Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Free shipping this weekend if anyone is looking at Duck Hook, I've ordered a mid layer to give it a try. €35 its hard to argue with and happy to support Irish.

Thanks for that. Just ordered a quarter zip to try them out.

Also another 10% off when subscribe ya get code straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭The Parish King

Yeah some Druids stuff is truly awful, it looks like they've upped their prices a bit as well so not as good value anymore for clothes. Their trolley and bags are still a very good price though.

County Golf is still my go to. They won't deliver to Ireland directly anymore but I always went through AddressPal anyway. You will pay VAT through AddressPal since January but I bought a full Adidas Waterproof set for less than €100 all in, paid something like €12 in VAT on it. I got stung for VAT & customs on one order but that was due to An Post mis valuing the stuff, I claimed off them, took ages but got a refund eventually. They're selling last years kit usually but that makes no difference to me. Aside from there I've heard Clubhouse Golf is very good too.

I've found the Irish sites to be ridiculously overpriced for clothes for some reason.

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but if you’re ordering something from County Golf via AddressPal will you need to pay Irish VAT of 23% on top of the quoted prices on the website? You also mentioned that you were stung with customs charges as well, was that just in error?

Thanks for any help on this - the prices there are very competitive so I’m just trying to work out what the catch might be and calculate the total cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but if you’re ordering something from County Golf via AddressPal will you need to pay Irish VAT of 23% on top of the quoted prices on the website? You also mentioned that you were stung with customs charges as well, was that just in error?

Thanks for any help on this - the prices there are very competitive so I’m just trying to work out what the catch might be and calculate the total cost.

Yeah it was a mistake by An Post, I ordered 3 things that came to about €100 but they put crazy values on each item that put it over the limit for customs so I got charged VAT and customs on that one. As I said I had to claim it back and it took ages but even with that charge it still worked out cheaper than buying locally. Their stock seems to vary a good bit but you can get some really good bargains if you keep an eye out.

You should only be charged VAT once you keep the order value under the €150 limit but I would just say be prepared for the possibility of An Post making a mess of things and you getting charged a bit more or less than you thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Our club are running a golf society day on 22nd May. Are new restrictions likely to allow it?
    I would have said no chance a few days ago, but todays announcements seem to allow it (cross country travel, multiple households meeting outdoors).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Has anyone bought a polo? Just wondering what are their sizes like.

I ordered a Duck Hook polo in XL. Arrived in 2 days. Nice shade of sky blue. I'm 46" chest and it fits nicely. 65% polyester and 35% cotton. Only tried it on for size but the fabric feels good. At e35 it's good value. Few free tees and personal thank you card too :o

• Advertisement

Forgot to update on my order, arrived Wednesday, some lovely tees with it and a personalised thank you card. Ordered Medium and fits perfect, never checked the percentages but I wore it for 9 today and found it very comfortable. I'll be ordering again, tempted by their head cover for €20. My M2 driver cover is in bad shape and €20 looks great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

I've been wondering how many greenskeepers each club have. Do you know how many your own club has?

I think my own has 6, which considering the size and cost of membership seems on the low side to me.

Anyone else ever think about this or is it just me!? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

All outerwear seems to be sold out on Duck Hook..:(

whizbang wrote: »
    All outerwear seems to be sold out on Duck Hook..:(

Noticed that myself recently when I went back to order another mid layer in a different colour that there wasn't any stock. Might be waiting to release new stuff as a lot of the outerwear is on sale so I assume its older stock with new stuff on the way. Strange that they seem to have loads of polos, I'd have thought given they're in Ireland and with out weather that the outerwear would be a better seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

4hrs 40 minutes for my first full 18 holes stuck between two groups of buggies. Until everyone shakes the cobwebs off I'm guessing this will be common for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Not so sure about that, admittedly was in 2-balls on Sunday, but timesheet full and we got through 18 in my place in about 3hr30. And I was playing with a slow guy (32 handicap thats a talker)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

3hrs 15 mins for us Saturday morning 2 ball.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Gona take some getting used to!

Three rounds so far in 2 balls
    9 holes 1 hour 40 mins
    9 holes 1 hour 30 mins
    12 holes 2 hours 5 mins

4 ball for 18 holes on Saturday I am expecting 4 hours 20 mins at least

Not so sure about that, admittedly was in 2-balls on Sunday, but timesheet full and we got through 18 in my place in about 3hr30. And I was playing with a slow guy (32 handicap thats a talker)

We were quite fast as was the group ahead and behind, the group two slots up was very slow.

Less than 200yd drives will make Headfort New a long round for anyone, they probably should have tried the senior tees for pace of play but considering we're just back I'll hold the anger inside for a few weeks haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    We were quite fast as was the group ahead and behind, the group two slots up was very slow.

Less than 200yd drives will make Headfort New a long round for anyone, they probably should have tried the senior tees for pace of play but considering we're just back I'll hold the anger inside for a few weeks haha

Yeah, tough course at the best of times, especially for a short hitter

Love headfort new, one of my favourite courses around. Can't wait to get over one of the summer evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Anyone any idea where you can find the full list of opens these days.

Miss golfnet. Cant find equivalent on Golf Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

This is the new page on Golf Ireland: https://www.golfireland.ie/open-fixtures

You can find it through "Play Golf" -> "Open Fixtures" in the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Thanks Paul

Ah so it is there now. I looked a while ago and was nothing there. The clubs just need start putting them up

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Played Friday night in a two ball and got stuck behind a two ball in a buggy. Lads could barely hit the ball out of their way and were celebrating when they hit it. There was a society not much better ahead of them. But the two lads hadn't hit a drive more than about 180 yards all day and are waiting for the green to clear on a short 320 yard Par 4 before teeing off. Or waiting for lads to clear the green when they are 250 yards out, absolute madness. We were at 4 hours after 13holes so skipped 14,15,16 and played 17 & 18.

On 18 behind one of the society groups. Par 5 with water to consider on your second shot. Fella eventually puts his seventh shot into the water. Look not a big deal, but every shot was leave the bag 10 yards away from the ball, out with the rangefinder, back to the bag, standing miles behind the ball lining up the shot, 4 practice swings. Duff it 20 yards. Repeat.

Couldn't hack that every week. I don't mind playing with people who aren't good (I'm one of them sure) but just be quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Frisbee wrote: »
    Played Friday night in a two ball and got stuck behind a two ball in a buggy. Lads could barely hit the ball out of their way and were celebrating when they hit it. There was a society not much better ahead of them. But the two lads hadn't hit a drive more than about 180 yards all day and are waiting for the green to clear on a short 320 yard Par 4 before teeing off. Or waiting for lads to clear the green when they are 250 yards out, absolute madness. We were at 4 hours after 13holes so skipped 14,15,16 and played 17 & 18.

On 18 behind one of the society groups. Par 5 with water to consider on your second shot. Fella eventually puts his seventh shot into the water. Look not a big deal, but every shot was leave the bag 10 yards away from the ball, out with the rangefinder, back to the bag, standing miles behind the ball lining up the shot, 4 practice swings. Duff it 20 yards. Repeat.

Couldn't hack that every week. I don't mind playing with people who aren't good (I'm one of them sure) but just be quick.

This would annoy me. Not that i have played many courses in ireland but played a few abroad and the lack of rangers in ireland is terrible. Problem with job is that everyone plays it for different reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Has anyone used Kepel gloves yet or have any thoughts?

I bought a few recently as I got a 20% off code. The quality is decent and the designs are very nice in person. They do seem a little overpriced though, especially at full prices. I've used Callaway Opti gloves and they're just as good at a cheaper price point.

I have a 20% referral code if anyone wants it.

Ballyliffin or Mount Juliet lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

How many days? Ballyliffen is a long trip but two smashing courses and great value with great hotels in the area. Pop in and play Buncrana 9 hole and Northwest in the same trip.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    How many days? Ballyliffen is a long trip but two smashing courses and great value with great hotels in the area. Pop in and play Buncrana 9 hole and Northwest in the same trip.

Round trip next week. Both 2.5hrs away from me. Had the week booked for golf since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I'm heading up to Ballyliffin in about 4 weeks time. Tying it in with a round at Portstewart...they're doing a GUI rate of £90. Give them an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Ballyliffin for me eventhough I have never played it but i have heard great things. I have played mount juliet a few times and I don't know why but it just doesn't live up to the expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

No decision to be made here. Ballyliffin all day long

I'm heading up to Ballyliffin in about 4 weeks time. Tying it in with a round at Portstewart...they're doing a GUI rate of £90. Give them an email.

If you ring Ballyliffen directly you should get it for 50.

• Advertisement

Round trip next week. Both 2.5hrs away from me. Had the week booked for golf since last year.

Accommodation is cheap around Clonmany so it might be worthwhile saying up.

Advertisement