Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

And other stuff that's never happened......

I have absolutely no reason to make up the fact that one place I've been to has done that. Some places hand you the card machine with the tip screen which I leave empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The reason delivery drivers have a job in the first place is because we are all too lazy.

Perhaps they should be tipping us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭facehugger99

In social situations where there is a reasonable expectation on behalf of the service provider that they might receive a tip (taxi, barber, delivery person, etc), I don't like to disappoint them by not giving them anything.

I'm basically doing it because it makes me feel good - for selfish reasons.

The nice feelings engendered are worth the euro or two for me.

For some miserable bastards, the loss of that one or two euro overrides any other considerations so I can totally understand their stance on not tipping.

Ultimately we are all self-centered creatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In social situations where there is a reasonable expectation on behalf of the service provider that they might receive a tip (taxi, barber, delivery person, etc), I don't like to disappoint them by not giving them anything.

I'm basically doing it because it makes me feel good - for selfish reasons.

The nice feelings engendered are worth the euro or two for me.

For some miserable bastards, the loss of that one or two euro overrides any other considerations so I can totally understand their stance on not tipping.

Ultimately we are all self-centered creatures.

It really doesn’t follow that people who don’t tip are miserable.

Do you give random strangers a euro or bc 2? Presumably that would also make both them and you feel good?

I'd characterise it as you feeling good for not going against the social pressure.

I will always pay what I owe otherwise I'd feel bad, but I don't pay more than I owe because that's ridiculous. If the barber thinks his company is worth charging extra for then they should add it to the total price. Then I'd decide if I want to use the service and pay the price. But there's no way I'll pay extra to be asked about my holiday or whatever other great chat they have in story.

What does your barber do to deserve a tip? (Beyond cut your hair as you want and be a pleasant professional?)

Haven't read the entire thread, but used to do deliveries during college. I'd say 50-70% of people tipped. Even before I did the job, I'd personally be absolutely embarrassed to have someone haul nearly €100 worth of food up to the top floor of an apartment block, for example, then stand there waiting for my €1.20 change. I remember one guy taking his order and meekly saying "eh, they'll give you the €1 delivery charge, right?"... "No, I just do this job for free".

This probably won't go down well, but customers who are known not to tip, usually would be left waiting longer for their food. If you're given three bags and one is a known non-tipper, they'd be left until last. So, even though of course it's not obligatory, not tipping even a euro or two can leave you waiting an extra 20-30 mins or so in future. Just reality. On the flip side, drivers tend to go out of their way to get straight to customers who will tip. It's not only about the euro or whatever, it's as much the gesture/appreciation.

This probably won't go down well, but customers who are known not to tip, usually would be left waiting longer for their food. If you're given three bags and one is a known non-tipper, they'd be left until last. So, even though of course it's not obligatory, not tipping even a euro or two can leave you waiting an extra 20-30 mins or so in future. Just reality. On the flip side, drivers tend to go out of their way to get straight to customers who will tip. It's not only about the euro or whatever, it's as much the gesture/appreciation.

That's human nature. I'd never order food for delivery during busy times. Either get in before the rush or go collect it myself or expect the food to come whenever it comes and don't expect it to be fresh.

Unless I was desperate I'd never pick the last option, I'd make an egg on toast in 5 mins sooner than wait an hour for cold food. And I'd usually go for the second option. And if a delivery was usually cold or late, I'd just go elsewhere. I know from experience that lots of people keep going back to their favourite takeaway regardless of how cold it is when it arrives.

Do you give random strangers a euro or bc 2? Presumably that would also make both them and you feel good?

I'd imagine it would make us both feel weird.

False equivalence TBH.

I'd imagine it would make us both feel weird.

False equivalence TBH.

So there's an implication that the deliver driver had earned the tip from you. Apart from just doing their job (bring the correct order to the correct house and being pleasant), how have they earned extra money?

So there's an implication that the deliver driver had earned the tip from you. Apart from just doing their job (bring the correct order to the correct house and being pleasant), how have they earned extra money?

I think I've explained my reasoning pretty well. I'd suggest re-reading my post if you're still confused.

Over-explaining bores me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Here's the problem with the anti-tipping stance (and, for clarity, I don't and never have worked in an industry where tipping is standard)...

If you follow it through, you live in a world where people who work in service industries have zero incentive to go above and beyond the absolute bare minimum. Taxi driving is a good example of this free market economy in action, as it's based purely off what they earn on the job plus tips: if taxi drivers don't have both tipping and accountability (by way of review apps like FreeNow) to keep them somewhat honest, they have no reason not to rip you off whenever an opportunity presents itself. The "but it's the nice/professional thing to do" argument doesn't wash when you weigh that up against it being how they feed and clothe their children.

With varying degrees, you can apply this logic to all industries where tipping is a factor. Though it obviously depends on a case-by-case basis, even if you opt out of it entirely you directly benefit from the tipping system being in play. So that's where people are coming from when they call you miserable/tight for doing so: you are essentially getting an additional service and choosing not to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

leggo wrote: »
    Here's the problem with the anti-tipping stance (and, for clarity, I don't and never have worked in an industry where tipping is standard)...

If you follow it through, you live in a world where people who work in service industries have zero incentive to go above and beyond the absolute bare minimum. Taxi driving is a good example of this free market economy in action, as it's based purely off what they earn on the job plus tips: if taxi drivers don't have both tipping and accountability (by way of review apps like FreeNow) to keep them somewhat honest, they have no reason not to rip you off whenever an opportunity presents itself. The "but it's the nice/professional thing to do" argument doesn't wash when you weigh that up against it being how they feed and clothe their children.

With varying degrees, you can apply this logic to all industries where tipping is a factor. Though it obviously depends on a case-by-case basis, even if you opt out of it entirely you directly benefit from the tipping system being in play. So that's where people are coming from when they call you miserable/tight for doing so: you are essentially getting an additional service and choosing not to pay for it.

i dont get this bit. there is no adtional service being provided. end of story. i am paying for the service through the cost of the product and through an adition delivery cost that is added to it. if that doesnt cover the cost of the delivery then its the person offering that service that is at fault not the customer.
    i am paying whats asked .

in any other industry if the cost of the product and overheads etc is less than the sale price the company cant stay in business so have to give up or raise peices to cover the costs. if a chipper can only charge 4 euro to deliver food then it shouldnt offer the service if it costs more than that.

as i have said before i have no problem tipping when its justified by going abve and beyond. but i fail to see how anyone can can do that by doing the bare minimum

as i have said before i have no problem tipping when its justified by going abve and beyond. but i fail to see how anyone can can do that by doing the bare minimum

But then you are opting into the system. That's a fair stance and it's incumbent upon those serving you to hit that bar, which keeps them incentivised to do better.

I think I've explained my reasoning pretty well. I'd suggest re-reading my post if you're still confused.

Over-explaining bores me.

Yeah I suppose. You don't like to disappoint people who expect extra money from you. You sound like a real people pleaser.

So they don't gage to earn it, they just have to expect it. Sweet little deal there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Utter and complete bs tbh.

Nope. Completely wrong. I expect people to do the standard job spec and charge the rate. I never pay anyone extra out of fear they might rip me off otherwise.

I expect a taxi driver to bring me through the normal, sensible route. I don't pay them extra just to do the job I'm already paying for. If they need to charge more to live, let them charge the higher rate.

God, you're Lowering the bar really low if you expect to be ripped off if you don't pay a tip.

• Advertisement

Nope. Completely wrong. I expect people to do the standard job spec and charge the rate. I never pay anyone extra out of fear they might rip me off otherwise.

I expect a taxi driver to bring me through the normal, sensible route. I don't pay them extra just to do the job I'm already paying for. If they need to charge more to live, let them charge the higher rate.

God, you're Lowering the bar really low if you expect to be ripped off if you don't pay a tip.

It’s not a matter of opinion. Tipping is an incentive to provide good service, that’s literally what it is. You pay a taxi driver to take you home, your expectations of how he should do so are irrelevant, and by removing one bargaining chip by being anti-tipping you weaken any incentive he may have to go out of his way to help you.

It’s a policy that harms you if you take it to its natural destination. But since they don’t know that that’s how you feel and we do live in a society that tips for good service, it’s a loophole you’re taking advantage of so you both receive the best service possible and save a euro or two along the way. Which is scabby. Have the awkward conversation and tell them you don’t tip if you believe in it that strongly, but of course you’ve already admitted you don’t do that.

It’s not a matter of opinion. Tipping is an incentive to provide good service, that’s literally what it is. You pay a taxi driver to take you home, your expectations of how he should do so are irrelevant, and by removing one bargaining chip by being anti-tipping you weaken any incentive he may have to go out of his way to help you.

It’s a policy that harms you if you take it to its natural destination. But since they don’t know that that’s how you feel and we do live in a society that tips for good service, it’s a loophole you’re taking advantage of so you both receive the best service possible and save a euro or two along the way. Which is scabby. Have the awkward conversation and tell them you don’t tip if you believe in it that strongly, but of course you’ve already admitted you don’t do that.

Paying the agreed rate is a loophole? You’re talking nonsense.

I’m fine with paying the agreed rate. If you think the taxi driver is entitled to bring you home and add on an extra few euro to tip you off, then I think you’re wrong. I don’t see taxi drivers or delivery drivers as charity cases. They're employed to do a job. I really don't think anyone is reasonably expected to rip you off.

All I want us the basic service. Cut my hair the way I ask, take me from a to b,
    at the normal rate, deliver the food I ordered to the correct address within the time promised. It's really simple. No need for a tip for any of that. I treat people as professionals doing a job, not charity cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

leggo wrote:
    you weaken any incentive he may have to go out of his way to help you.

He literally would be going out of his way to NOT help you if he took you on a further journey.

His job is to bring you home in the safest and quickest time possible.

No incentive is necessary.

Yeah I suppose. You don't like to disappoint people who expect extra money from you. You sound like a real people pleaser.

So they don't gage to earn it, they just have to expect it. Sweet little deal there.

And I'm sure the buzz of self-righteousness you feel when you stand there for you 80c change is worth it for you.

Like I said, all our choices are ultimately self-serving.

We just both get our kicks from different things

And I'm sure the buzz of self-righteousness you feel when you stand there for you 80c change is worth it for you.

A buzz of self righteousness? The man is collecting the change that he is owed for a transaction.

He never once suggested he did it for kicks.

What a bizarre argument.

• Advertisement

Like I said, all our choices are ultimately self-serving.

We just both get our kicks from different things

The "buzz" I'd get from waiting for change from a delivery driver is exactly the same "buzz" I get from waiting for change in tesco. That's us to say, no buzz at all. Just getting my change.

It's amazing how even asking why people tip is met almost immediately with insults like miserable, self righteous, stingy.

Truth is, people tip Because they feel social pressure to tip then they have to look for reasons to back up why they tip rather than tipping because they already have reasons. That's why the reasons given are so poor and are so often accompanied by insults for even asking.

Imagine being such a miser you won't give the waitress two lousy euro. FFs..

This is more of it. Straight to the insults rather than actually say why you would give away 2 euro - I don’t see any money as lousy if it was lousy the waitress wouldn’t want it.

So just for the sake of asking, why DO you give 2 euro to a waitress? What’s the rationale for giving it to wait staff but not to other people in similarly paid jobs who do things for your benefit?

I give two euro when the girl is nice and pleasant to me and also I know it's a tough job.

Do you often pay women to be nice to you?

I give two euro when the girl is nice and pleasant to me and also I know it's a tough job.

But whatever. Enjoy your reputation for a being a tight arse.

You pay a waitress to be pleasant to you? Thats actually a pretty incredible thing to admit to yourself.
    I'd never pay someone to be pleasant. Actually I think a basic level of pleasantries are just part of the job but I don't want to chat with a waiter. They're not my friend.

I suppose it's just a matter of what you expect to have to pay for. I don't pay anyone to be pleasant to me. I just find that being pleasant to people means they're pleasant in return. No need for either of us to pay each other for it.

Also, I guarantee you that pleasantness is in the basic job spec of any wait staff. If they're not even pleasant and are sour or cranky, they're actually giving poor service.

Paying the agreed rate is a loophole? You’re talking nonsense.

I’m fine with paying the agreed rate. If you think the taxi driver is entitled to bring you home and add on an extra few euro to tip you off, then I think you’re wrong. I don’t see taxi drivers or delivery drivers as charity cases. They're employed to do a job. I really don't think anyone is reasonably expected to rip you off.

All I want us the basic service. Cut my hair the way I ask, take me from a to b,
    at the normal rate, deliver the food I ordered to the correct address within the time promised. It's really simple. No need for a tip for any of that. I treat people as professionals doing a job, not charity cases.

You’ve never worked in a service role have you? If you did, you’d know there can be a world of difference between the ‘basic service’ and great service depending on the vibe you get off someone. In most jobs like this, you can totally **** someone over without them even realising and while still being squeaky clean in terms of doing the job you were asked to do. If it’s a taxi driver, it could be doing yourself out of more money than you would’ve with a small tip by being taken the scenic route. If it’s a barber, it could be butchering you or giving you a great haircut. It’s like people who come into shops fully geared up for war when they want a refund and don’t realise that most places can just help them at their discretion if they’re sound about it (and the law is mostly on retailers‘ side there). It’s short-term thinking and anyone who knows the suss knows that it’s thick.

Like I get that you’ve put logic to your attitude so you feel like you’re right, and nobody can stop you not tipping. But I read what you’re saying and I just wonder how many times in your life this attitude has caused you to lose out without you even knowing.

Not being smart here, but are you autistic? If you struggle to understand why people tip in this situation it kind of hints at something deeper.

When someone is bringing you food and drink, is kind to you, and their job is to ensure you are having a good time, then it actually feels good to give them a little extra.

If can't understand that the ok but a I would advise you to tip because you don't want to get a reputation as a miser.

Btw, it's completely acceptable not to tip if you find the service poor.

Ok. You’re 3 posts in and 3 insults but you haven’t actually said WHY you tip. Isn’t that interesting?

Like I already said I completely expect basic pleasantries with wait staff as a bare minimum. I don’t want them to do anything weird or pretend to be my friend. Pleasantries are part of the job in every and any wait staff job. It’s not extraordinary service, it’s just basic and the boss pays them for that.

So just to clarify, I’m asking why you actually DO tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

You’ve never worked in a service role have you? If you did, you’d know there can be a world of difference between the ‘basic service’ and great service depending on the vibe you get off someone. In most jobs like this, you can totally **** someone over without them even realising and while still being squeaky clean in terms of doing the job you were asked to do. If it’s a taxi driver, it could be doing yourself out of more money than you would’ve with a small tip by being taken the scenic route. If it’s a barber, it could be butchering you or giving you a great haircut. It’s like people who come into shops fully geared up for war when they want a refund and don’t realise that most places can just help them at their discretion if they’re sound about it (and the law is mostly on retailers‘ side there). It’s short-term thinking and anyone who knows the suss knows that it’s thick.

Like I get that you’ve put logic to your attitude so you feel like you’re right, and nobody can stop you not tipping. But I read what you’re saying and I just wonder how many times in your life this attitude has caused you to lose out without you even knowing.

If a taxi was taking the scenic route then they would be reported to their regulator etc
    If a barber gave a bad haircut he would not be paid

You seem to have a very low bar that you set for what you pay for.

I’ve worked and a waiter and a delivery driver over the years.

The taxi driver has taken you the scenic route BEFORE you tip them. And presumably you tip them anyway as the payment comes AFTER the journey is completed. So... they’ve either ripped you off or not at that point so my intention to tip or not, doesn’t come into it.

I pay over the odds for a haircut because I want a good haircut. I pay the higher rate for a better service than a standard barber. I don’t tip, I just pay the higher rate as agreed.

I find that if you smile when you meet people and are pleasant and treat people with respect, they reciprocate. There’s absolutely no need to pay people for pleasantries. It’s actually really cringe to pay a waitress for pretending to care about your day or whatever.

Just the normal pleasantries are enough to grease the wheels between total strangers is all i need. I really don't want a whole fake conversation. I think if you're awkward then you might prefer a scripted set of conversation topics with wait staff. I just want the basic pleasantries and normal service where they take your order etc.

There’s absolutely no need to pay people for pleasantries. It’s actually really cringe to pay a waitress for pretending to care about your day or whatever.

I find that such a weird attitude, you think people who reward good service are just lonely and paying for conversation? Sometimes good service is the exact opposite of that and reading a customer’s demeanour then giving them what they need to maximise their experience, for example if I’m busy or chatting and a taxi driver starts ranting to me about what’s on their mind, that’s poor service. Similarly I personally default towards barbers who don’t chat much, don’t make much smalltalk, have a conversation about what I want specifically (and not make assumptions or do what they want with my hair) but not really more. That’s a specific list and I don’t want to be a dick and have to tell them that, so if they can read that all off me and give me what I want then they deserve the few euro extra.

Like you say you worked in service jobs but I have a hard time believing that, or that you were actually good at those jobs, given that that’s your definition and understanding of the difference between good and bad service.

I couldn’t give a **** how friendly they are so long as they listen, get the order right, and come promptly with the bill once they’ve taken the plates from the final course. A few places I’ve been lately have been disgraceful for not bringing the bill for ages. They’d be the only things I’d hold back a tip for though.

• Advertisement

I find that such a weird attitude, you think people who reward good service are just lonely and paying for conversation? Sometimes good service is the exact opposite of that and reading a customer’s demeanour then giving them what they need to maximise their experience, for example if I’m busy or chatting and a taxi driver starts ranting to me about what’s on their mind, that’s poor service. Similarly I personally default towards barbers who don’t chat much, don’t make much smalltalk, have a conversation about what I want specifically (and not make assumptions or do what they want with my hair) but not really more. That’s a specific list and I don’t want to be a dick and have to tell them that, so if they can read that all off me and give me what I want then they deserve the few euro extra.

Like you say you worked in service jobs but I have a hard time believing that, or that you were actually good at those jobs, given that that’s your definition and understanding of the difference between good and bad service.

I think people are saying they tip because the waitress made pleasant conversation with them. I think that's just the reason they give when they have to cone up with a reason. I actually think people tip because they think other people might think they're stingy if they don't tip- which is very different from having a good reason to tip.

You're setting the bar so low for figuring out if the customer wants to chat and what they want to chat about. You do the very basics like hi/hello and welcome etc. And you can gauge the whether the customer wants to talk much or not pretty quickly. It's not high level mind reading, it takes a basic level of reading social cues and body language (along with actual language). It sounds clinical when you break it down, but that's just how it is and it's not rocket science. Some people are talkers, some aren't and all they want is the few pleasant sentiments to grease the wheels between strangers.

No joke, you're setting the bar so low for people doing a public facing job. But maybe I'm a harsh critic because I've actually done the job. If im out for food, I don't need the wait staff to befriend me. Im happy to do the pleasantries and have the craic with whoever I'm out for food with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,875 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jaysus, this thread is rumbling on.
    Amazing how incensed people are at how other people spend spare change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

... I actually think people tip because they think other people might think they're stingy if they don't tip- which is very different from having a good reason to tip.

No joke, you're setting the bar so low for people doing a public facing job. But maybe I'm a harsh critic because I've actually done the job. If im out for food, I don't need the wait staff to befriend me. Im happy to do the pleasantries and have the craic with whoever I'm out for food with.

It's bizarre that you keep making these types of statements and looking for reasons for why people tip when they don't agree with it.

You said earlier that you tip waiters even though you don't like doing it. And the only reason you provided for this is that you don't want to talk about the subject of tipping with people.

Your analysis is a reflection of your own thoughts when you begrudgingly provide tips in restaurants. I'm sure the majority of people who tip are happy to do so and not secretly bitter about it as you suggest.

It's bizarre that you keep making these types of statements and looking for reasons for why people tip when they don't agree with it.

You said earlier that you tip waiters even though you don't like doing it. And the only reason you provided for this is that you don't want to talk about the subject of tipping with people.

Your analysis is a reflection of your own thoughts when you begrudgingly provide tips in restaurants. I'm sure the majority of people who tip are happy to do so and not secretly bitter about it as you suggest.

I don't doubt they they're happy to do so. I doubt they they have any good reasons to do so and that's why even asking why they tip is met with hostility. And when people really try to think of the reasons they tip, they really aren't consistent.

Honestly I think people only tip because other people tip. And other people tip because they think you tip. It would be much simpler if good staff were paid more and the cost was reflected in the price, I'd be fine with that. I've no time for forced conversation and feigned interest in my life. And i pay nothing for the chat of a barber or a waiter or anyone else.

I can't imagine the sense of entitlement you'd need to think your chat is worth money. Massive bang of entitlement regardless of you saying otherwise.

I'm sure the majority of people who tip are happy to do so and not secretly bitter about it as you suggest.

And if they are, let them be. I donate to a specific charity. I don't look at everyone who doesn't as a miser. They choose where to spend their money as they see fit.

I don't see delivery drivers as a charity worth donating to or as people who need my money more than I do.

As was stated earlier, people like me and the other poster aren't trying to change how you spend your money, but don't judge us or call us stingy for believing that paying above the agreed price for something is adequate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ironicname wrote: »
    And if they are, let them be. I donate to a specific charity. I don't look at everyone who doesn't as a miser. They choose where to spend their money as they see fit.

I don't see delivery drivers as a charity worth donating to or as people who need my money more than I do.

As was stated earlier, people like me and the other poster aren't trying to change how you spend your money, but don't judge us or call us stingy for believing that paying above the agreed price for something is adequate.

You can’t stop people thinking that about you, I’m afraid. That’s out of your control.

I don't doubt they they're happy to do so. I doubt they they have any good reasons to do so and that's why even asking why they tip is met with hostility. And when people really try to think of the reasons they tip, they really aren't consistent.

Honestly I think people only tip because other people tip. And other people tip because they think you tip. It would be much simpler if good staff were paid more and the cost was reflected in the price, I'd be fine with that. I've no time for forced conversation and feigned interest in my life. And i pay nothing for the chat of a barber or a waiter or anyone else.

I can't imagine the sense of entitlement you'd need to think your chat is worth money. Massive bang of entitlement regardless of you saying otherwise.

Are there other social conventions that also find tough to navigate? Like waiting for everyone to get their food before starting to eat for example, or saying bless you when someone sneezes?

I can imagine the world must seem a rather strange place to someone who views the world like you do.

Are there other social conventions that also find tough to navigate? Like waiting for everyone to get their food before starting to eat for example, or saying bless you when someone sneezes?

I can imagine the world must seem a rather strange place to someone who views the world like you do.

No to the the first two. Which renders the massive presumption really weird.

Wouldn't it be easier if you just gave some good reasons for tipping instead of making some massive presumptions about me?

Should be easy to simple to explain why you tip. The fact that you would insult someone who asks the question rather than answer it is really telling. But lets see if you actually know why you tip....

I don’t think you’ve been met with hostility tbh lad. From my own perspective, I think you’re gas craic. You claim to have worked in service but describe ALL of good customer service as “making a bit of chat.” That’s something a 16yo kid who’s based everything they know on TV would say on their first day training for a job. If you said it in an interview for a part-time retail job the interviewer would be wrapping you up and waiting to move onto the next person who got it. It’s not something anyone who worked in a service role with any kind of standards would say.

You’ve zero concept that being sound to people who assist you actually benefits you. Again this isn’t something someone with experience would say, if you’ve worked anywhere in one of these jobs you’d know you can **** someone over without them even knowing, be merely adequate or you can roll out the red carpet and really look after them depending on their demeanour. For every job there’s a million of these little tricks people with a bit of seasoning and cop on know. Being the kind of person who tips gets you seats and spots where there are ‘none’, gets you free stuff, gets you to skip the queue etc. It’s an investment that pays off even if you view it from a purely selfish standpoint and don’t care about being nice. And when you’re around long enough you can gauge out what kind of customer a person is within a few words or even their body language. I guarantee you’re getting eff you service from so many people because of this attitude and that’s just feeding your anti-tipping stance further, all because you’re too stubborn to see the big picture and got sold a pony by a scene in Reservoir Dogs.

Lastly, after all this, for all these strong feelings...you don’t even live your own mantra! You admit that you tip when it’s socially awkward not to! So the most likely course of events in your life is you come into situations, service staff sense your attitude towards them and treat you as such, you get merely adequate service at best, then pay extra for it anyway. That must suck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Generally, I will. I don't believe in tipping as a concept but it's in my own best interest to tip for food delivery. If you get the same guy again, he's less likely to deliver cold food or spit in it if he knows the house tips. However, if the eejit has to ring me 7 times looking for directions then he's getting nothing. My address is on the order. It even has my eircode which you can type into google maps. Eircodes are akin GPS co-ordinates on google maps. It brings you right to my door. How in gods name are you confused?

I used to tip Domino's drivers all the time but Domino's just added an extra 2 euro delivery charge that they haven't had before. They've been delivering for over a decade without this charge so to me it seems like gouging so I've stopped tipping the drivers.

Hardly anyone collects at the store. The prices have always had delivery in mind......until now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Stewball

Never.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You’ve zero concept that being sound to people who assist you actually benefits you. Again this isn’t something someone with experience would say, if you’ve worked anywhere in one of these jobs you’d know you can **** someone over without them even knowing, be merely adequate or you can roll out the red carpet and really look after them depending on their demeanour. For every job there’s a million of these little tricks people with a bit of seasoning and cop on know. Being the kind of person who tips gets you seats and spots where there are ‘none’, gets you free stuff, gets you to skip the queue etc. It’s an investment that pays off even if you view it from a purely selfish standpoint and don’t care about being nice. And when you’re around long enough you can gauge out what kind of customer a person is within a few words or even their body language. I guarantee you’re getting eff you service from so many people because of this attitude and that’s just feeding your anti-tipping stance further, all because you’re too stubborn to see the big picture and got sold a pony by a scene in Reservoir Dogs.

Ok, you're calling out someone else for claiming to not know how to work in the service industry, and then go on and state how you, in your words, "**** someone over", and how you treat those who tip better than those who don't? And others have said the same with delivery, you leave the non-tippers waiting longer (even if within the agreed time).

Not a single one of you can call yourselves professionals if this is how ye act. Not one of ye. And if ye do this, ye should be ashamed. Whatever about your demeanor, this kind of action is just terrible, and employers should be thinking the same. You treat all customers equally, unless they're being rude, etc. You don't treat tippers better just because they tip. Ye hurl insults at those who don't tip, but admit to treating people differently due to this. That's completely unprofessional. This is, of course, if you take your job seriously.

Before you ask, yes, I've worked in the service industry for years, full and part time. I even went and got a certification in waiting to help me get better jobs. And I liked getting tipped, who wouldn't. But I never expected it, save for certain situations, such as having a table of 30-50 to myself and ensuring it went buttery smooth. But even then, I didn't treat them differently and gave the same service as a table of 2 would get. The reason I expected it, was being able to do it for that many without incident and without delay, easily done in a proper set up (and before someone says it, chefs get paid more than waiting staff, so that's why they didn't, initially, get any of the tips, and something I was strongly against as a waiter).

Anyway, the other professions that people tip;

Taxi - you're paying on top of paying to do their basic job. If they take you the long way deliberately, then they're not very good at their job, as surely it's better for them to finish quicker too? So if you tip, you're giving extra money on top of an opportunity to make more money. That should be the tip in itself.

Furniture delivery, they earn on average of €11.04 p/h, so above min wage, albeit not massively. So they're being paid more than minimum, and you still tip? Also, they're not insured to bring the furniture inside the house, so them doing so could end up with them getting sacked, or if they have an accident doing it, they're not insured. Tipping them to do so is putting their job in danger... :pac:

Tipping shouldn't exist, full stop. It would remove all this boloxology.

I don’t think you’ve been met with hostility tbh lad. From my own perspective, I think you’re gas craic. You claim to have worked in service but describe ALL of good customer service as “making a bit of chat.” That’s something a 16yo kid who’s based everything they know on TV would say on their first day training for a job. If you said it in an interview for a part-time retail job the interviewer would be wrapping you up and waiting to move onto the next person who got it. It’s not something anyone who worked in a service role with any kind of standards would say.

Lastly, after all this, for all these strong feelings...you don’t even live your own mantra! You admit that you tip when it’s socially awkward not to! So the most likely course of events in your life is you come into situations, service staff sense your attitude towards them and treat you as such, you get merely adequate service at best, then pay extra for it anyway. That must suck.

You don't tho mmivd been met with hostility? I've had far more insults than reasons to tip. And I've actually asked for the reasons people tip. One poster offered 3 insults in a row (miserable, self righteous and autistic) but no actual answer to the simple question about why they tip. That's interesting in and of itself.

I mean, you've made so many predictions about me in this single post. Based on so little info it's pretty embarrassing.

But look, I don't need a waiter to get me into a restaurant when there's no room. Sounds wanky TBH.

Also worth pointing out that I didn't describe "ALL of good customer service as “making a bit of chat.”" that's just something you've read arzewaya.

I've said plenty of times that a smile and treating people pleasantly and with respect generally causes other people to reciprocate. That's just how I behave in normal life. I don't expect anyone to pay me to be pleasant and I would never pay anyone to be pleasant to me.

I've never needed to get into a restaurant when it's full. I'd just go elsewhere. When a restaurant is full and the kitchen is overrun, the service is usually stretched both in front of hours wand in the kitchen. Anyone who's worked in a kitchen would know that. Have you ever Worked in a kitchen?

Maybe you -and all the big tipper posters are getting into restaurants and night clubs because you tip (I'm imagining American style queueing for a nightclub and you're brought to the front of the queue because you tipped the bouncer last time) but that's just not my life.

My God, you describe tipping as an investment. Most people you tip don't even remember you Lol.

It's more Walter Mitty than anything in reality. Most waiters have bugger all influence over food quality or speed. They can maybe sneak you a free drink by stealing from the bar for their tip. But thats about it. You pay for the drink with your tip and think you're getting something for free. Lol.

Tipping culture is going strong. Money for nothing. Sweet deal.

Ok, you're calling out someone else for claiming to not know how to work in the service industry, and then go on and state how you, in your words, "**** someone over", and how you treat those who tip better than those who don't? And others have said the same with delivery, you leave the non-tippers waiting longer (even if within the agreed time).

Not a single one of you can call yourselves professionals if this is how ye act. Not one of ye. And if ye do this, ye should be ashamed. Whatever about your demeanor, this kind of action is just terrible, and employers should be thinking the same. You treat all customers equally, unless they're being rude, etc. You don't treat tippers better just because they tip. Ye hurl insults at those who don't tip, but admit to treating people differently due to this. That's completely unprofessional. This is, of course, if you take your job seriously.

This is it. If to take yourself any way seriously as a waiter, you'll realise you need to treat all customers well. Tips are lovely (free money is obviously lovely) but they're not a reasonable expectation for doing a normal job.

If you're not doing a normal job for all customers the you might just be a poor waiter.

Maybe some posters are big shots who get into trendy restaurants when they're booked out because they tip the waiter and the waiter finds them a table - I really doubt that's the case for most posters if they're being honest.

I think almost all people tip waters because it's the convention. No good reasons needed.

Not a delivery man, never worked in a job where tipping was a thing. Try again.

But yeah, if you're a dickhead to someone, they'll be a dickhead right back to you. That's just how the world works. If I'm rude to a cashier in the shop, they'll give me all my change in €1 coins. If I'm rude to a delivery man, he'll leave my door open. If I walk into a restaurant and start looking down on the maitre d', maybe they put me beside the door or window so I'm freezing the entire meal. Their job doesn't extend to doing these extra bits like giving me my change in the most convenient way. If I'm ****ty to them, they have every right to be ****ty right back to me and can do so while still fulfilling the remit of their job and I have zero right to moan if they are because I started this ****ty cycle. Someone has to sit in the crap seat in the restaurant, it's not going to be the really sound person who's likely to tip and appreciate the extra work that you put in. May as well make it the scabby person you know is going to look for the first opportunity to get a refund regardless of what you do.
    You don't tho mmivd been met with hostility? I've had far more insults than reasons to tip. And I've actually asked for the reasons people tip. One poster offered 3 insults in a row (miserable, self righteous and autistic) but no actual answer to the simple question about why they tip. That's interesting in and of itself.

I mean, you've made so many predictions about me in this single post. Based on so little info it's pretty embarrassing.

No I don't mmivd been met with hostility, whatever that means. If you stopped playing the victim and acting like you were the victim of a hate crime for a minute, you'd find a post with many reasons to tip. Nobody is insulting you, we don't know you to do so. We're saying that this is the attitude people have towards scabby people who bend over backwards to find logic not to give people a euro or two extra if they do a good job (unless it's mildly socially awkward for you, then you compromise everything you believe in). You are the one admitting that that's you. We can only operate off the information you give us about yourself here lad. Don't throw a tantrum because that info paints an unflattering picture, that's one you painted yourself. :pac:

And you still don't understand, you're being wilfully ignorant. I'm not saying you have to tip the waiter to get into restaurants. I'm saying that if you are sound and build a relationship with people who serve you, no matter where you're at or what you're doing, they're more inclined to help you. If you're mean and look down your nose at people who work in certain jobs, and your attitude drips of that here so I guarantee people immediately see through your fake little 'smile and be polite strategy', they won't. It's straightforward. Tipping is just one signifier of an overall attitude. And if you expect someone to go out of their way for you while simultaneously thinking they're beneath you, you're simply delusional.

• Advertisement

Not a delivery man, never worked in a job where tipping was a thing. Try again.

But yeah, if you're a dickhead to someone, they'll be a dickhead right back to you. That's just how the world works. If I'm rude to a cashier in the shop, they'll give me all my change in €1 coins. If I'm rude to a delivery man, he'll leave my door open. If I walk into a restaurant and start looking down on the maitre d', maybe they put me beside the door or window so I'm freezing the entire meal. Their job doesn't extend to doing these extra bits like giving me my change in the most convenient way. If I'm ****ty to them, they have every right to be ****ty right back to me and can do so while still fulfilling the remit of their job and I have zero right to moan if they are because I started this ****ty cycle. Someone has to sit in the crap seat in the restaurant, it's not going to be the really sound person who's likely to tip and appreciate the extra work that you put in. May as well make it the scabby person you know is going to look for the first opportunity to get a refund regardless of what you do.

OK, my bad, i mis-read your post and believed you worked in the service industry. You've clarified you haven't, so now I know you're talking out your hole. What you've said is what you believe goes on. Thankfully you're not a waiter, because you'd be a terrible one.

Do you really think being aggro and insulting to everyone who may not agree with you improves your life more than giving a euro or two to people who do a good job helping you? You’re coming across as aggressive and miserable here tbh, insulting someone just because they believe in something you don’t.

Money makes people go mental lads. :pac:

Who's being aggro? I just called you out on your bs, thinking you know how it works but have never worked in it. Not insulting anyone either, just stating facts as I see them. You've such an in-depth knowledge of the industry apparently, but think you know how it works. But thanks to your admittance of not having worked in it, I can disregard any opinion you have on how you think it works. You're right, money does make people go mental.

Do you even realise you’re arguing against the stance “you’re not entitled to be a dick to people” or are you just going through a tough time and fighting with strangers on the Internet about literally anything is the only cure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

But yeah, if you're a dickhead to someone, they'll be a dickhead right back to you. That's just how the world works. If I'm rude to a cashier in the shop, they'll give me all my change in €1 coins.

That just sounds like more work for them tbh!

• Advertisement
Advertisement