Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-10-2010, 17:22   #31
Firehen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
Can't help but feel bad for the Padres. I have a feeling Phillies/Giants will be an epic 7-gamer.
I hope so and with the pitching staffs of both teams, its not unlikely. Nothing more exciting than a 7th game.

As for the Padres, 90 wins was way beyond anyone's expectations, but the way the season ended was particularly devastating. Still, it was an indication that the future is bright for San Diego baseball.
Advertisement
19-10-2010, 17:48   #32
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet_man View Post
Top of fifth now and Lee is pitching super...think it's only Teixeira dat got to 1st with a walk.
ESPN are say he'll be a yankee next year...money talks I suppose
It must be weird for him pitching a game so well against a team he'll almost certainly be playing for next year.

I liked Nolan Ryan's quote when asked how much it'll cost to sign him next season and his answer was "ask those guys over there" (meaning the Yankees)
20-10-2010, 14:40   #33
idwfan

I don't know if Cliff Lee will join the Yankees in the off season. They had a lack lustre attempet turned down last season and they didn't loko too serious about it. Steinberg Jr. has been coy about him joining saying that if he comes someone may have to go essentially.
20-10-2010, 14:56   #34
krustydoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by idwfan View Post
I don't know if Cliff Lee will join the Yankees in the off season. They had a lack lustre attempet turned down last season and they didn't loko too serious about it. Steinberg Jr. has been coy about him joining saying that if he comes someone may have to go essentially.

So would you not swap him for burnett??? But i really hope A.J gets his confidence back cos he is a serious pitcher on his day..
20-10-2010, 18:11   #35
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by idwfan View Post
After the way he pitched in Game 3, there is no way the Yankees aren't going to do whatever it takes ($$$$) to get Cliff Lee in pinstripes next season especially if they go onto lose this series and the fans get restless because it'll have been a year since they won the World Series!! He can name his price and the length of contract he wants.
Advertisement
20-10-2010, 19:12   #36

Last time I was here I said 'go Giants!'

and would you believe, they are going all the way!!!
20-10-2010, 22:52   #37
tumbling_dice

The Yankees have to resign Jeter though and they don't exactly have anything coming off the books. No one is paying Burnett's contract for them. If the Royals shop Greinke, I think you'll see Montero being offered and possibly taken. They are going to need a starter or too, but I'm not sure if they will up their budget enough for Lee. I mean, if they do sign him, they have to give him CC money don't they? Cashman is not stupid. They're already very top heavy with big contracts; they could get into a very precarious situation if they add something like 6 years of Lee on top of that.

Question is, if they don't sign him, who does? The Angels could hardly afford both Lee and Crawford. The Rangers, probably not. The Red Sox, no. The Mets, hardly. The Cubs, no way. Who else can afford him? Minnesota? Maybe. Phillies? No. I really don't know. Gonna be interesting.

Personally I think the Mets could chase Lee and Vazquez and be in the playoffs next year with a bit of luck at second base and in the pen. But the money probably won't be there.
21-10-2010, 13:13   #38
jack presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbling_dice View Post
The Yankees have to resign Jeter though and they don't exactly have anything coming off the books. No one is paying Burnett's contract for them. If the Royals shop Greinke, I think you'll see Montero being offered and possibly taken. They are going to need a starter or too, but I'm not sure if they will up their budget enough for Lee. I mean, if they do sign him, they have to give him CC money don't they? Cashman is not stupid. They're already very top heavy with big contracts; they could get into a very precarious situation if they add something like 6 years of Lee on top of that.

Question is, if they don't sign him, who does? The Angels could hardly afford both Lee and Crawford. The Rangers, probably not. The Red Sox, no. The Mets, hardly. The Cubs, no way. Who else can afford him? Minnesota? Maybe. Phillies? No. I really don't know. Gonna be interesting.

Personally I think the Mets could chase Lee and Vazquez and be in the playoffs next year with a bit of luck at second base and in the pen. But the money probably won't be there.
The whole Mets thing's up in the air until they get a new GM in. Once he's appointed, we'll be in a better position to judge who they're going to go after. I think Lee will be out of their price range though. The pen wasn't too bad this season, it was hitting that let them down so but I don't know who they should go after.

As for the playoffs, I wouldn't count the Phillies out yet. Of the 3 games left they have Halladay, Oswalt and Hamels lined up to pitch and even though 2 of them lost the first time out, there isn't a better 1-2-3 in the game. It's on well past my bedtime tonight but I'd love to see Halladay v Lincecum II.
22-10-2010, 18:01   #39
jack presley

Both series hotting up now. 3-2 in both and even though they are behind, I still make the Yankees and especially the Phillies the favourites.

The Phillies have 2 home games with 2 'as good as aces' pitchers on the mound while I think the pressure will get to the Rangers 9even with Cliff Lee on the mound in game 7).

Here's hoping for a great weekend of baseball!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-10-2010, 23:51   #40

Fancy both to go the distance tbh.

Lee to get it done in game 7 against a woeful Yankees and the best team in the league to storm back to beat the Giants.
23-10-2010, 00:11   #41
tumbling_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack presley View Post
Both series hotting up now. 3-2 in both and even though they are behind, I still make the Yankees and especially the Phillies the favourites.

The Phillies have 2 home games with 2 'as good as aces' pitchers on the mound while I think the pressure will get to the Rangers 9even with Cliff Lee on the mound in game 7).

Here's hoping for a great weekend of baseball!!
Jack, the Yankees cannot be favourites. They can't! Not only do the Rangers only have to win one, but the Yankees have to beat Cliff Lee. They have to, no way round it. I realise that you know this already but, man, I'd be stunned if the Rangers didn't win this one now. Stunned.
23-10-2010, 00:42   #42
8-10

Quote:
Jack, the Yankees cannot be favourites. They can't! Not only do the Rangers only have to win one, but the Yankees have to beat Cliff Lee. They have to, no way round it. I realise that you know this already but, man, I'd be stunned if the Rangers didn't win this one now. Stunned.
I agree. And I think they'll get it done tonight, just.
23-10-2010, 05:24   #43
8-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-10 View Post
I agree. And I think they'll get it done tonight, just.
Bigger margin than I thought! Really kept those yankee bats down. 63 hits to 38 in the series total....well deserved win for Texas!
23-10-2010, 10:20   #44
jack presley

Quote:
I'm happy to be wrong in this case!!!!
24-10-2010, 01:13   #45
muppet_man

As a yankeey I'm dissapointed at 4-2 loss but not suppprised. I think Rangers should of won of it stright out.
For last few weeks NYY didn't look sharp enough. They had their league in their own hands and let it slip. I belive it it was 2 home loss to Balimore towards the end. Win them and forget wildcard.
Post-season big palyers didn't stand up. Arod, swish, cano what did they do? Jeter as led bat, how many bases did he get against rangers? I'd love to know.

Anyways after 50 years good luck to rangers. Hope to see Lee at NYY next season.

Rooting for gaints now, they were 1st baseball game i ever watched when i went there a few years ago

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion