Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me your stories about buying alone.

Options
  • 14-09-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just that really. I'm going into a permanent job soon. I am sick to absolute f of renting ****holes. I'd like to buy. (In Dublin). I have done the sums and I think in three years I could save 18-20k. I'm single atm and I'm not counting on meeting anyone. Obv depending on a bit of a bubble-burst too. Is this really unrealistic? I have no possibility of handouts either. Very worried. If I'm still forced to rent a dog box at 800+ in three years time I'm looking at leaving Ireland. Mid thirties and these are the years!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

What's your salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Loveache

GingerLily wrote: »
    What's your salary?

It'll be low to start (24) but I work on the side creatively. And the job has increments. Obviously looking for central bank exception too. However I'm fit and healthy and I don't want kids and the job is solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Are you aware of the amount you could borrow? If you're on 30k in 3 years, you can borrow 105k plus whatever you have as deposit. Might be difficult to find something reasonable for that money in Dublin.

Just to put it into perspective, there's a reason why people are severely unhappy with how the market is, low earners can either rent, commute or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

In 3 years time your looking to leave Ireland but in 3 years time you hope to have 18k saved? What exactly is your plan as I don’t understand

LirW wrote: »
    Are you aware of the amount you could borrow? If you're on 30k in 3 years, you can borrow 105k plus whatever you have as deposit. Might be difficult to find something reasonable for that money in Dublin.

Just to put it into perspective, there's a reason why people are severely unhappy with how the market is, low earners can either rent, commute or both.

Yes: I'd be hoping for a Central Bank loan to value exception. There are a lot of variables. But the way I see it, I will be paying more than the would-be repayments on rent now for years. And saving. If I don't meet a partner that I'd want to buy with I don't see why it should be off-limits for someone alone.

• Advertisement

TheBully wrote: »
    In 3 years time your looking to leave Ireland but in 3 years time you hope to have 18k saved? What exactly is your plan as I don’t understand

If buying is still inaccessible (for a person alone without a handout) in three years time, even though I will have that amount saved, I'd be taking it and me elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

TheBully wrote:

They'll have 18k deposit in 3 years time to put towards buying a house. If they can't buy a house then they'll leave Ireland. Straight forward enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Had a meeting with a mortgage advisor last month to discuss this. Also looking to buy solo in Dublin. Key points were:
    Max loan 3.5 times salary, exemption is possible up to 4.5 but need to make a good case - permanent employment, secure role, good deposit
    Will only lend 75% of value for a one bed, up to 90% for a two bed

Based on my salary and current savings I would be able to get a property at around the €200k mark. Take a look at daft and see how few options are available at that level. An exemption @ 4.5 times salary would get €250k, but again any reasonably good property will involve a long commute.

Definitely start saving regularly and set yourself some targets, but your probably looking a 5 years or more before you will be in a position to buy (in Dublin at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Not being funny but why are you living in Dublin paying almost 10k a year in rent when you only take home less than 24k from your day job?
    Surely you could get a job anywhere in the country that pays more than that without the Dublin overheads

Loveache wrote: »
    Yes: I'd be hoping for a Central Bank loan to value exception. There are a lot of variables. But the way I see it, I will be paying more than the would-be repayments on rent now for years. And saving. If I don't meet a partner that I'd want to buy with I don't see why it should be off-limits for someone alone.

You're unlikely to get an exemption at such a low wage considering the repayments and your take home pay.

A property in Dublin CC for anyone on 30k as a single applicant is scraping the barrel.

You'll need to work on your income or change location.

• Advertisement

TheBully wrote: »
    Not being funny but why are you living in Dublin paying almost 10k a year in rent when you only take home less than 24k from your day job?
    Surely you could get a job anywhere in the country that pays more than that without the Dublin overheads

That's the conundrum- the job is dublin. I've been here 16 years and my life is here now too, I wouldn't be precious about commuting but 'proper' relocating isn't a real option.

That's the conundrum- the job is dublin. I've been here 16 years and my life is here now too, I wouldn't be precious about commuting but 'proper' relocating isn't a real option.

A big commute is also really expensive fwiw.

Humour Me wrote: »
    Had a meeting with a mortgage advisor last month to discuss this. Also looking to buy solo in Dublin. Key points were:
    Max loan 3.5 times salary, exemption is possible up to 4.5 but need to make a good case - permanent employment, secure role, good deposit
    Will only lend 75% of value for a one bed, up to 90% for a two bed

Based on my salary and current savings I would be able to get a property at around the €200k mark. Take a look at daft and see how few options are available at that level. An exemption @ 4.5 times salary would get €250k, but again any reasonably good property will involve a long commute.

Definitely start saving regularly and set yourself some targets, but your probably looking a 5 years or more before you will be in a position to buy (in Dublin at least).

That's actually really helpful that you can get a better deal for a two bed than a one bed. I didn't know that. I suppose the possibility of renting out a room is a factor in that.

GingerLily wrote: »
    You're unlikely to get an exemption at such a low wage considering the repayments and your take home pay.

A property in Dublin CC for anyone on 30k as a single applicant is scraping the barrel.

You'll need to work on your income or change location.

Even on a flat? 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

Firstly, I hope things work out for the best. It’s nice to own in Ireland due to the nature of our rental market not really allowing for the establishment of a home.

Again like another said, I know it’s hard to consider another city but don’t totally rule it out . I’m living in Limerick and I would not be able to replicate what I have here if I was to move to Dublin without doubling my salarly. I simple could not afford it live in Dublin. I’m working in IT in my late 20’s and was fortunate enough to be able to buy 4 bed house a couple of years ago in what I consider one of the best areas of the city . My commute is 15 minutes to the city centre and people may knock it but Limerick is really booming due to its low cost with many in IT moving down from Dublin. (I’ll be the first to admit it does not match the social variety of a capital city - it the one thing I miss from my time in Dublin)

I hope you do not become another victim of a lost generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Even on a flat? 😭

You'd need to be on €50k with your deposit or have a €110k deposit with your income.

There's a housing crisis and you are on much lower than the average wage, of course you'll struggle to buy a property in the capital as a single applicant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I have mortgage approval with rebuild Ireland, lone parent and single

18 months ago I got mortgage approval with a bank but wasn’t enough to quite afford anywhere in Dublin

It will be a worry taking on a mortgage especially when paying over the odds at the moment but that’s the only real choice I have. Can’t really continue to afford paying rent on a 2 bedroom and childcare for my child on my salary

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Application denied or live in Leitrim..that's usually the two choices

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You might get a 1 bed apartment in dublin,
    your choice will be very limited .
    eg https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/balbriggan/6-barons-hall-lodge-balbriggan-dublin-1882035/

Thats assuming prices do not rise in the next 2 years,
    maybe you could team up with a friend ,
    And buy a 2bed house.The problem i see is say you save 10k a year,
    prices might rise by 15k plus each year.

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-sale/ballymun/67-the-plaza-ballymun-dublin-1889842/
    Apartments have a yearly service charge .
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/rush/moss-cottage-sandy-road-rush-dublin-1663934/

Look on daft, myhome.ie county dublin.
    You might find a small house under 150k.
    If a house is advertised for 120k, it might sell for 140k.
    Houses are alot cheaper, say 40- 60 minutes commute from dublin.
    in meath or other area,s .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

gl0Rob wrote: »
    Firstly, I hope things work out for the best. It’s nice to own in Ireland due to the nature of our rental market not really allowing for the establishment of a home.

Again like another said, I know it’s hard to consider another city but don’t totally rule it out . I’m living in Limerick and I would not be able to replicate what I have here if I was to move to Dublin without doubling my salarly. I simple could not afford it live in Dublin. I’m working in IT in my late 20’s and was fortunate enough to be able to buy 4 bed house a couple of years ago in what I consider one of the best areas of the city . My commute is 15 minutes to the city centre and people may knock it but Limerick is really booming due to its low cost with many in IT moving down from Dublin. (I’ll be the first to admit it does not match the social variety of a capital city - it the one thing I miss from my time in Dublin)

I hope you do not become another victim of a lost generation.

And what happens when the work i Limerick dries up?

OP save hard. Focus on getting promoted (from the salary I'm guessing its entry level civil or public service) so doable.

Be disciplined about your side income and make sure it's tax compliant ( preliminary tax is painful the first year you have to pay it unless its planned for).

• Registered Users Posts: 46 madwidow

I thought OP wanted to hear other peoples stories?
    Bought alone 6 years ago. Just as the properies started climbing back up and right befor my company was started 1st redundancy round.
    Saved for 5 years prior. Initially planned and got accepted for affordable housing scheme but new builds pipes burst during the last bad winter and the builders were slow at the snag list. Ended up buying privately and asking same bank to increase the AIP by 10 grand no problem.. only figured i was lended 5.5 times my salary but my bank account got 7 year check with explanations for every large withdrawal for money laundering contrary to current 6 -12 proof of regular savings nowadays
    Its quite scary now in the property market and rentals. A house share 550 per month by 2 people is history now.. lucky to have a single room for that price

Save hard definately. Either way a deposit for a house or funds for moving

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

And what happens when the work i Limerick dries up?

Why would it be drying up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Fol20

As others have pointed out, you really don’t stand much of a chance at being able to afford bottom of the barrel type properties either. It’s a sad truth but an honest one and you need to realistic with your finances. The only thing you could look into in the help to buy scheme and even then, I don’t know if you you could get something.

You say if it’s the same in. 3 years, your going to leave the country yet your not willing to try and move elsewhere in Ireland. Do you not think that is a little extreme considering you would be closer to family. You would also struggle to buy in cork or galway with your current ability to pay also. The grass isn’t always greener as well and most metropolitan areas are also extremely expensive and would be out of your reach also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bigroad

I think another possibility is to get mortgage approval for what ever you can get .
    Then buy a property as close to Dublin as you can get which will be a county or two out
    And rent it out.
    In a few years the value f the property should rise a bit with some of the mortgage paid off.
    Then in a few years you can decide if you want to sell and trade up or leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

It's tough. I think there should be different rules for single income applicants than double.
    I did it. Have my house a few years now.
    It was great being able to do everything to my own taste, but then you've no one to split costs and bills with.
    I don't live alone anymore and stresses are caused by having to make joint decisions rather than how we'll pay for things now.
    There's huge sacrifices to be made, but huge satisfaction to be had also.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

And maybe add your name to local authority 'affordable housing' lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,009 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Rebuilding Ireland looks like your best option. There is a lot of "affordable housing" being developed at the moment so don't give up hope op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

In terms of my experience having bought 2-3 years or so ago.
    • I had went to four banks (Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, AIB and KBC),
    • three offered to loan more than the 3.5 time limit,
    • however none would/could budge on the deposit requirement,
    • do not underestimate the costs of solicitor fees, site surveyor/valuation and all of the other little fees and charges, trust me theyll take a noticeable bite out of that €18-20k...
    I ended up going with Bank of Ireland, borrowed approx 4.25 times my salary in the end, no issues at all when I was drawing down (think it was KBC who wouldnt offer more than 3.5 times my salary). I was pretty comfortable doing so as I expected my salary was going to raise in the coming years and had no dependants.

The entire process was quite straightforward and stress free tbh; got the first house my bid was accepted on and went grand. Worst or most awkward part of it was dealing with AIB, really poor customer service

This is obviously a no brainer and easier said than done, but do everything to get your salary and deposit up even if you need to change jobs, great opportunities at the moment, just make sure your permanent/with your employer at least 12 months when you apply for your mortgage loan.

Very best of luck with it, hope it works out for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Not to be negative but good luck with trying to move to another country in your mid-thirties & ending up in a good situation. Don't think thats possible given your present salary.
    Whatever it is that you would like to do try not to imagine outcomes that probably won't happen.

Advertisement