Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2

Options
  • 05-04-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

I’m just wondering if anyone has upgraded to this? It has just been released and has improved video and audio along with other features. I’ve ordered it and it is en-route to me.

See here:

https://eu.ring.com/products/video-doorbell-pro-2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Fitted one at the weekend to replace the Pro. Higher resolution is nice. Wasn't sure about the head-to-toe view but think I prefer that now - can actually see what's on the doorstep.

Enabled the 3D tracking thing but it seems a bit gimmicky on my tiny doorstep tbh.

Only niggle was having to swap out the backing wedge (third party from memory) that was in place as it didn't fit the rounded corners on the back of the Pro 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

ethernet wrote: »
    Fitted one at the weekend to replace the Pro. Higher resolution is nice. Wasn't sure about the head-to-toe view but think I prefer that now - can actually see what's on the doorstep.

Enabled the 3D tracking thing but it seems a bit gimmicky on my tiny doorstep tbh.

Only niggle was having to swap out the backing wedge (third party from memory) that was in place as it didn't fit the rounded corners on the back of the Pro 2.

Did you have to install the power kit that came with it? Does it make your existing mechanical/digital doorbell still chime?

Did you have to install the power kit that came with it? Does it make your existing mechanical/digital doorbell still chime?

I didn’t bother - the transformer in the distribution box is already to up scratch. Didn’t touch the chime since bypassing it for the original Pro. Seems to working fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I didn’t bother - the transformer in the distribution box is already to up scratch. Didn’t touch the chime since bypassing it for the original Pro. Seems to working fine

Was the transformer a Ring branded one which is included with the first generation Pro? And also, did they include a new transformer (gen 2) in the box for the Pro 2?

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Was the transformer a Ring branded one which is included with the first generation Pro? And also, did they include a new transformer (gen 2) in the box for the Pro 2?

Nah, it was a Garo model that came with the house and supports multiple voltages.

The Pro 2 and came with a transformer in the box but it was cheap looking and felt flimsy IMO. Wouldn’t be in a hurry to use it.

Just double checking Amazon, the Pro 2 is sold with a choice of the DIN transformer or the plug-in option.

• Advertisement

Nah, it was a Garo model that came with the house and supports multiple voltages.

The Pro 2 and came with a transformer in the box but it was cheap looking and felt flimsy IMO. Wouldn’t be in a hurry to use it.

Just double checking Amazon, the Pro 2 is sold with a choice of the DIN transformer or the plug-in option.

What voltage are you getting off your Pro 2? Mine is saying 28V and that’s too high! The Pro was fine with the same transformer- the original one supplied with the pro.

What voltage are you getting off your Pro 2? Mine is saying 28V and that’s too high! The Pro was fine with the same transformer- the original one supplied with the pro.

That’s odd. You’d think it would behave the same.
    I’m seeing 26V right now

I’m seeing 26V right now

I get 27V sometimes which is “Good”. Once it hits 28V you get the “Danger” message.

There is a Power Pro Kit v3 that is available for the Ring Pro 2 - this should help regulate the voltage in your setup if you did not use the original transformer (Black) bundled with the Ring Pro 2. This PPK v3 also allows you to use an existing compatible doorbells as well (e.g. a 24v technical bell). However, it's currently out of stock from the Ring site. Only the PPK v2 for the Ring Pro 1 is available.

There is a Power Pro Kit v3 that is available for the Ring Pro 2 - this should help regulate the voltage in your setup if you did not use the original transformer (Black) bundled with the Ring Pro 2. This PPK v3 also allows you to use an existing compatible doorbells as well (e.g. a 24v technical bell). However, it's currently out of stock from the Ring site. Only the PPK v2 for the Ring Pro 1 is available.

I received that and it made no difference. The transformer supplied with the Pro 2 is DC and will not ring your existing mechanical chime I believe. I’ll get a Garo transformer and see if that helps.

• Advertisement

I’m seeing 26V right now

Is this your transformer?

Is this your transformer?

That’s the one alright.

I received that and it made no difference. The transformer supplied with the Pro 2 is DC and will not ring your existing mechanical chime I believe. I’ll get a Garo transformer and see if that helps.

It should also work with the original DIN transformer (White and Ring branded) provided for the Ring Pro v1 with the PPK v3, and this should work with an existing mechanical bell (at least in theory). However, Ring don't sell the 1st gen transformer anymore, only the 2nd gen. I want to keep my mechanical bell working (handy when wifi is down) as I have with the Ring Pro v1 so waiting on the availability for the PPK v3 before making the leap to Ring Pro V2. Also good to hear if anyone has it working in this setup before I take the dive :)

It should also work with the original DIN transformer (White and Ring branded) provided for the Ring Pro v1 with the PPK v3, and this should work with an existing mechanical bell (at least in theory). However, Ring don't sell the 1st gen transformer anymore, only the 2nd gen. I want to keep my mechanical bell working (handy when wifi is down) as I have with the Ring Pro v1 so waiting on the availability for the PPK v3 before making the leap to Ring Pro V2. Also good to hear if anyone has it working in this setup before I take the dive :)

It’s working for me with the original branded Ring supplied transformer from the original Pro 1 and my mechanical chime is ringing. The issue I have is that the Ring app is telling me that the voltage is too high at 28V. It should not be even hitting 28V as the transformer is set for 24V. I gather there can be fluctuations but not by 4V. Also, the transformer supplied with the Ring Pro 2 is a DC transformer so I am told it will not make your mechanical chime ring. This is for Europe only. In the US their mechanical chimes work on a higher voltage seemingly. In any case, I’m getting the transformer changed to a Garo transformer to see if it will supply the correct voltage.

It’s working for me with the original branded Ring supplied transformer from the original Pro 1 and my mechanical chime is ringing. The issue I have is that the Ring app is telling me that the voltage is too high at 28V. It should not be even hitting 28V as the transformer is set for 24V. I gather there can be fluctuations but not by 4V. Also, the transformer supplied with the Ring Pro 2 is a DC transformer so I am told it will not make your mechanical chime ring. This is for Europe only. In the US their mechanical chimes work on a higher voltage seemingly. In any case, I’m getting the transformer changed to a Garo transformer to see if it will supply the correct voltage.

Got it now. Out of curiosity, how did you get the PPK v3 - did you have to request that from Ring separately since it's not contained in the box with the Pro 2? Fyi, I currently have a Pro 1 with the PPK v2 also registers 27V (Good) all the time. It used to register fluctuations in the previous firmware when it was measured in mv and used to fluctuate between 3990mv and 4010 mv which I was told by Ring was normal.

Got it now. Out of curiosity, how did you get the PPK v3 - did you have to request that from Ring separately since it's not contained in the box with the Pro 2? Fyi, I currently have a Pro 1 with the PPK v2 also registers 27V (Good) all the time. It used to register fluctuations in the previous firmware when it was measured in mv and used to fluctuate between 3990mv and 4010 mv which I was told by Ring was normal.

Yeah mine used to register those fluctuations too on the previous version. You have to request it separately but to be honest you probably don’t need it.

Yeah mine used to register those fluctuations too on the previous version. You have to request it separately but to be honest you probably don’t need it.

Keep us updated on how you get on when you upgrade to the GARO transformer.

Keep us updated on how you get on when you upgrade to the GARO transformer.

The Ring transformer was sending 31V to the Doorbell but 27-29V was showing up in the app. On the Garo it was sending 28V to the Doorbell but showing up as 25V in the app which is fine. So it looks like a 3V drop between what is being sent to the Doorbell and what is being received. A 7V difference between what the Ring transformer was sending vs. what it is meant to is crazy though.

The Ring transformer was sending 31V to the Doorbell but 27-29V was showing up in the app. On the Garo it was sending 28V to the Doorbell but showing up as 25V in the app which is fine. So it looks like a 3V drop between what is being sent to the Doorbell and what is being received. A 7V difference between what the Ring transformer was sending vs. what it is meant to is crazy though.

yeh that's pretty bad. I've checked mine a few times this week and it seems to vary from 25v to 27v on mine. With the Garo, is your existing chime working and did you have to use the PPK v3?

yeh that's pretty bad. I've checked mine a few times this week and it seems to vary from 25v to 27v on mine. With the Garo, is your existing chime working and did you have to use the PPK v3?

Existing chime is working and didn’t have to use the PPK. Anyone going from using a battery in their mechanical chime to using power will notice a louder “ding dong” but it is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 SJCKelly

Hi Folks

Thanks for the good info here! I'm trying to get my mechanical chime working with my Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 and I think I've got an answer - The Ring device itself is happy with AC or DC, and the supplied DIN trafo gives you the 24V DC. However, any mechanical chime sold in Ireland needs AC. So I plan to replace the 24VDC supplied trafo with a 24V AC trafo.

How did you get on with the Garo transformer? I see it is only an 8VA transformer, where the Ring device requires a max of 40VA. Has it worked OK? Any issues?

Stephen

The Garo works fine with it. I’m getting 24V/25V as per the Ring app.

Thank you! I'll give it a try!

Don’t work on the fuse-board yourself- get an electrician and tell them to wire the Garo for 24V as it can be wired for 8 and 12 volts.

Yes - will do. My main thought was that the Ring spec calls for a trafo to support a peak of 40VA, while the Garo supplies 8VA. But I can't find another 24V DIN rail trafo in UK/Ireland that supplies more than 8VA. In the USA, no problem! (I guess they've bigger houses with multiple chimes and all that jazz!)

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

The one you link to is 8vA, not 40vA.

I "inherited" a ring video doorbell 2, which is a few years old. The bell wiring seems to be standard, not changed from a bell push. I intend doing more testing but battery was flat, I recharged it, so I think it's not being charged via old wiring. It seems a bit complicated, but I think this can use AC, but do I need to change bell or transformer to get it to charge the ring unit? Previous owner said it had not worked for years, so I assume it never charged.

Update, looking at this I think it should charge without modifying bell or transformer. I'll check it in coming weeks

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003011986-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Hardwired-vs-Battery-Powered-Operation

If I was you I’d replace the doorbell with the Ring Video Doorbell Pro 2 which is hardwired. The in-laws had a video doorbell 2 with the battery which was “hardwired” but they hadn’t used it in months as they were getting renovations done and couldn’t charge it on once renovations were complete - it was just dead.

I am having issues with transferring ownership from previous owner. I am in contact with ring support.

In terms of limitations of older models it's my "guess" that my model , should, charge slowly over old bell wiring, and it would only record when bell button is pushed as it does not have enough energy arriving to operate 24/7. It uses the battery to operate from a weak supply, or the battery can be charged every few months if no supply is available. I'll update on my progress. I have overlapping CCTV so 24/7 recording is not critical. I have too many projects to spend too much time on this.

• Advertisement

I charged mine back from dead using an old usb lead, and device came to life. It may not come back to life being charged by doorbell wiring. There is typically protection built into the battery to prevent it going too flat, so it will likely recover, but yes if battery is totally flat the protection circuit will refuse to charge it over usb

Advertisement