31-03-2021, 10:13   #271
bobbyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Tator
I've read it - ages ago. I recall enjoying it and subsequently being disappointed to learn that some scholars took issue with several of her claims (I think about the meeting with QE1 ??). I've not followed up on that. I've no recollection of the Irish names being an issue and I'm by no means fluent. Chambers' book on the Countess of Desmond is also a good read.

Great stuff. It's good to get feedback. Will give her another go on that one. Currently reading life of George 111 by Janice Hadlow.
Advertisement
31-03-2021, 11:29   #272
Mick Tator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyss View Post
Great stuff. It's good to get feedback. Will give her another go on that one. Currently reading life of George 111 by Janice Hadlow.

A very good read, highly recommended, is 'Dublin under the Georges' by Constantia Maxwell. It flows very well and is interlaced with interesting 'obscure' details. She was the first female lecturer in TCD.
Thanks from:
05-05-2021, 12:06   #273
Rmulvany

I'm looking to do some reading into Dál Riata / Dalriada.
If anyone can recommend any decent books I can add to my list that would be great
05-05-2021, 17:52   #274
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmulvany View Post
I'm looking to do some reading into Dál Riata / Dalriada.
If anyone can recommend any decent books I can add to my list that would be great
Alot of the issues with regards reading about Dál Riata/Riada is that their Irish territories basically got swamped by expansion of the Dál nAraidi -- as a result by the 7th century onwards it's mostly restricted to Western Scotland.

As a result most books are gonna be context of Scottish history. "Early Christian Ireland" by TM Charles-Edwards (University of Cambridge press) has a section on the wider North-East that can be read on Google Books:

https://books.google.ie/books?id=g6y...page&q&f=false

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Chris...s=books&sr=1-1
(2) thanks from:
27-05-2021, 12:22   #275
Manach

For those who enjoy Classical history, I'd recommend the following recent reads/listens:

Philip and Alexander by Adrian Goldsworthy
The Jewish War by Flavius Josephus (on audiobook)
Advertisement
27-05-2021, 12:25   #276
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manach View Post
For those who enjoy Classical history, I'd recommend the following recent reads/listens:

Philip and Alexander by Adrian Goldsworthy
The Jewish War by Flavius Josephus (on audiobook)
I impulsively bought the Goldsworthy book as a bit of an impulse. Glad to see someone else approves of it.
Thanks from:
01-06-2021, 20:34   #277
eire4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyss View Post
Has anybody read Anne Chambers' Grace O'Malley book?
I tried but just could not get past the first few pages with unrecognizable and unpronucable names. I thought the writer should be aware of how off putting this might be. Surely there's a story to be told? I just wonder if anyone has read this book and their thoughts. Any orher books on her?
I have read it and thought it was excellent. Would recommend it for sure. I also read her The Geraldine Conspiracy which I though was very good as well.
01-06-2021, 20:47   #278
eire4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtmann View Post
On general European history:

Norman Davies, Europe: A History.

On witch hunts:

B.P. Levack, The witch-hunt in early modern Europe; Kramer and Sprenger, Malleus Maleficarum.

On the Black Death, see Ziegler's book of that title; for the BD in Ireland, see the book by Maria Kelly.

On the emergence of twentieth-century forms of scientific racism - and I'm talking primary sources here - see

Gobineau, Essay on the inequality of the human races (1853);
HS Chamberlain, Foundations of the nineteenth-century 2 vols (1899);
M. Grant, The Passing of the Great Race, or, the racial basis of European History (1916);
Stoddard, The Rising Tide of Color against White World Supremacy;
Hitler, Mein Kampf; see also

Coon, The Races of Europe (1939);
Ripley, The Races of Europe (1899);
Deniker, The Races of Man (1899).

Biographies

Bainton, Here I stand: a life of Martin Luther;
Guy, My Heart is my own: Mary Queen of Scots;
Jenkins, Churchill.

Irish interest

For medieval-early modern, see anything by:

Hiram Morgan;
David Edwards;
Brendan Bradshaw;
J. Ohlmeyer;
N. Canny;
K. Nicholls;
Simms;
Ellis;
D. O'Corrain.

Of course, for modern Irish, see Roy Foster's Modern Ireland 1600-1972.

I could go on...!
I liked Norman Davies History of Europe very well done as was the History of Wales by John Davies.

Last edited by eire4; 01-06-2021 at 20:54.
01-06-2021, 21:25   #279
eire4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edolan View Post
Rebels by Peter De Rosa is the best novel i've read about the 1916 rising.
I enjoyed that. You should try Morgan Llewelyn's Irish century series as well which includes the rising they are excellent as well if you like historical ficition. The books in that series go: 1916, 1921, 1949 and 1972. All very good.
Advertisement
01-06-2021, 21:35   #280
eire4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRMA View Post
The famine plot by Tim pat coogan. Terrific.

Although it will haunt you.
Great read but I know what you mean.
01-06-2021, 21:36   #281
eire4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_I View Post
How was that book in regards to its chapters? I mean what is the main topic he´s concentrating by each decade. I´m considering to evtl. buy that book some time, but still I don´t know whether it is not just merely a repeating of most events also to find in T.P. Coogans book about Ireland in the 20th Century.
I have both books and they are both well worth the read IMHO. I enjoyed both very much. I am especially an avid Tim Pat Coogan reader.
01-06-2021, 21:51   #282
eire4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
Peter Taylors book on the IRA, "Provos: Behind The Mask" - I thinks that's the best book written on the Provisional IRA. Peter Taylor unlike a lot of other authors really understands the the Republican movement & it's culture, and he has a great insight into it.

"Big boys Rules: The SAS and the Secret Struggle against the IRA" by Mark Urban is briliant. Again I love the little details he goes into, for example like explaining the IRA's digger bomb attack on The Birches, from planning stages, right up until the IRA Volunteers got back to safety, explaining how man men were used & how they were used, that a small bomb attack on Pomperoy barracks wa just a diversion, how the IRA vols escaped into Belfast b boat through Lough Neagh which is only about a mile from the Birches. Details like that in it were great.

Anne CadWallader's books "Lethal Allies: Britih Collusion in Ireland" is a great book on the activities of the Glenanne Gang from 1972 - 1978.

And both Don Mullan's & Joe Tiernan's books on the Dublin & Monaghan bombings are both very good.
I thought Anne Cadwallader's book Lethal Allies was stunning and a great read. If you liked that you should look up Sean McPhiley's The Committee overlaps to an extent with Lethal Allies.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion