Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SMACKDOWN LIVE SUPERTHREAD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,298 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Referring to it as the UFO was stupid as well. Like everyone knows it was Seth Rollins. What part was unidentified?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Necro wrote: »
    It's by no means perfect, but Smackdown is leagues ahead of Raw. Millions of miles apart, it's like they are two seperate companies the differences are that much.

There are still the usual WWE problems - Otis and the family Ron Ron Mysterious for the 7 millionth time. Nobody cares guys, just like nobody did the last 500 times.

I thought the BelAir title celebration was awful too, why are the Street Profits trying to be the New Day? Far too similar. I also think Bianca is actually pretty poor on the mic, she's growing on me though and can go in the ring so happy enough for now.

On the flip side Roman was great as usual, and I love him not acknowledging Cesaro. Agree with Beaker, let it be a slow build. Let Cesaro beat Rollins again at... sighs... Wrestlemania Backlash (easily the most hateful PPV name in the history of WWE).
    The UFO spot is already getting annoying due to the repetitive nature of WWE programming though, the danger is that Vince gets fixated on Cesaro doing these silly spots again and drops him down the card for them.

I find Bianca quite boring to be honest. Very good in the ring but the overly earnest babyface doesn't work for her, and I wasn't a fan of the kid whipping her hair gimmick either.

As I said elsewhere, I look at Bianca and Rhea and there's no feud that immediately jumps out that I want to see. Bayley/Bianca maybe but they have already done it. Becky/Rhea as well, but the problem is that I'd like to see Bayley and Becky go over in such feuds. Not a good sign.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hogan slamming Andre
    Stone cold, blood dripping down his face.
    Rock and Hogan.
    Cesaro spinning a guy on his shoulders.

Listen, I’m thrilled it’s Cesaro getting the push but they really were selling that UFO spot like it was iconic, and while it’s cool, it’s not THAT cool. It’s typical WWE oversellin stuff now.

Still, I’m not sure if it’s a simple two hours rather than a bloated three, but SD is so much easier to consume.

I also will say, while I don’t think the celebration segment itself was amazing, Montez Ford screams superstar too me. Just a fantastic look, charisma, a super smooth frog splash. I really hope he gets a rocket strapped to him someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

What was the commentary team? Pat Mcaffe and Cole?

How did the new guy do?

McAfee seemed to be finding his feet. Some nice bits, and some where he was inaudible as if he wasn't speaking into his microphone.

He was weirdly soft spoken. I guess he had to slow himself down with Vince barking orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

McAfee seemed to be finding his feet. Some nice bits, and some where he was inaudible as if he wasn't speaking into his microphone.

He was weirdly soft spoken. I guess he had to slow himself down with Vince barking orders.

Just a 2 man team so?

Just a 2 man team so?

I was just watching the clips on YouTube but yes two man from what I could hear, weirdly subjued.

I know at least twice he shouted something like "Did you see that?!" which is annoying once but not twice.
    Another time he seemed to go on a bit longer than was meant to as Cole started talking about the next segment before he finished but Pat kept going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,533 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WWE has made yet another change to the Raw and SmackDown rosters.

It was revealed earlier today that WWE had moved Reckoning (formerly Mia Yim) from Raw to SmackDown. POST Wrestling reported that Slapjack (previously Shane Thorne) is also going to the blue brand.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    So they showed that Cesaro UFO spot 6 times.

He appears to be either going with Seth one more time at Backlash before being postioned against Roman or they are planning a 3 way at Backlash.

Id prefer the first option. Slow the build down.

They should save Cesaro Vs. Reigns until Summerslam, build him up, have him rematch Rollins, take on Jey Uso too, he could be a top baby face no need for much mic work let his swinging do the talking

I wonder what now for Bryan and Edge

WWE has announced that Apollo Crews, with Commander Azeez in his corner, will defend the Intercontinental Championship tonight on Friday Night SmackDown. WWE did not say who would be his opponent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,903 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rollins is way better as a heel

Bottom right of the pic
    Wonder is he one of us ha

Jesus Nia jax vs Taminia

• Advertisement

'Champions advantage in this match, Owens will have to pin or submit the champion to win the title

No **** Michael Cole

Alistair Black is back then with a moderated gimmick

Devil's advocate sort of thing, could be cool

Daniel Bryan to Raw then, can't see Reigns dropping the title to him

Ah, they saw my post in the Raw thread and brought back Reginald.

Thought they were just going to keep Bryan around as Cesaro's mouthpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ThePott

So Bryan might be off Smackdown. Wonder if that means Raw or even a short spell in NXT. Or just off TV until his contract is sorted.
    Here for the eventual Cesaro match though. Could do with a bit more Bianca Belair, needs some more screentime as champion.
    Black's segment was interesting, not fully sold on it but they clearly put a lot of effort into it so that's good that at least they're giving him something sizeable.
    Personally liking McAfee on commentary too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,153 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Pros: Cesaro getting a considered push. Glad they're going to likely have a Rollins rematch at Backlash and not rush into the Reigns feud mind... at least that seems like what they're planning.

Bryan/Reigns again next week, this time with huge stakes for both. Love it, looking forward to that match - I hope they give them 30 mins or so to tear the house down. Edge return to cost Bryan setting up their match at Backlash I reckon.

Big win for Apollo and I think setting him against Big E one last time is fine, hoping they launch Big E into the main event scene afterwards though. He is ready and about the only face across the two brands with any sort of character.

Bayley Bianca will be a good match. I am still not sold on Bianca as a 'star' though. She is extremely talented in the ring but like most faces in WWE has very little going on other than that. Hopefully Bayley can drag a decent promo or two out of her to elevate her a little bit.

Cons: Jey Uso should stop his gangster hardman shouty promos. They're... really, really bad.

Just how many weeks are we going to be subjected to the Mysterios VS Otis/Gable? I feel like I'm in a never ending loop of not caring about it remotely.

Tamina and Nia was as bad as it was at WrestleMania. What's the deal with Reginald. Why is he back? Why was he gone in the first place? Just add that to the never-ending list of questions WWE sweep under the rug.

I enjoyed the episode, the bad parts aside. Not sure what they do with Rollins after his battle with Cesaro finishes though.

With the Bryan match next week, does that mean rushing into Cesaro at Backl... sorry, Wrestlemania Backlash?
    If Reigns is going to be facing Cesaro, will we see a temporary mini Shield reunion with Rollins helping him?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    With the Bryan match next week, does that mean rushing into Cesaro at Backl... sorry, Wrestlemania Backlash?
    If Reigns is going to be facing Cesaro, will we see a temporary mini Shield reunion with Rollins helping him?

I'm wondering about that too. Maybe Edge? I think Rollins and Cesaro makes a bit more sense for Backlash

I'm thinking... Edge costs Bryan next week, Bryan gets payback at the PPV setting up Edge VS Bryan

Cesaro beats Rollins again setting up a feud with Reigns who is now free of the triple threat feud completely.

CastorTroy wrote: »

I think Edge costing Bryan to build up their feud is likely

I think let Cesaro have another swing at Rollins then move on to Jey Uso and finally Reigns, would love to see Cesaro win the title at Summerslam

If Brock can take ppvs off Reigns probably could too with Heyman on his side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Necro wrote: »
    I'm wondering about that too. Maybe Edge? I think Rollins and Cesaro makes a bit more sense for Backlash

I'm thinking... Edge costs Bryan next week, Bryan gets payback at the PPV setting up Edge VS Bryan

Cesaro beats Rollins again setting up a feud with Reigns who is now free of the triple threat feud completely.

WWE have too many PPVs. Less is more.

No need for Cesaro vs Reigns for this event. Way too soon.

No need for Bryan vs Reigns. Stipulation included, which means nothing other than Bryan being banished to Raw, its a lame duck. It doesn't excite me as I expect Reigns to win.

AEW have shown that having 4 to 5 big PPVs a year is plenty. It also means Smackdown and Raw may have more menaingful matches.

Smackdown was ok. I enjoyed most of the promos, but again its their production which sucks the enjoyment out of the show.

Constant playbacks and recaps. Unnecessary and unneeded.

The constant need to shill the forced catchphrases and WWE speak.

The matches being centered around adbreaks and restholds are boring PPV matches are always better because the restrictions are loosened but on TV the matches are so over produced and feel inauthentic.

These are all reasons why AEW is so enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Sami Zayn dancing over KO was hilarious

Sami Zayn dancing over KO was hilarious

He has some moves :p

https://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/2021-04-30

This week's lineup shows how superior a show it is to Raw atm

Thinking of staying up for this live, I haven't done that in about three years for the weekly shows.

• Advertisement

2 big matches, so 2 screwy finishes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Gonna take a stab in the dark here and guess that maybe, just maybe, the Uso will interfere.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Gonna take a stab in the dark here and guess that maybe, just maybe, the Uso will interfere.

and a certain Rated R superstar maybe

Jimmy Uso must be due back soon

Retro Smackdown next week

azeez is a big dude no doubt about it but he kind of glossed over by the sheer size of Omas on Raw

Finally it happens

Roman has new entrance music, roman has new entrance music

And it's so generic

Good main event

Is Daniel Bryans contract up or is he simply taking a few weeks off ?

• Advertisement

Contract is winding down and will be done at the end of Summer I believe, but I'd say he's just taking a break. He'll sign another contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭ThePott

Hard to believe Smackdown can be this good when Raw is so terrible.
    Thought it was an excellent show top to bottom. Surprisingly enjoyed the six man tag.
    The IC match was decent, obviously the ending is a bit annoying but that's the point with having Azeez. Wondering if this will lead to some stipulation at WM Backlash. Main Event was very good too. Still under the assumption that this is just the take Bryan off TV until his contract is sorted, would love him to do a run in NXT though.

As for Reigns' new music, it's about time. I like the start of it but then it becomes a bit generic. WWE are sort of overdoing the choral sounds in their themes lately but overall I think it's pretty good and suitably epic. I kinda hear a bit of his old theme in the guitar sounds too unless my ears deceive me.

Looking forward to Retro Smackdown next week even though I'm not expecting much from the retro aspect... GIVE ME THE FIST!
    Still Smackdown is a great show right now imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Officer999

Yeah that was a really great Smackdown. The Bryan Roman main event really felt like a big deal. And I really loved Roman’s new entrance theme.

Raw and Smackdown like night and day at the minute.

I've never been completely sold on Cesaro (though I was close to buying into the hype around 2014) but he looked a million bucks here trying to make the save. Dare I say it might be finally happening.

Staggering how different Raw and Smackdown are presently. Not just two seperate brands, but two entirely different companies.

There's a lot to be said for longevity in terms of the top champ, but the rest of the roster absolutely doing their bit.

Minor tidbits - the Bianca/Bayley feud has to be more than Bayley just laughing at her. We know she can work the stick, so let her do it and bring the best out of Bianca (who I am not sold on at all)

Street Profits are brilliant, both guys extremely talented in the ring.

Seems to be leading into a Fatal 4 Way for the IC Title at Backlash? I for one am ok with this direction.

No idea where Edge is gone, was sure he was gonna show up to cost Bryan. That Reigns won clean after a great match was a good call mind given the screwy IC finish.

Loved Cesaro coming out, it does seem to be finally happening for him. I'm just a little worried they're rushing into this and Reigns puts him down at Backlash. If it's a screwjob I guess I can live with it but would prefer them to hold off for a couple of months before pulling the trigger.

Big E is just gold, really hope they push him into top title contention in the next 12 months.

What now for Bryan though? Goes to Raw to get lost in the shuffle of the horrible booking there?

SD is miles ahead of Raw, Bryan to Raw or NXT now? He really is very over as is Cesaro now even though no live crowds

I do hope Cesaro beats Reigns at Summerslam

Zayn needs a push and a title imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The start of Roman's new music is great, very ominous and Dark Souls-y and then it gets shít very fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't really watch WWE much anymore but that Reigns theme tune is a massive improvement he fully looks like a big deal now

Should we expect Bryan on one of the other shows next week or will he appear on Smackdown to say goodbye first?

Actually I guess he was written off for a bit

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Cesaro getting the title shot if he wins ?

Seth becoming number 1 contender would be interesting

• Advertisement
Advertisement