Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are more people not killed on our Roads

Options
  • 09-11-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

How is it that multiples of those killed on Ireland's roads not killed every year.

In 2017 158 people were killed on Ireland's roads.

Vehicles are speeding more in urban areas, taking chances that shouldn't be taken, travelling in lanes that they shouldn't be using.

Cyclists are cycling faster than ever, taking chances they shouldn't be taking, cycling on footpaths, cycling without lights or sufficient illumination.

Pedestrians are crossing where they shouldn't be crossing.

How are many more people not killed on Irish roads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We can only try our best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

imme wrote: »
    How is it that multiples of those killed on Ireland's roads not killed every year.

Vehicles are speeding more in urban areas, taking chances that shouldn't be taken, travelling in lanes that they shouldn't be using.

Cyclists are cycling faster than ever, taking chances they shouldn't be taking, cycling on footpaths, cycling without lights or sufficient illumination.

Luck of the irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

158 is too many people, 1 is too many.

Your glass is half-empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TallGlass wrote: »
    158 is too many people, 1 is too many.

Unfortunately it's never going to be zero as people are stupid and do stupid things.

Unfortunately mistakes are made and this can be as simple as walking out and not looking like many do.

More traffic is probably cutting the number down as less likely to kill as traveling at lower speeds in built up areas at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

How do you they're doing these things more than before? People have always made bad decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

We can only try our best

I'm doing my part!!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Unfortunately it's never going to be zero as people are stupid and do stupid things.

Unfortunately mistakes are made and this can be as simple as walking out and not looking like many do.

More traffic is probably cutting the number down as less likely to kill as traveling at lower speeds in built up areas at peak times.

I agree with what your saying, 158 people is still to many people killed on our road network. What I meant by 1 person, is that 1 person is still family to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Beacuse the Go Safe Vans are saving lifes.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Is it possible that speed isn't the massive danger people have made it out to be and perhaps, just perhaps we'd be better off focusing on people not paying attention to the ones paying attention and doing slightly over the speed limit when driving to the conditions. Personally I'd like to see us follow the UK with 6 points and a €200 fine for phone use behind the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

How do you they're doing these things more than before? People have always made bad decisions.

Did you accidentally a word ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

Peaked at 640 in 1972 and has been declining since despite an extra million in population and probably a tripling of vehicles on the road since.
    Due to a combination of better car safety, better roads, better driver behaviour.
    Driver behaviour is very good in Ireland. One should try driving in the Phillippines or a southern africa country. that would open your eyes

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Road engineering much better than in the past, same with car safety. Vast majority of cyclists now wear helmets compared to when I grew up. Penalty points system has helped somewhat also.

If you had today's volume of traffic but with safety/roads/cycling from 30 years ago, there would be far, far more death on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Only 20 years ago in 1998 it was 458. Amazing how far we've come in that time with the culture shift around drink driving, vehicle safety including NCT, and infrastructure improvements including the motorway network which was basically non-existent back then. And despite the increase in cars on the road and presumably an increase in the average mileage with so many long commutes nowadays. And of course the introduction of the biggest distraction to ever appear in a car, the smartphone. Just imagine what we could do if the laws on phone use were actually enforced, we'd surely get it below 100 deaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

A lot of it is down to luck, being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We've all made mistakes when driving, overtaken without sufficient margin for error etc., and got away with it. Forgot to look at a dangerous junction, got away with it. A mental note is made and stars counted. Others not so.

Fact is, you could be a great driver, safe as houses and be wiped out tonight by someone coming around a bend on the wrong side, the other driver having fallen asleep or having a row with the kids in the back. Or you might have arrived at that bend 5 seconds earlier or 5 seconds later and nothing would have happened, other than a fright and shouted curse.

It all makes a bit of a nonsense of road safety campaigns and the seemingly compelling need for safety agencies to keep improving on their records with ever tighter legislation.

A driver may be tootling along with 3 or 4 pints on them, fully aware of it and taking great care, as safe as houses. Another might be stone cold sober but distracted and cause carnage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

It's amazing all right, I often wonder the same about airline crashes, I would think there would be more ... maybe someone is looking out for us ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It's amazing all right, I often wonder the same about airline crashes, I would think there would be more ... maybe someone is looking out for us ?

Yes, it's Mr.Autopilot.

When the robots take over the labourious task of driving in the 2030's, the numbers of accidents may lower to zero, or near zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Traffic congestion is bringing down the number of deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Something that always scares me out is trying to pull out from a line of stopped cars when there's a flow of traffic fast speeding traffic coming along the line next to it. Particularly if there's a bend so you can't see them from far away and particularly again if it's raining and/or at night. What if the engine conked out as you were trying pull out? If it's lashing rain I'd try to avoid it as much as possible, even sometimes if it meant taking a long way around.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

The excise duty on fuel too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Was heading into work early one weekend morning and came upon a crashed car, it had hit a phone pole and was sitting on its side, lovely sez I, me first on the scene, a nice dead body to start the day....but luckily not to be, some drunkard (I'm guessing but no doubt) had climbed out the window and done a runner, left car in the middle of the road.

Thinking after maybe it would have been better if he had been dead in it, he'd hit a pole on "MY" side so he could have hit me, theirs lots of drunks driving around at wk-ends, it never went away. Scumbags really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭prunudo

Advanced medical care will be a factor too. Injuries that would have lead to death 20 or 30 years ago are now survivable because of what the advanced paramedics can do at the accident scene.
    If you ever get a chance to watch Air Ambulance ER its an amazing insight to what can be done on the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,467 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Over a third of people killed on the roads were not wearing seat belts, pure Darwinites (possibly sewercides I'd say)...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/over-a-third-of-drivers-killed-weren-t-wearing-seat-belts-1.2317174

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Well yes more but you'll see a peak in the likes of cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclist deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Motorists crashing into and running over cyclists causing serious injuries and deaths is increasing in Ireland.

How anyone driving with due care can hit a cyclist is beyond belief. We need to enforce serious penalties for using phones while driving. Put down the phones people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Health and safety gone mad, is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

vargoo wrote: »
    Was heading into work early one weekend morning and came upon a crashed car, it had hit a phone pole and was sitting on its side, lovely sez I, me first on the scene, a nice dead body to start the day....but luckily not to be, some drunkard (I'm guessing but no doubt) had climbed out the window and done a runner, left car in the middle of the road.

Thinking after maybe it would have been better if he had been dead in it, he'd hit a pole on "MY" side so he could have hit me, theirs lots of drunks driving around at wk-ends, it never went away. Scumbags really.

What made you think he was drunk or that it was even a he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

AmberGold wrote: »
    Motorists crashing into and running over cyclists causing serious injuries and deaths is increasing in Ireland.

How anyone driving with due care can hit a cyclist is beyond belief. We need to enforce serious penalties for using phones while driving. Put down the phones people!!

Beyond belief? Hardly, with what I see cyclists doing sometimes I'm slightly shocked I haven't seen them going under a bus or similar already.

Tiny little gaps and they're willing to cycle through them based on the theory that shur the car probably won't move a bit more to the left in the lane, saving a half a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

One little thing I have noticed having avoided 3 motor bike speeders today and many more over my 40 years on the road.

Car drivers could use motorways more wisely by not doing 70 kph in front of HGVS as I have often seen, pushing them out in front of traffic doing 100 kph or forcing them to toddle along within inches of the slow people, terrifying me as I watch in the middle or outer lane.....

People could move off on amber flashing after red lights when there is NO NONE one the cross way...it is legal and allowed, you do not have to stay stopped unless there is someone one the crosswalk. You do not have to wait for green.

Two cyclists I have seen today toddling through red lights and nearly getting hit by traffic in the right. You have no immunity from injury or death and I do not want to be picking up the pieces if you fall foul of opposing traffic by your fallicious actions.

I cannot afford to hang around if you are hit by traffic. I am self employed, need every cent that I earn and will keep going even if someone gets hit. I cannot lose money and lose my house over someone else's stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The using phone while driving is especially bad as I've had a number of very close calls from other drivers texting. I saw this recently and I thought it really hammered home how deluded people are if they think they can text and drive:

https://www.facebook.com/NSTruckingSafetyAssociation/videos/1985133418169798/

Advertisement