurism that is always going to be popular, whether people like to admit it or not. And Adrian was the best at it, far better than Niall Boylan is. For me, when listening to Adrian's show on FM104, there was always a sense that something exciting could happen at any moment. Whereas with Niall Boylan's show, it's just a preachy ideologue who tries to browbeat callers who he doesn't agree with, there's no fun or excitement to his show. Also, Adrian has Jeremy, who is one of the funniest guys on Irish radio. I think most people listened just for the banter between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 the_real_one

It seems like the new show will be internet based and a podcast. The show will be called All Opinions Matter so that suggests Adrian still intends it to be a talk show first and foremost. I hope people will be able to call in and speak with them "on air". WhatsApp messages alone won't suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I get what you're saying, but I don't fully agree with you. These shows offer a certain voyeurism that is always going to be popular, whether people like to admit it or not. And Adrian was the best at it, far better than Niall Boylan is. For me, when listening to Adrian's show on FM104, there was always a sense that something exciting could happen at any moment. Whereas with Niall Boylan's show, it's just a preachy ideologue who tries to browbeat callers who he doesn't agree with, there's no fun or excitement to his show. Also, Adrian has Jeremy, who is one of the funniest guys on Irish radio. I think most people listened just for the banter between them.

Twerp Jeremy Dixon funny ????

Banned for this again. Don't call someone "twerp" or engage in name-calling, please.

• Advertisement

I was reading today that Adrian thinks other top presenters will lose their jobs,because talk shows cost money,and he had sleepless nights because they had zero adverts on their show..He is talking about doing a podcast with a sponser...Is it possible to get enough from a sponser for a podcast,to earn a weekly wage for two presenters..Theres online radio stations,and podcasts popping up every where at the moment..

I was reading today that Adrian thinks other top presenters will lose their jobs,because talk shows cost money,and he had sleepless nights because they had zero adverts on their show..

Yet all the stations are being propped up with agency stuff, all the big brands are continuing to advertise plus you have all the government stuff. Then there is the BAI funding with most of the stations picking up another 100k in the latest round of funding. But much like any business station management (who won't go without) will use it as an excuse to scale back further.

Adrian and Jeremy's new show is on facebook.

It's interesting that Adrian said that they lost their jobs because of covid.

https://www.facebook.com/adriankandjeremyd/videos/1426122801072950/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Santan

Is it going to be a daily show?

This isn't their new show. They're doing these Facebook streams to stay in touch with their audience.

I was reading today that Adrian thinks other top presenters will lose their jobs,because talk shows cost money,and he had sleepless nights because they had zero adverts on their show..He is talking about doing a podcast with a sponser...Is it possible to get enough from a sponser for a podcast,to earn a weekly wage for two presenters..Theres online radio stations,and podcasts popping up every where at the moment..

I would say the axe will fall heavily in many station's. The majority of station's are being propped up by HSE adverts re Covid and staying safe etc. It's hard times for every business at the moment, but some may take this as an opportunity to make cutbacks.

I would say the axe will fall heavily in many station's. The majority of station's are being propped up by HSE adverts re Covid and staying safe etc. It's hard times for every business at the moment, but some may take this as an opportunity to make cutbacks.

Much like most radio station repetitive playlists I just said that exact thing 4 posts back! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it possible to get enough from a sponser for a podcast,to earn a weekly wage for two presenters

Possible, yes.

Realistic for that show, no.

You need a huge audience, bigger than on radio basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Garzard

When was Chris Barry with East Coast FM? I know he was with Capital Radio/Rock104/FM104, 98FM and Sunshine 106.8. He also came back to FM104 for a little while, having been away from it for some years. Along the way, he was involved with temporary licensed stations Christmas FM, 949 The Rock and Real Radio.

But it's the first I heard of his involvement with East Coast FM. Although, at one stage, it was in the same building as 106.8. I'm not sure if it was in the same building when he was with the latter, but it's possible.

Don't know what happened to Chris Barry - he had to take sick leave from FM104 for a while in 2016, and haven't heard of him again since. The Phoneshow also faded from existence a while ago and seemed to have quite a turnover of presenters after Chris. It was inevitable though and it's a shame what happened to it as I loved listening in each night when Adrian Kennedy hosted it, but it just completely decayed in the months and years after Adrian and Jeremy left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

L1011 wrote: »
    Possible, yes.

Realistic for that show, no.

You need a huge audience, bigger than on radio basically.

Not necessarily, the lads from second captains (off the ball previously) did it. They had a sponsored show from the Irish Times which kept 4 or 5 of them trucking, they then moved to Patreon and subscribers pay €5 a month. Nearly 13k subscribers. I doubt the target audience of these two would pay for content though

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

duffman13 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, the lads from second captains (off the ball previously) did it. They had a sponsored show from the Irish Times which kept 4 or 5 of them trucking, they then moved to Patreon and subscribers pay €5 a month. Nearly 13k subscribers. I doubt the target audience of these two would pay for content though

I honestly think, with the following they have, they could absolutely go behind a paywall eventually. If they got 5k subscribers at a 5er a month it would be a decent chunk of change.

On top of that with podcasts, a lot of podcast hosting platforms will rollout ads on the podcast itself if it has enough of a following, which is a decent earner as well.

Whatever they're doing, I do hope that they drop the tedious "Good News Friday" segment. It's boring, hackneyed crap and the opposite of what made the Phoneshow so great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

duffman13 wrote: »

That's why I said "for that show". Second Captains/OTB had a much bigger audience to begin with and got media partners nearly immediately.
    Faugheen wrote: »
    I honestly think, with the following they have, they could absolutely go behind a paywall eventually. If they got 5k subscribers at a 5er a month it would be a decent chunk of change.

On top of that with podcasts, a lot of podcast hosting platforms will rollout ads on the podcast itself if it has enough of a following, which is a decent earner as well.

5k paying subscribers will never happen for that show.

Pre-roll ads pay buttons.

I see Niall Boylan is setting up a webpage for his podcasts in light of recent events.

No idea's of his own it appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

I see Niall Boylan is setting up a webpage for his podcasts in light of recent events.

i think that was set up some time ago.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Has been up a long time now

I wonder would the Adrian and Jeremy show work for TV if they made a Jeremy Kyle style show ?

I wonder would the Adrian and Jeremy show work for TV if they made a Jeremy Kyle style show ?
    I sincerely hope not. We saw how that ended in tragedy.

Furthermore, this is not Britain, we are a small country with a good degree of cohesion; we are civilised; unlikely to sneer at family trouble in poorer households. If this country had much truck with that carry-on, this duo's radio programme would have never been cancelled. It was probably cancelled for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I would listen to hear what is on these phone shows but do not take them serious because a lot of the callers are either set up or just on to say something to get the other regular callers to phone in rinse and repeat the next show and so on .

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

I hope 'get it off your chest' is brought back for the new show. And with the ambient sound of La Femme d'Argent playing in the background of course. https://youtu.be/U4U19zwFENs

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement