Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

supervento wrote: »
    I think you mean 12 months. It’s an august 1989 car.

(Sorry to correct you)

Yes your right supervento, I stand corrected :p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

Esel wrote: »
    Oil pressure a bit low on tickover?

No. The oil pressure on the M103 engine will drop to 1 bar (ish) at tickover particularly at that temperature. The viscous cooling fan should kick in about 95 degrees. The pressure should build back up very quickly at about 1300 rpm. Great engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vauxhall-royale/19674484

ZTZiM2VmNGEyNTc0OWIyZjAxY2JmMDQxZmYwNmEzOTnvN-NOEfQxLgBOEDrrsjpiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDc5NTgwMDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This could be a promising Winter project. €1250

Cache of parts with it too apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bus Boy wrote: »
    €200 if you have a garage for 4 months?

That's not the way it works. The date you bring the car into the country counts. The inspector will want an invoice (that in fairness you could fabricate yourself) but they also want your ferry ticket.

And an August '89 2l car will need €710 motor tax, at least €720 VRT and then there is the NCT it will still need to pass...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

w124man wrote: »
    No. The oil pressure on the M103 engine will drop to 1 bar (ish) at tickover particularly at that temperature. The viscous cooling fan should kick in about 95 degrees. The pressure should build back up very quickly at about 1300 rpm. Great engines.

Thanks for sharing! My car does this as well. Now I know why :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,512 ✭✭✭✭Esel

unkel wrote: »
    ...an August '89 2l car will need €710 motor tax, at least €720 VRT and then there is the NCT it will still need to pass...

It's a 3 litre though :), so ++€ for tax...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

unkel wrote: »
    That's not the way it works. The date you bring the car into the country counts. The inspector will want an invoice (that in fairness you could fabricate yourself) but they also want your ferry ticket.

And an August '89 2l car will need €710 motor tax, at least €720 VRT and then there is the NCT it will still need to pass...

Or park it up until August next year, then a road trip to NI, ferry to Scotland and back via Holyhead. Fit in the Highlands, Borders, Lake District and North Wales. Or do West Scotland and the Hebridies and back by the Ballycastle ferry, and Bob's your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Maybe a silly questions but why is a ferry ticket needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭SCOL

to prove it came into the Republic on a date.

I bought a car up north in march and all I needed was a handwritten receipt (which anyone could have made up) Different from the mainland is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/vauxhall-royale/19674484

ZTZiM2VmNGEyNTc0OWIyZjAxY2JmMDQxZmYwNmEzOTnvN-NOEfQxLgBOEDrrsjpiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDc5NTgwMDB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This could be a promising Winter project. €1250

Cache of parts with it too apparently

Parked on the main street in Castledermot most of the time but driven regularly, it's not a bad car

Not bad indeed, heres a (terrible) photo of the other side from 2014

14792785689_6c948c1ec2_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kja1888

I bought a car up north in march and all I needed was a handwritten receipt (which anyone could have made up) Different from the mainland is it ?

"The mainland" ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

KevRossi wrote: »
    Or park it up until August next year, then a road trip to NI, ferry to Scotland and back via Holyhead. Fit in the Highlands, Borders, Lake District and North Wales. Or do West Scotland and the Hebridies and back by the Ballycastle ferry, and Bob's your uncle.

Would Brexit and or getting pulled over by the British cops for no Tax/MOT not be potential banana skins for that plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

kja1888 wrote: »
    "The mainland" ffs

Well, he was speaking about Northern Ireland, and was wondering if there is a different requirement if the car was coming from [ the mainland ] UK ( thus requiring a ferry, so a ticket might be apt in that scenario).

Is that the 'ffs' or is it for something else?

Well, he was speaking about Northern Ireland, and was wondering if there is a different requirement if the car was coming from [ the mainland ] UK ( thus requiring a ferry, so a ticket might be apt in that scenario).

Is that the 'ffs' or is it for something else?

He was on about the difference importing a car from GB to RoI as opposed to from NI into RoI. GB is not our "mainland". If he was on about bringing a car into NI from GB then there's no issue as you don't actually import them.

He was on about the difference importing a car from GB to RoI as opposed to from NI into RoI. GB is not our "mainland". If he was on about bringing a car into NI from GB then there's no issue as you don't actually import them.

You have the wrong end of the stick, but you seem happy enough to hold on to it so I'll let you be.

I meant mainland UK, i.e England, Scotland, Wales and not their islands nor NI. Think of it as a UK company providing free mainland postage if you will. I'm only asking why you need a ferry ticket from England, Scotland, Wales (mainland), when you can just hand write a receipt from NI (not mainland UK).

A post-it receipt was sufficient for revenue from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I guessing if the car is registered anywhere outside Northern Ireland then they would want some proof of entry onto the island of Ireland.

NI reg'd cars I am sure are treated differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I guessing if the car is registered anywhere outside Northern Ireland then they would want some proof of entry onto the island of Ireland.

Yes, unless you have bought the car from the previous owner while he was visiting his family in Ireland / was on holidays. Then they may want to chase the previous owner for the ferry ticket :pac:.

You have the wrong end of the stick, but you seem happy enough to hold on to it so I'll let you be.

I haven't got the wrong end of any stick pal. I put up a literal interpretation of what the fella said. If you can't understand the words on the screen in front of you that's your lookout.

I haven't got the wrong end of any stick pal. I put up a literal interpretation of what the fella said. If you can't understand the words on the screen in front of you that's your lookout.

Hold on tight, fella.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Piss still being taken by someone in Waterford about their still unsold Merc 300 T, It's a nice car by the looks of it but he's dropped the price once from 5500 to 5250 in the three months I've been aware of it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-te300/18849507

Meanwhile in Armagh you can get the same model for 2800 sterling, and only months away from classic tax.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1989-mercedes-benz-300te-w124-estate/19768243

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Piss still being taken by someone in Waterford about their still unsold Merc 300 T, It's a nice car by the looks of it but he's dropped the price once from 5500 to 5250 in the three months I've been aware of it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-te300/18849507

Meanwhile in Armagh you can get the same model for 2800 sterling, and only months away from classic tax.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1989-mercedes-benz-300te-w124-estate/19768243
    August MOT on the NI Merc suggests it has a year to go before classic tax, so with VRT and 12 months tax that's 2 grand on top of the asking price if you want to drive it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

WildWater wrote: »

Would Brexit and or getting pulled over by the British cops for no Tax/MOT not be potential banana skins for that plan?
    If Brexit doesn't get sorted out the way the Brits think it will, then anything with a UK reg that isn't cleared by March 29th next year might have duty plus VAT added to the bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,512 ✭✭✭✭Esel

w124man wrote: »
    If Brexit doesn't get sorted out the way the Brits think it will, then anything with a UK reg that isn't cleared by March 29th next year might have duty plus VAT added to the bill

VAT cannot be charged twice.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,599 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Looks like a Starlet with potential.
    He might throw in the brush.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/starlet/19811800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dades wrote: »
    August MOT on the NI Merc suggests it has a year to go before classic tax, so with VRT and 12 months tax that's 2 grand on top of the asking price if you want to drive it now.

Well whatever, metal v metal one is wildly optimistic.

• Advertisement

Yes that's what I thought but apparently nobody knows exactly what will happen after Brexit.

You would think that any car registered in the UK before they leave will be VAT paid in the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Only within the EU.
    If you buy outside the EU (for example from the US) you will pay their state VAT "Sales tax" and you will pay our VAT on import.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,446 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/stunning-1984-saab-99-only-61k-miles/19824750

YjI5YjQ4NWY2ZjZjMWU1Zjg1NjE4MGE4N2Q0MDM0ODh4DMl-IUFAmqwsrSi2BA7saHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMDkwNTYzNTl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

1984 SAAB 99 manual. A two owner car from new with just over 61k miles backed up by a full service history

That is absolutely gorgeous!

When Saabs were Saabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,446 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Wow, that Saab is beautiful IMO.

T.

wow.......... that Saab :cool:
    I'm half thinking of buying a classic for weekend use but I can't get anything too nice as I don't have a garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Augeo wrote: »
    wow.......... that Saab :cool:
    I'm half thinking of buying a classic for weekend use but I can't get anything too nice as I don't have a garage.
    SAABs are pretty much rustproof so it can handle the outside elements pretty well. They had to endure Sweden winters so i figure ours is a piece of cake in comparison.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

80sDiesel wrote: »
    SAABs are pretty much rustproof so it can handle the outside elements pretty well. They had to endure Sweden winters so i figure ours is a piece of cake in comparison.
    iv see a few older ones with rust, the bottoms of the doors usually rust on them.

I wouldn't advise leaving any 30 year + car outside year round.
    It's the unrelenting damp that will do for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

That SAAB deserves a heated garage. Or a concrete floored turf shed that will soak up any moisture.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I 'll be so jealous whoever gets to buy that SAAB :(, it is a thing of beauty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

needs a set of original tail lights and nct is out by the look of it...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-318-e30-convertible-1991/19842620

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Love it as it is.

Well, excepting the engine that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Love it as it is.

Well, excepting the engine that is.
    318's are not actually bad to be fair, no 325i but reflected in the price

kadman wrote: »

Will need an NCT if you want to drive around in it before 2020.

That SAAB deserves a heated garage. Or a concrete floored turf shed that will soak up any moisture.

You mean put turf on the floor?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭MercMad

He means a concrete shed that also has turf stored as it soak up moisture and dampness that is inherent in concrete buildings.

• Advertisement

MercMad wrote: »

He means a concrete shed that also has turf stored as it soak up moisture and dampness that is inherent in concrete buildings.
    Cheers. Will get myself a couple of bags then.

Advertisement