Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bicycles and cyclists should be banned from most of the important roads, and from narrow roads. The sheer amount of pollution they cause when lines of traffic build up behind them, operating at lower (fuel inefficient) speeds and the acceleration/deceleration has an overall detrimental effect on the environment. This is even worse when they cycle two-abreast - yes it is legal, but it causes more environmental damage by causing huge lines of traffic to build up.

LOL. If only that were an unpopular opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I think that suicide should be allowed for non terminal illness. Who is to say that a mental illness is less debilitating as a physical one?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I think that suicide should be allowed for non terminal illness. Who is to say that a mental illness is less debilitating as a physical one?

But mental illness is not terminal? It can be successfully treated ..... but it's their life and their decision. This is one that I can't make up my mind on.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I don't believe abortion is the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

touts wrote: »
    I believe full state benefits should only be paid to those who have worked a minimum of 5 years in the state.

Even with that all state benefits (unemployment, pension, child benefit) should be paid in vouchers that can only be redeemed against certain items (not bouncy castles, booze, fags, fake tan etc)

People in receipt of free housing should live where the state gives them the free house and not have a choice in that. Any damage they do to the house is taken from their welfare. Once they get a job they start to pay rent to the state at the average rent in the locality.

Voting should be limited to active citizens who have either paid tax or taken part in voluntary work for at least 5 years.

People should pay for water and sewage.

Property tax should be based on the services in your locality and not the value of your home.

There is nothing wrong with a two tier health service. Anyone who pays the tax that funds the health service should have priority access on waiting lists or for private rooms etc.

There should be a three strike and you are out rule in the criminal justice sector. On your third or subsequent conviction you lose all rights to bail, reduced sentences, early release etc. You serve the maximum sentence set down in law and not a day less.

Life means life.
    Ah jeez not vouchers for people on disability or illness benefit or jobseeker's or old age pension ffs. Would you still be advocating it if you were one of them?

Otherwise nothing unpopular there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

People shouldn't have to press a button to get 'permission' to cross a road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

True but the Irish way anyway is just to leggit across once there's a gap in traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Abba987 wrote: »

To which question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Feel free to step into oncoming traffic. Sure what could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Portsalon wrote: »

Yawn. Bye. Your messages have gone blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

But mental illness is not terminal? It can be successfully treated ..... but it's their life and their decision. This is one that I can't make up my mind on.

Naïve to think all mental illnesses can be treated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Naïve to think all mental illnesses can be treated.

can be alleviated, hence yes they can. They cannot be cured in many cases, but eased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I'm OK with it provided it's before the baby is conscious of what is happening

After that, don't care if it's a rape or incest case, give up for adoption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Beatles aren't anywhere near as good as they are lauded.

In fact, lyrically they are very basic. How many of their hits have the same words occurring over and over again?

Queen are far better and pioneering. Heck, I would go as far to say that both Oasis and Coldplay have released catchier songs than the Fab Four. Don't Look Back in Anger as an example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

In fact, lyrically they are very basic. How many of their hits have the same words occurring over and over again?

Queen are far better and pioneering. Heck, I would go as far to say that both Oasis and Coldplay have released catchier songs than the Fab Four. Don't Look Back in Anger as an example.

Oasis are basically a very poor Beatles tribute act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I agree with that and can confirm this is indeed a very unpopular opinion to have. Just yesterday my husband and I had a heated argument because I'd rather sit through an Elton John gig than listening to a full Beatles album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Queen are the most overrated band ever

unpopular opinion: nobodys opinion about music has ever been worth expressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Barry's and Lyons are both absolute muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Feel free to step into oncoming traffic. Sure what could possibly go wrong?

Why, if only there was an alternative that gave priority to people over vehicles. Stripey thing on the road, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I know I will probably be lynched for this but here it goes.

I don't think parents that have a severly disabled child, and by that I mean a child that needs 24 hour care, should go on to have more children. Not because I think they will have more disabled children but because I think it takes away from the time they should be spending with a) the disabled child and b) the younger sibling. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Got to be the most shocking post in the history of boards :eek::eek:

Barry's yes, but as for Lyons? Let's not say things we can't take back... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Pringles are not crisps.
    They are a reformed powdered potato snack.
    And they're sh1te.
    Pure sh1te

But Hula Hoops are that too. And Hula Hoops are magnificent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You can wear them on your fingers, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

In the grand scheme of things the Russian interference in the American elections are insignificant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hula Hoops are not crisps, either.
    I do, however, agree that they are a damn fine potato snack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭jcorr

Raconteuse wrote: »

I find those cheap Tesco tea bags give the best tea out of the lot of em. God I'm so cheap. Haha

What's going to happen after Brexit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Kids with ADHD and other such conditions seem to come in higher percentages from families from lower socio-economic backgrounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Most of oasis music is very tame cringeworthy lyrically but because of their reputation as hard drinking rock stars, it makes them cool. In America, Oasis are received how they ought to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Raconteuse wrote: »

Lyons is absolute ****e, since the change.

Barry's is grand.

I say this as a former Lyons man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Bringing a child into the world into poverty or where there is regular drug or alcohol abuse is a form of child abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

NIMAN wrote: »
    Kids with ADHD and other such conditions seem to come in higher percentages from families from lower socio-economic backgrounds?

Maybe because parents with adhd are more likely to have children with adhd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BDI wrote: »
    Maybe because parents with adhd are more likely to have children with adhd.

But should that be?

I have had people argue that kids are born with ADHD.

So you think its a learned condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

NIMAN wrote: »

It's being over diagnosed. Kids have energy, need to be outside and engaged in something interesting. School is certainly not as interesting as learning outside or running around

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    It's being over diagnosed. Kids have energy, need to be outside and engaged in something interesting. School is certainly not as interesting as learning outside or running around
    Lifestyle and diet is a big factor also the amount of adult human interaction as compared to being left with other kids or a television.

Lifestyle and diet is a big factor also the amount of adult human interaction as compared to being left with other kids or a television.

Of course, but the school environment of sit down, shut up and listen to me is certainly not helpful

Of course, but the school environment of sit down, shut up and listen to me is certainly not helpful
    I can't say. I liked school. But i was prepared for it.

I can't say. I liked school. But i was prepared for it.

It was ok for me for the most part. But generally I spent the vast amount of my time outside of school, outdoors(camping, nature watching etc).

But have a few memories of former classmates who were literally liked caged animals in class and today would probably be told they had ADHD, and medicated heavily ....1 of which is a moderately successful artist(shows in small London Galleries).

Everyone is different, but we have only 1 approach to educate children, and the kids who don't trive in that setting are starting to get medicated with pharmaceutical speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hula Hoops are not crisps, either.
    I do, however, agree that they are a damn fine potato snack.

So it’s not reformed potato snacks per se that you have a problem with? Because I agree, Pringles are manky. Hula Hoops however are delicioso.

• Advertisement

It was ok for me for the most part. But generally I spent the vast amount of my time outside of school, outdoors(camping, nature watching etc).

But have a few memories of former classmates who were literally liked caged animals in class and today would probably be told they had ADHD, and medicated heavily ....1 of which is a moderately successful artist(shows in small London Galleries).

Everyone is different, but we have only 1 approach to educate children, and the kids who don't trive in that setting are starting to get medicated with pharmaceutical speed
    Well yes Irish education is very streamlined until you get to third level i suppose.

There are lots of ways to teach maths that might be more interactive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Toffie pops are better than Jammie Dodgers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

We're not biologically designed to sleep for 8 hours straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

To put my last post in context:

In biphasic or segmented sleep patterns you sleep in two segments within any 24 hours, either waking naturally around this time before going back to sleep again for another few hours or sleeping a few hours or napping during the day.

Throughout most of human history that is the way most human beings naturally slept. It's only since the industrialised age with the demands of bosses expecting set working hours, and artificial lighting that the majority of us have become monophasic.

Biphasic sleeping has health advantages as it keeps us more within our own circadian rhythms, and the waking time between first and second sleep can be very productive.
    I do it for months on end, during the winter in particular. Best sleep I ever get and I like the two fingered salute it gives to the dictates of modern life. I also find myself being very creative at times during the two hours or so from 1 or 2 to 3am before second sleep. More so than during the day.

https://www.sciencealert.com/humans-used-to-sleep-in-two-shifts-maybe-we-should-again

In pre-industrial Europe..."During this waking period, people would relax, ponder their dreams, or have sex. Some would engage in activities like sewing, chopping wood, or reading, relying on the light of the moon or oil lamps."

In medieval England people would also say Matins or visit their neighbours during this time between first and second sleep.

I like to read or knit mostly, or if my fiancee is here... ;)
    Don't think my neighbours would be too happy about me knocking on their doors at 2am for a chat. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Heard this one today - Amazon rain forest didn't catch fire and its all a big hoax or exaggerated - the reasoning was all images in the media are either close ups of trees or forest burning, pictures from other forest fires and there's no Arial views of the fire only digital ones used in weather reports.

Permabear earlier today: "Coldplay are derivative compared to innovative Beatles".

*Convenient deletion after no thanks/recognition.*

Nobody subscribes to patronising point of view, poster looks to recover dignity by straining towards carefully selected argument that reinforces subjective bias. A transparent reach for credibility, shallow "facts" foundering on contact with reality.

Future shock: Insistence on removal of presence from boards after being persistently humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

what unpopular opinions do you hold on boards and in real life?

Most of my opinions are extremely unpopular on boards. My views are very conservative and extremely rigid because I know I am right. I would urge you all to repent your sins and do penance. By the way, I am absolutely hopeless at penance.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Cyclists that do not cycle on cycle lanes when they are provided right beside them should be shot.

I got stuck behind 2 cyclists the other day that held me up for a good few minutes, there was a bloody brand new 2 lane cycle path right beside them, but they wanted to cycle on the road in front of me instead. When I beeped at them I got the finger and when I gave out when eventually overtaking them one of them decided it would be a good idea to punch my back window. Lets finish the story at this point!!!

But yeah, shoot them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Cyclists that do not cycle on cycle lanes when they are provided right beside them should be shot.

I got stuck behind 2 cyclists the other day that held me up for a good few minutes, there was a bloody brand new 2 lane cycle path right beside them, but they wanted to cycle on the road in front of me instead. When I beeped at them I got the finger and when I gave out when eventually overtaking them one of them decided it would be a good idea to punch my back window. Lets finish the story at this point!!!

But yeah, shoot them.

I think it should be law if a cycle lane is there that cyclist must use it . There is a great new cycle lane near us and yet some cyclist insist on being on the road
    And before I am told about uneven surfaces it is new and clean and even

But yeah, shoot them.
    That's actually a popular opinion - and rightly so.

My less popular opinion is that cyclists on non urban roads have the right to use the roads like everyone else, and slowing down cars has to be accepted as they can't go any faster. Still can't bear them though. :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement