Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brandy and Cigars: Off topic thread

1939495969799»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

That is an amazing looking recipe! I’ll have to give it a go. I’m in the middle of making this, highly recommend: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/summer-winter-chicken

Also finally getting around to watching the Umbrella Academy this evening. Only a couple of episodes in but seems worth the watch so far.
    Must be tough after 6 months off alright!

:pac:

I taught live video lessons for 3 hours every day, perhaps that’s ‘off’ to some but it was definitely more ‘on’ than face to face teaching ever is.
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    How are your school handling it BK?

All kids in every day or splitting class across multiple days?

Business as usual mate! Table groups given a fancy name, some hand sanitiser and away you go :D Tbh I’d rather face to face teaching than the online again so I hope it all works ok.

I think the reopenings are very different across schools. We had staggered yard times in my place and big yards anyway so the outside playtime is much the same, but I know teachers who have to go out on yard themselves with their class (one class at a time) and so have no break. The staff in mine have our breaks but no staffroom so while right now I get a bit of peace during the day, I guess that won't happen when the kids are kept in on rainy winter days.

The school has ordered wireless mics for all the teachers which will hopefully make a big difference, even wearing a visor muffles your voice quite a bit. They taped around my desk to create a teacher zone which the kids can't enter (and I don't have to wear PPE in it). It's a lovely ornament for the room but totally useless tbh.

We have big storage boxes now for each kid to keep all their things in - no pencil cases etc to go home - which have to be on the floor, so you've to be careful walking round my room :p Some of the boxes are sitting in my tape zone as the room is so small!

I don’t think there are any schools with half the class in but I’m not sure. Even my friend working in a place with very medically vulnerable kids is expected to have her class in as usual, though I think a lot of parents aren’t sending them in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I saw a group of 6/7 year olds playing chasing in a playground last weekend. The twist to this game was that they would grab the facemask of the person they caught and often put it on themselves.

Trying to get primary kids to care about this issue is futile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Had this years ago and was always in the long metal take away tray. Jeez you'd swear it was a new thing. :D:D:D

We use to call it a chicken curry with half n half.

Oh it's not new TP.....it's always been a 4in1 :pac::D

Back to work today after a few days off, half strained something in my back at the gym too so going to clock off early and try grab a bath tonight for myself...I'm worth it

Thank god I'm working from home and not having to organize children - sounds like herding cats BK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

D'Agger wrote: »
    Back to work today after a few days off, half strained something in my back at the gym too so going to clock off early and try grab a bath tonight for myself...I'm worth it

Didn't know you were a L'Oreal model in a past life.

Kept that quiet. :pac:

Didn't know you were a L'Oreal model in a past life.

Kept that quiet. :pac:
    I'm only a millennial :pac:

No bath was had! Ikea furniture was put together though which I'm very happy with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Doing something a bit unusual this Friday, taking a secret day off for myself without the wife or kids, a very rare bit of me time. Maybe other people do this but I cannot remember the last day I was off without being with the wife and kids.

I feel a little burned out so think it might do me good. Nothing crazy planned, might watch a film (John Wick 3 I think), play some games (finish Paper Mario on Switch or start Super Mario 3D All-Stars), drive into town for lunch and a stroll.

Sometime I think it's an odd plan, other times I think it's a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Doing something a bit unusual this Friday, taking a secret day off for myself without the wife or kids, a very rare bit of me time. Maybe other people do this but I cannot remember the last day I was off without being with the wife and kids.

I feel a little burned out so think it might do me good. Nothing crazy planned, might watch a film (John Wick 3 I think), play some games (finish Paper Mario on Switch or start Super Mario 3D All-Stars), drive into town for lunch and a stroll.

Sometime I think it's an odd plan, other times I think it's a great idea.

Has to be done tbh.

I have an exam this coming Friday evening at 19:15 so the missus is taking the nippers down to my folks house in the afternoon and I will follow down at some point on Saturday.

Even with the exam I am positively giddy about having the place to myself for 24 hours and the prospect of an actual, proper, get up when i want to get up lie in on Saturday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Good stuff, best of luck with the exam, be nice to chill out and have a few beers afterwards.

I think generally this year, people have been living in each other's pockets more with the various Covid restrictions. I've been working from home since March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Can't beat a good game of Mario :)
    I think generally this year, people have been living in each other's pockets more with the various Covid restrictions. I've been working from home since March.
    I'm seriously sick and tired of restrictions and regulations. I've followed the rules scrupulously, but I'm just tired. And not knowing when I'll be going home again.
    I'm trying to avoid the news; it's covid covid covid everywhere.

It's a rough patch alright (in many ways)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Took me 3 attempts to find this thread, because I kept getting the older ones.

Everyone done with exams and all that? Can't believe it's almost a certain time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Soooooo I finally treated myself for Black Friday and actually bought something worth talking about, a new TV, the current 15yo 32inch LCD TV is on its last legs so a new one was in order.

I'm like a kid with a new toy :D

The only previous purchase for a Black Friday was an electric toothbrush :pac:

Ah I still remember the friend who bought a huge High Definition TV and was telling everyone how great it was for weeks. When we finally went over we found he had hooked everything up with the old cables (the TV had new ports but backward compatible old ports) and the TV was not actually showing anything in high definition. It was all placebo.

When we set him up with all the right cabling and he got actual high quality image he was beside himself with joy all over again.

I am like a kid myself at the moment. My mates got together and managed to source a Bow not manufactured any more and get it into the country. It must have cost them somewhere between 1500 and 2000 dollars for everything. Maybe even more given the quality and some of the things that came with it. Some of the arrows were I to buy them new would cost 30 dollars. Per arrow.

They didn't see me for the dust when I got it. Been down the beach or the forest or out in the garden with it for the last month in every spare waking moment.

Best. Birthday. Ever. And it is not actually by birthday till next week. They just couldn't wait to give it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

It's Monday and the general chat thread has been resurrected, huzzah!

Got vaccinated 3 weeks ago, mild side effects, but was over it in about 24 hours. Can't believe it's almost May.

Panthro wrote: »
    It's Monday and the general chat thread has been resurrected, huzzah!

At ten to 8, and so I ask....what's your problem Panthro?
    Got vaccinated 3 weeks ago, mild side effects, but was over it in about 24 hours. Can't believe it's almost May.

Congrats TBO, I feel like it's 2 years have passed since this started

Afternoon gents, long time no chat. All good with me. At the end of November meself, the missus and the nippers moved out of Dublin and are now living in the wilds of longford and attempting to plan a house build. Have a site, have planning but getting responses from banks and builders is like pulling bloody teeth but we are hopefully moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. Other than that, it's the same old same old. We all had the rona at Christmas but no major illeffects, kids are loving the outdoor space and we are 2 minutes from my parents so they are helping with childcare which is wonderful as both herself and I are working remotely.

That's all my news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

nippers

Plural?? Congrats man. Last I heard you just had the one :)

D'Agger wrote: »
    At ten to 8, and so I ask....what's your problem Panthro?

Nothing.. I just missed you man.. sniff*

Congrats El gato, lovely long fjord and 2 nippers no less, that'll do!
    I'm older, fatter n none the wiser!

On the upside I'm pretty sure I've not been rona'd, woo!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Plural?? Congrats man. Last I heard you just had the one :)

Cheers, yep. Boy turned 4 this month, girl will be 3 in August. Busy busy but great most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Afternoon gents, long time no chat. All good with me. At the end of November meself, the missus and the nippers moved out of Dublin and are now living in the wilds of longford and attempting to plan a house build. Have a site, have planning but getting responses from banks and builders is like pulling bloody teeth but we are hopefully moving in the right direction, albeit slowly. Other than that, it's the same old same old. We all had the rona at Christmas but no major illeffects, kids are loving the outdoor space and we are 2 minutes from my parents so they are helping with childcare which is wonderful as both herself and I are working remotely.

That's all my news.

Longford? How's Longford? It's somewhere I know exists somewhere.

I've to get my first crown. I'd no idea what they are but I do wonder why people become dentists.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Longford? How's Longford? It's somewhere I know exists somewhere.

I've to get my first crown. I'd no idea what they are but I do wonder why people become dentists.

Ah it's grand, very country but we are currently renting 2 minutes from my home house so I don't mind. Country living for the kids is great tbh. My folks have a farm, last weekend we dug a big vegetable patch and have to sow it this weekend. Its super.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ah there's still a bit of life in this old thread :D

How's everyone?

Unreal that it's almost June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭chewed

Unreal that it's almost June.

Unreal that it's still raining! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It has been a truly rotten May weather wise. Thing is though, if May is stunning June and July are often pretty poor afterwards.

Here’s hoping for a better June! :)

• Advertisement

I want September to be gorgeous!
    (supposed to be getting married, we've put it off twice. Don't wana do that again!)
    Hon the sunshine!

Anyone else avin a rum and listening to Praise You no?
    I understand it may be a bit of along shot!

Anyone else avin a rum and listening to Praise You no?
    I understand it may be a bit of along shot!

Away outta that with your late 90s stuff.

I'm sorry. It was the rum posting..
    It somehow rendered me nostalgic!

Good weekend everyone? Lovely bbq here yesterday. Wake up today to the pishin rain.
    Nice.

Enjoyed it, had some family over to visit for the first time in over a year, so had some lunch in a restaurant outside in their beer garden enjoying the sunshine and my first fathers day as a father :D

Took 3 weeks off work as herself was going back to work after maternity leave so the little one was gonna have a bit of a shock. The weather has been unreal for it.

Been out for 2-3 walks a day every day with the little one, it's lovely going for a walk on the beach or down to the park and relaxing with a coffee watching the world go by as she snoozes.

One week left and so making the most of it. :)

• Advertisement

Enjoyed it, had some family over to visit for the first time in over a year, so had some lunch in a restaurant outside in their beer garden enjoying the sunshine and my first fathers day as a father :D

Took 3 weeks off work as herself was going back to work after maternity leave so the little one was gonna have a bit of a shock. The weather has been unreal for it.

Been out for 2-3 walks a day every day with the little one, it's lovely going for a walk on the beach or down to the park and relaxing with a coffee watching the world go by as she snoozes.

One week left and so making the most of it. :)

Fair play man. That age is a great time. I miss it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Good weekend everyone?
    It was great. Took a nice stroll to Gameshtop, watched sport, chilled out in my new woven shorts and took my Jordan F1 flags out of storage. Gonna hang them up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Does anyone here build Lego Technic? I went back to it this year and built a McLaren and a Jeep :cool:

Not Technic but a while back I got the Lego Yellow Submarine and a couple of weeks ago bought the Lego Ecto 1 (car from Ghostbusters), Havent started on it yet, its about 2500 pieces and I have two toddlers so difficult to find somewhere to keep it out of reach from little hands.

In other news, got an exam result yesterday, successfully passed it so Ive now gained the qualification I was going for. Felt I had passed it but you never bloody know, chuffed to have it over the line, there may be some beers had tonight. :D

Nice one Gato, well done!
    Beer cat says meeeeoww!

Nice one Gato, well done!
    Beer cat says meeeeoww!

Hes always lurking.

Lurking and waiting.

:pac:

I looked at Technic awhile ago and there was just too much choice. I couldn't really select one to fit my skill level or my kids skill level. And I got distracted and gave up. Didn't want something too easy that would just bore the kids and make them lose interest. Also didn't want something way too hard so they give up and lose interest :)

Might look at it again. (Daughter nearly 11 and son just turned 7 and are generally relatively technical and arty for their age so would likely aim for something above their age like mid-late-teens level).

Recently we have started building our own Telecaster Style Guitars. That's been fun but a slow enough project as we keep putting it down and coming back to it as time allows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I tried Lego and then Mechano with my two girls when they were young which went down well enough, but nothing special. I also got them a couple of chemistry kits which went down very well; messy, smelly, colourful and blowing things up. What's not to like? Eldest is now very much a science and maths nerd in final year physics in UCD so money not entirely wasted. Put together a decent electronics lab with her in lockdown with scope, signal injector, soldering station and a variety of components, breadboard, transducers and stepper motors. Great craic and a decent electronics kit would be fun to have with slightly older kids.
    Lego Technic also sounds like great fun, but will probably have to wait for grandkids before getting the excuse for that purchase.

Advertisement