Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is the burning passion for having an open fire?

Options
  • 04-12-2019 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭

I do like them yes but i havent had an open fire in the house for over 5 years now and dont personally miss it and got on with life without one grand and havent froze to death in the winter months.

hauling in filthy bloody dirty coal from the freezing cold outside , cleaning out the grate dust everywhere, having to get the chimney cleaned once or twice a year, uncontrollable, hard to light most times, filthy stinking smoke blowed back into the room if the wind is blowing the wrong way, most of the heat going up the chimney and sparks off the coal spitting out onto the floor potentially causing a house fire - no thanks to all of that I have opted for cleaner modern fuel which heats up the rads and hot water at the flick of a switch.

so anyway, yesterday the local radio station said on their facebook page:

"We Irish need to stop lighting fires in our homes.
    That's according to Dr Michael O'Dwyer of the Environmental Protection Agency, who says cosy fires in the winter need to become a thing of the past.
    He says he knows people may be angry and not even believe the facts on air pollution, but this is the situation.
    Do you agree or not?
    We'll be discussing on North West Today on Wednesday"

(I didnt hear the show this morning, maybe i can get it on podcast or something)

well needless to say do i even have to tell you some of the comments underneath .. but I will:

"I will freeze to death if I dont light a fire"

"Good luck with that, I am not going to stop lighting my fire"

"how am I gonna heat up my rads and water without my open fire?"

"you can take my land but you are not having my cosy fire!"

haha, some wonderful feedback LOL .

But it just shows you a bit of how people especially in rural northwest of Ireland are passionate of their open coal fires as a matter of life or death (why?) - sounds like if legislation went through to ban coal fires that an all out riot could break out - maybe even more of an issue than paying for water!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

b6d944e74db85386f21a12289060f81e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Where else do you roast the chestnuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

ELM327 wrote: »
    Where else do you roast the chestnuts?

Feck that. Kept burning my thighs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

_Brian wrote: »
    Feck that. Kept burning my thighs

Thats a different type of nut

When it gets too intense you can’t dial it down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Bobblehats wrote: »

You need a soapstone stove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Of course you can. Just fcuk a pot of water over it.

limnam wrote: »
    You need a soapstone stove.

That’s not addressing the hearth of the matter
    pablo128 wrote: »
    Of course you can. Just fcuk a pot of water over it.

Steamy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I have a new build house and I am a little bit sad I'll never have an open fire again. They are just lovely and cosy and give a fantastic glow, always brilliant during power cuts too. There's something soothing about the flicking warm light and the heat and the gentle crackling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Have a sister who will never give up, her open fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Nothing more relaxing than lying down listening to the fire singing on a cold winter's evening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was always fascinated and amused by witnessing how close our various cats could get to the fire. A full intensity open fire in my parents’ house was a very full-on thing and one of our cats would be spread out right along the grate, nose almost touching it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

He’s right in what he’s saying. The particulate matter from open fires is really bad for you. Not to mention the environmental impact Bord na Mona has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

"We Irish need to stop lighting fires in our homes.
    That's according to Dr Michael O'Dwyer of the Environmental Protection Agency, who says cosy fires in the winter need to become a thing of the past.
    He says he knows people may be angry and not even believe the facts on air pollution, but this is the situation.

I love my open fire and my firepit out the back.

That fella is a gobsh1te he is looking at some tiny aspect and ignoring the major causes of pollution.
    His theory is just pissing in the wind , I'd suspect him to be a paid industry shill with horsesh1t like that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He’s right in what he’s saying. The particulate matter from open fires is really bad for you. Not to mention the environmental impact Bord na Mona has.
    So what exactly does that mean in real life, like? It's the burning down of houses by fires that kills people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Rubbish!
    Of course you can -

https://tinyurl.com/s66b8k7 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The Murican's have their freedom and guns, the Irish have their coal fires!

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Rubbish!
    Of course you can -

https://tinyurl.com/s66b8k7 ;)

Right you are. Because a sack of slack is top of everyone’s shopping list

• High quality slack
    Gives strong heat & burns well
    • Keeps fire burning at night
    • Ideal for open fires

Here what did I say?! Will stick to my dimplex thanks ~

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Truckermal wrote: »
    Nothing more relaxing than lying down listening to the fire singing on a cold winter's evening!

make you wonder with the electronics about these days that there not electronics that give out the crackling noise and other noises of a real fire - (there's a marketing idea) on imitation fires for the fireplace.

*when I say imitation I mean that there are imitation open fires and stoves these days that look really realistic to the real thing , be it if they are oil or gas or electric, to look at but they dont have the realistic noises to go along with it , shall I patent that Idea? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Never understood the deep love for them. Ditto spuds.

I mean a fire is nice of course but a fake plug-in dealie is sufficient for me. None of the hassle or cleaning either. And it won't die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Never understood the deep love for them. Ditto spuds.

I mean a fire is nice of course but a fake plug-in dealie is sufficient for me. None of the hassle or cleaning either. And it won't die.

It'll die quick enough if you have a power outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Have a gas one. Not as nice but fcuked if I'm building and cleaning every day for a real one.

colm_mcm wrote: »

well I havent got Asthma these days (did years ago because I lived in a damp mouldy leaky roof house years ago and had to have an inhaler) but you know like when you go out in the (fresh?) air and smell the acrid fumes coming from fires burning smoky coal and turf (especially when foggy and misty and the smog just lies nearer to the ground level) you gotta ask yourself what is that doing to the health of people with breathing problems like Asthma / COPD / emphysema and other breathing issues. Even with me as I say i dont seem to suffer from asthma these days but even if I go outside when everyone has their fires lit I cough me guts up when breathing in C02 from the acrid fumes coming out of people chimneys in the winter.

Also, (I dot know if there is any connection because I am not medically trained) but there seems to be a lot of Asthma and other breathing problems (especially with children as well) in Ireland could that be down to open fires or not helped by it ? - that maybe is another issue we need to look at maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I have a wood burning stove, only burn logs.

When the whole world goes to **** and we all end up back in the dark ages, the only way to keep warm will be open fires. So he can **** right off with his rules.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

Haven't had an open fire for decades, but I love my stoves.

The same cosy glow but no draughts and a fraction of the fuel usage.

Carbon neutral if burning wood.

Also virtually no particulates pollution with modern defra approved stoves.

I have a wood burning stove, only burn logs.

When the whole world goes to **** and we all end up back in the dark ages, the only way to keep warm will be open fires. So he can **** right off with his rules.

do you know when the world will go to **** - until it does will ye not use Gas or oil to heat your rads and water seeing as they are like readily available?

there are cleaner alternatives out there.

many people wash their clothes in a washing machine these days, they no longer go down to the river with a stone and washboard because the washing machine is cleaner, more modern, less hassle and does a good job .
    sure if the electric goes off and you can no longer use the washing machine you will have to wash your clothes in the sink .. but until that time comes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Stoves are so much more efficient than an open fire. We changed over a few years ago and would never go back. Slashed the fuel burn, too. There should be a countrywide ban on coal on an open fire; we had a dense fog in our area a few days ago and the stink of coal around the village was unreal. We keep up the coal burning, we'll end up like the Chinese, wearing masks all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

'Ou can't bate da hate off 'em

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

b6d944e74db85386f21a12289060f81e.jpg

have you heard the story from director Ken Russell surrounding that scene ?

apparently oliver reed was upset about not measuring up to his wrestling partner and insisted on warming up beforehand ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i have a stove insert , maybe im just lacking but it takes a blooming long time to light the thing , usually fails the first time regardless of how many firelighters i use

Advertisement