Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Taken Down' series = The Fall ??

Options
  • 05-11-2018 1:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38

It's very slow moving like The Fall, and it has the same kind of backing music.

And just like The Fall, the male characters are usually in reaction to the female characters. It desperately tries to show women in positions of authority. I could see where it was going immediately. It's okay that the two lead detectives are women, but do they really have to make so much of a point in constantly shoving that male police officer in the back seat as if he's being driven home from school. Just like in The Fall the patholgist was a woman. And it was women who stopped the fight from occurring between two grown men!!

But what really interests me, isn't the roles that they have the women play, and more so that any man in this show is portrayed as some sort of idiot. Take that guy who called the young girl a 'black bird', or that idiot of a police man getting the free food while on the job. Just like the Fall, I have no doubt that any man in it will be portrayed as a narcissist, a paedophile, a wife beater, a thief, insensitive, or just a downright idiot.

I'm just saying it's quite obvious what's going on. Am i the only one who noticed? I was glancing at an old Bond movie earlier in the morning yesterday and the difference between that and this really struck me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭circadian

*yawn*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

Didn't see it but least the state and deputy pathologist are women in real life so they got that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,269 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There gone big into this Direct Provision!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

A series where women have the lead roles and are in positions of authority? Surely not.

Whatever next? Black people?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 WinOrLearn BusFighter

Whatever next? Black people?
    But that would only work if they also portrayed any white people in the show as idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

But that would only work if they also portrayed any white people in the show as idiots.

Maybe many men are idiots.

Well if young men were to keep watching this, then they might eventually feel that this sort of behavior is expected of them.

I've grown up watching movies and tv shows where every last person of authority was male, now that I think of it.

One tv show where women occupy those positions and this happens. Half the population are female, have a bit of perspective.

Candie wrote: »
    I've grown up watching movies and tv shows where every last person of authority was male, now that I think of it.
    Well the difference is that those shows don't deliberately set out with an agenda to portray women as bumbling idiots!

Also, it's a fact of reality that there are more men in positions of authority, so those shows were most likely mirroring life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

One tv show where women occupy those positions and this happens. Half the population are female, have a bit of perspective.

Didn't watch Cagney & Lacey then? You missed out!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083395/

• Advertisement

Well the difference is that those shows don't deliberately set out with an agenda to portray women as bumbling idiots!

Also, it's a fact of reality that there are more men in positions of authority, so those shows were most likely mirroring life.

No, there was no agenda but women were usually wives, bimbos or servants, full stop.

Times change, it's not all men in authority any more. Art reflects life, they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Why does anyone care about whatever rubbish RTE is showing now?

It's a dynastic racket of talentless dilettantes living off its long-gone glory years.

It's been on life-support for years. If the latest manifestation of its death throes is stale virtue-signalling wokeness then just keep not watching. Check out TG4 if you want an example of decent public-service broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The Fall was gripping, this isn't. Not by a long shot. Forced myself to see out the 1st episode to give it a chance, but nah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Check out TG4 if you want an example of decent public-service broadcasting.

But it's all in foreign!

No, there was no agenda but women were usually wives, bimbos or servants, full stop.

Times change, it's not all men in authority any more. Art reflects life, they say.

Things are changing. When Judi Dench became M in the Bond films, it was art imitating life. MI6(the real one) had just gotten its first female chairperson.

In Ireland the state pathologist is a woman, Dr Marie Cassidy.

I suspect TV shows will over compensate for a while and then things will even out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Things are changing. When Judi Dench became M in the Bond films, it was art imitating life. MI6(the real one) had just gotten its first female chairperson.

In Ireland the state pathologist is a woman, Dr Marie Cassidy.

I suspect TV shows will over compensate for a while and then things will even out.

Last night's Dr Who with the pregnant man was (no pun intended!) pushing it a bit.

Yes we get it, childbirth is the hardest thing EVER and only women can do it. Yawn!

I agree, eventually we'll get to normal where people are just people but it is a bit ridiculous at the minute. Art imitating life eh ?

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Why does anyone care about whatever rubbish RTE is showing now?

It's a dynastic racket of talentless dilettantes living off its long-gone glory years.
    There'a a nice new word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

This isn't a TV show, it's asylum seeker/feminist propaganda. Every tweet on the hashtag liberals virtue signalling about direct provision which they know nothing about, or others calling it out. Political propaganda.
    You left out snowflake

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 AntiClimax

Maybe not.

Can we not have more constructive arguements!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Thanks OP, I will avoid it then. I hate this whole new move where they think in order to show a strong female they think they need to take the men down, same thing that happened with Star Wars killing off Luke so Rey can shine. Ignoring the fact that they are women and just write a good character is all that is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It sounds like Peppa Pig for adults.

It's a major advance for Irish filmmaking by all accounts..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

There gone big into this Direct Provision!

What’s that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 AntiClimax

It's a major advance for Irish filmmaking by all accounts..
    Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Really?
    How did you manage to avoid all the cop shows with female leads like Cagney and Lacy and the various Law and Orders?

Half the police workforce are female? Don't think that is true. The use of female leads and authority is less to do with reality and more to do with viewers

AntiClimax wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

Irish Times..

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Half the police workforce are female? Don't think that is true. The use of female leads and authority is less to do with reality and more to do with viewers
    I doubt she'll be coming back to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I can't believe that the blonde actress is the same one that played Aiden's girfriend Nadine in Love Hate, she was brilliant in that.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

More man hating PC nonsense, yes we get it establishment big corp media.

Men = bad
    Orange man = ESPECIALLY BAD!!
    Women = great can't do anything wrong (bonus points if Woman happens to have dark skin)
    Christian = disgusting old fashioned pig
    Muslim = beautiful peaceful perfect human being that just could never possibly do the same evil as a white man.

Stick it up yer arse!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I have watched 2 episodes of 'Taken Down' and have found it slow and disappointing. I don't know what sort of a message this show is trying for but it most certainly ain't 'Love/Hate' #2 or an Irish answer to 'The Handmaid's Tale'. Jo Spain is no Margaret Atwood and I would guess Stuart Carolan has minimal impact into it. Once again, this is just another run of the mill RTE show and nothing special so far. I will give it a chance but something needs to happen next week. A good show like the 2 I mentioned to compare 'Taken Down' to will grab one's attention from the start. This does not.

Advertisement