Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing purchase – Final walk through.

Options
  • 17-10-2019 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Closing purchase – Final walk through.

Hi all,

Hopefully going to close on a purchase in coming days, and trying to put together a checklist of things to review/handover from vendor or estate agent for vendor.

Keys for all doors

Keys for all windows

Alarm codes

Test heating?

Test water?

MPRN numbers or whatever you call them? For utilities?

It is reasonable to ask estate agent to show you how to use heating etc?

Also, when buying a house, and taking ownership, is it wise to get the locks changed ASAP or am I over-reacting?

Would love to get other peoples tips and experience as I’m terrified we’ll miss something and the vendor/estate agent will be gone in the wind.

Is there any sort of online checklist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

I didn't change locks but I feel it's a smart move to make. I will definitely do it in my next house and I would recommend you do the same. With Google/Youtube I wouldn't worry too much about the heating system unless it's something quirky. Most of them are pretty intuitive these days.

I asked questions such as

- When were certain rooms like bathrooms and kitchens last fitted
    -How old are certain appliances like the boiler, fridge, dishwasher, electric shower
    -are there any guarantees for these appliances which could be left behind
    -where is the water/gas mains on off switch in case of emergency
    -How is the payment for any maintenance fees paid.. including for the upkeep of any playgrounds etc in your estate (not just apartments)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

Youll be doing well to get everything to be fair...depending on what the vendor is like.

Youll get your MPRN numbers off the meters aswell.

Ask for everything and hope for the best but dont stress if you get none of it either! The agent wont have a breeze how to use the heating!

Most things can be rectified anyway. We got literally nothing with our house (e-xrental) bar one front door key! and an incorrect alarm code from the agent :rolleyes:
    We were left with a locked internal door and no key for it :D

I wouldnt panic about getting locks changed but I would plan to do it once you are in. You can do this yourself if you are any way handy. I think its worth it for piece of mind.

again it all comes down to the person you are buying from... if its a really well kept cared for house I'm sure the owner wont mind leaving explanations for things... if not you just have to get on with it! google will help you through alot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Check they attic has been emptied if agreed.

Know how you can switch off water if required

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Make sure the bins, sheds, attics are empty, and there is no rubbish around the place.
    Check your contracts for inclusions and make sure they are still in the property (curtains, light fittings, white goods etc).
    Personally, I would change locks particularly if its an ex rental. Wouldn't worry about internal door keys, they are easy to replace.
    Make sure there have been no glaringly obvious changes made to the property and find the stopcock.

The MPRN should be on the BER cert anyway so your solicitor will have that, and take pics of the meter readings so you can submit them as initial readings if the owners haven't submitted final readings so you have power.

Other than that, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Read the gas meter , esb meter on the day you move in,
    you,ll need to get the bills changed over to your name
    as soon as you can.
    Change the front door lock.
    Back door lock,especially if the house was rented out .
    have one box with electric kettle, cup,s ,coffee,sugar , in it , for the day you move in .
    to change a barrell type door lock , all you need is a small philips type screw driver .
    cost 12 euro.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/meters-readings/how-to-find-your-mprn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭ChewBerecca

We were given the front door keys and nothing else from the agent. Vendor had thrown the back door key out when clearing the house and didnt bother to warn us. Locksmith broke 4 drill bits trying to open the back door so he could change the locks. We found one key for the windows, thankfully all unlocked, but agents don't always give you everything.

You can take the serial numbers from the gas/electricity meters and then Gas Networks Ireland/ESB can confirm the GPRN/MPRN. If the agent has them, great, but if not it's a quick call.

Definitely check the attics/storage. Not something a lot of people see when viewing initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

AS part of the contract ,the estate agent should hand over the door keys ,
    for all the exterior door,s
    some house,s have a side door , and back door .
    The agent should have them, or at least an old ,gas, esb bill to give to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭StoptheClocks

The estate agent should do all of the above for you. Apart from testing the water and heating. Check when the last time your boiler was serviced. You can get deals on your electric/heating with a free service etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The estate agent should do all of the above for you.
    Would do it myself for peace of mind, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Check they attic has been emptied if agreed.

Know how you can switch off water if required

Definitely check the attic , nearly got landed with a load of junk only I checked it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

I would advise checked the electricity meter. I got the keys of my current house and arrived up to find there was no power and the previous owner had a special pre-power meter installed. It was a lot of hassle to get that sorted, If I recall correctly it took me a few days to get power restored as only certain suppliers would work with that meter, luckily it didn't need to be re-energised and we weren't moving it straight away....

Advertisement