Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-02-2019, 12:51   #1
bennyineire

10 minute Irish clip on youtube ?

Hi All,

I'm taking inspiration from the Russian guy who learnt Irish.
One of his tips was to listen to a piece of Irish been spoken by people for 10 minutes, then keep listing to this same piece everyday until you understand every word of this.

Then move on to another piece, can anyone here recommend a piece either from a podcast or something on you tube that's around 10 minutes. The topic is unimportant.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
25-02-2019, 17:16   #2
dubhthach

7 Lá -- perhaps?

"7 Lá beo 14.2.17 | Ná tóg do chlann le Gaeilge | TG4
Freagra Gearóid Denver ar Sheosamh Mac Donnacha ar staid na Gaeilge sa Ghaeltacht"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHbEY_CJeo
Thanks from:
26-02-2019, 00:05   #3
Poll Dubh

I really enjoyed An Gaeilgeoir Nocht which is broken into segments of less than 10 minutes which you could work through one by one.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b47DF4NwIyw

Go n-éirí leat
Thanks from:
26-02-2019, 11:34   #4
bennyineire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poll Dubh View Post
I really enjoyed An Gaeilgeoir Nocht which is broken into segments of less than 10 minutes which you could work through one by one.

Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b47DF4NwIyw

Go n-eat
Looks good but the sound quality is terrible, fine to listen to once but the buzzing sound would go through my head. I wonder is there a "cleaner" version anywhere else
26-02-2019, 11:35   #5
bennyineire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubhthach View Post
7 L- perhaps?

"7 Leo 14.2.17 | No chlann le Gaeilge | TG4
Freagra GearDenver ar Sheosamh Mac Donnacha ar staid na Gaeilge sa Ghaeltacht"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHbEY_CJeo
Might be a good one to start with, can you tell me what the context of the conversation is please
Advertisement
26-02-2019, 13:30   #6
dubhthach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyineire View Post
Might be a good one to start with, can you tell me what the context of the conversation is please
Seosamh Mac Donnacha (whose shown in clip in first two minutes) that in his opinion if asked he wouldn't recommend for Gaeltacht parents to raise their children through the medium of Irish due to issues that pose to parents due to state of language teaching/standard of spoken language in Gaeltacht etc. etc.

Gearóid Denver responds to this opinion.

It's basically topical current affairs event for Gaeltacht speakers and the continuity of the linguistic community. Tied up with issues with regards to what is a 'native speakers' (cainteoir dúchais) /'language shift' / standard (or lack of) of spoken language of children etc.
(2) thanks from:
04-03-2019, 12:47   #7
Cathellen

Hi. I find ' Seal le Dáithi' a good piece. It's on TG4 and available on rte player. I use it and stop it from time ro time to jot down nice expressions. I also find listening with ear phones is much better and when you have the jist of it...close you eyes so you can't see the sub titles. Another useful resource is Vifax...It is a clip from the news with excercises provided by Maynooth Univ. Go n'éirigh leat!
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion