Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sold bike but still getting tax renewal?

• 07-03-2021 6:39am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I sold a bike to a friend, it was a project bike and was off the road. Few months later I got a notification to renew the tax. I thought that was weird but I messaged him - he said he would check into it. I just went online and declared it off the road anyway. Now a year later I'm getting it again. I messaged him and he said he sold the bike months ago. So no idea what's going on but I need to sort this, and I don't even live in Ireland anymore. Any idea what I can do to try to fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xavier8228

Call your local Garda station and see if it’s registered in your name. They don’t need to tell you who it is if it’s not. If it is contact Dept of transport in Shannon (email should suffice) and tell them the situation. That’s what I would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭blade1

When you say declared it off the road do you mean SORN?
    If so SORN is only one year maximum at a time I think.
    So you need to let them know you are not the owner anymore or else SORN every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Don't sell bikes to friends without sending off the logbook, project or otherwise people cannot be trusted make everything their problem . Keeps everything friendly.

As you said he's already sold it on. And you still are logged against it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Zascar wrote: »
    I sold a bike to a friend, it was a project bike and was off the road. Few months later I got a notification to renew the tax. I thought that was weird but I messaged him - he said he would check into it. I just went online and declared it off the road anyway. Now a year later I'm getting it again. I messaged him and he said he sold the bike months ago. So no idea what's going on but I need to sort this, and I don't even live in Ireland anymore. Any idea what I can do to try to fix?

Used to be the case you send in the logbook and it’s updated and sent on -
    Garda Unlikely to do anything. -data restrictions-
    Just write to the licensing department - register letter - keep copy - if your certification that’s it’s off the road - common sense dictates your still owner -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Get a replacement log book and then fill in your friends details and send it off to Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

I have a similar issue. Sold the bike to someone in the UK and informed Shannon. The person in the UK never registered it there and Shannon keep sending me tax renewal notices.

I've tried multiple times to find out what the next steps are from Shannon and I've gotten nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Zascar wrote: »
    and I don't even live in Ireland anymore.

If you don't live here then it's of no consequence. Don't loose any sleep. I exported two bikes to the UK and a "friend" checked the reg numbers recently and both are still registered in my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you don't live here then it's of no consequence.
    The bike could end being flagged as associated with crime. The OP might also want to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Victor wrote: »
    The bike could end being flagged as associated with crime.
    Agreed, but he’s out of the country :cool:

Advertisement