Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I swear - you couldn't make this schite up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I've only read the quotes section of the website - but it sounds to me like the whole thing is just a píss take:
    reasons why i reject evolution

1: It teaches us to be satisfied with - not understanding origins.
    2: It promotes the dangerous nonsense of no first cause - no supreme scientist and suggests order came from disorder.
    3: It is a mataphysical speculation, a doctrine dressed up in scientific garb.
    4: Anyone who teaches evolution is either ignorant or deliberately suppressing the known scientific facts.
    5: It is a toxic poisonous mind virus which destroys the hearts immune system against hope and common sense.
    6: It is an anaesthetic against reason.
    7: It cripples sanity, promotes myths, obscures reality and elevates matter above a maker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Isnt Evolution supposed to be a theory ?

No, evolution is a fact. The theory of evolution by natural selection is the explanation of how it works, in the same way that the theory of music is the explanation of how music works.

Sanjuro wrote: »

I hate the Independent.
    THE TANAISTE lived up to her 'Calamity Coughlan' nickname yesterday.

Translation: Here's what we want you to think.
    The gaffe-prone minister was left red-faced after she erroneously referred to the theory of evolution as having been formulated by Einstein.

And here's what we want you to think about her.
    The scientific basis for evolution, which has moved from theory to accepted truth

Oh, ffs...
    was first promulgated by Charles Darwin in his 1859 book 'On the Origin of Species'.

Just in case you didn't know - now your friends won't think you're as gaffe-prone as Calamity Coughlan.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

Shouldn't discourse on all possible explanations of life be encouraged without ranting and raving?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

veritable wrote: »
    Shouldn't discourse on all possible explanations of life be encouraged without ranting and raving?
    Tom Cruise agrees! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I hate the Independent.

And here's what we want you to think about her.
    Yeah, I don't like the Independent either, but it was the first result in the search for the incident. And she did say Einstein's theory of Evolution. Coming from a rag like the Independent doesn't change that she said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't like the Independent either, but it was the first result in the search for the incident. And she did say Einstein's theory of Evolution. Coming from a rag like the Independent doesn't change that she said it.

True, sorry, was just bitching about the standard of "journalism." Carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

True, sorry, was just bitching about the standard of "journalism." Carry on.
    Hahaha! Yeah, it's a constant source of irritation to me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Dempsey wrote: »
    Only in Ireland!

He should be sacked by Fianna Fail for being an idiot of the highest order

Impossible. If people in government were sacked for stupidity we would have to have a general election tomorrow, and then again a week later as another crop got sacked, and so on and so on. Possibly that would cause the Irish political system to evolve, thus proving the theory. God, loving the weak and stupid and Fine Fail, would not like that.:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So shall we start teaching that the earth is flat is school now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

You mean that there are people about who don't know the earth is flat? Good God, what happened to the knowledge economy?:p

What's your point?

Why don't people explain why the guy is wrong instead of attacking him?

What's your point?

Why don't people explain why the guy is wrong instead of attacking him?
    If someone wrote a book about the Earth being flat would you try and explain to him why he is wrong or would you call him an idiot?

If someone wrote a book about the Earth being flat would you try and explain to him why he is wrong or would you call him an idiot?

You are making an invalid comparison.

We know that the earth is not flat. We can prove it.
    Not one of us can prove evolution or the existence or nonexistence of god.

You are making an invalid comparison.

We know that the earth is not flat. We can prove it.
    Evolution is as much of a fact as the Earth being a sphere.

It's not a fact. I'm sorry but it's not a fact. I believe evolution is the best explanation available for our existence but it's not proven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

+1
    You only have to listen to 30 seconds of the video on the below page to see how much of a moron this guy really is

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/how_about_the_irish_minister_o.php

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So I presume you'll be presenting your indisputable proof to him and claiming that €10,000?

• Advertisement

It's not a fact. I'm sorry but it's not a fact. I believe evolution is the best explanation available for our existence but it's not proven.
    You can't prove that the sun will rise in the morning, does that mean it's not a fact?

Evolution has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt, evolution is a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

You do realise that nothing in science is proven? It's all about modelling.

In layman's terms, it's a fact.

You can't prove that the sun will rise in the morning, does that mean it's not a fact?

Evolution has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt, evolution is a fact.

You're still comparing apples and oranges. You're wrong saying that evolution is a fact and I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Biggins wrote: »
    Credit due to Oceanclub who drew our attention to the following in the politics section.

Minister of State for Science - to launch anti-science book!

See: http://www.atheist.ie/2010/09/science-minister-lenihan-to-launch-book-calling-evolution-a-hoax/

If that ain't a HUGE big "Fcuk-you" to every science teacher and scientist in Ireland - whom he's supposed to be representing - I don't know what is!

Pure crazy, given the office he currently holds.

Once I saw the name John J May it all made sense, I'll explain:

I previously did some work on building a website for Mr May, during that time he showed me an unaired pilot of a show he was hosting and financing (he was / is pretty wealthy), the main guest on this unaired pilot was none other than Connor Lenihan. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the show, think it was called something like "the controversy show".

The website in question was also (to the best of my knowledge) a side project of a fairly hefty conglomerate headed by Jim Mansfield iirc.

Also, I seem to remember that he tried launching an Irish equivalent of Playboy a few years back called Sin or something, which apparently had to be scrapped due to legal issues involving the photos being used.

Ah well, more power to him if he can get some poor dopes to buy his book :)

c_man wrote: »
    You do realise that nothing in science is proven? It's all about modelling.

In layman's terms, it's a fact.

Collect the e10,000 prize then and prove it to us. Clearly depending on your definition of proof, that is.

You're wrong saying that evolution is a fact and I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Good, we'd hate for someone to go around repeating lies.
    It is a fact, regardless of whether you like it or not.

And if you don't think so, well, good luck asking the doctor for medication only for unevolved strains

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Collect the e10,000 prize then and prove it to us. Clearly depending on your definition of proof, that is.

Maybe just answer my post first.
    You do realise that nothing in science is proven?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    +1
    You only have to listen to 30 seconds of the video on the below page to see how much of a moron this guy really is

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/09/how_about_the_irish_minister_o.php

Note the Ribbiting at 20 seconds! Someone evolved from a frog instead of a chimp!

You're still comparing apples and oranges. You're wrong saying that evolution is a fact and I'm not going to keep repeating myself.

Is the sun rising tomorrow a fact? If so, would you mind proving it to me?
    Is the Earth rotating around the Sun a fact? If so, would you mind proving it to me?

The evidence for these tells us they are facts, the evidence for evolution is just as strong.

So, either you're a hypocrite, or you don't think that the earth rotating around the sun or the sun rising tomorrow is a fact. So which is it?

...I'm not going to keep repeating myself.
    In all seriousness and said with respect, you'd be doing yourself an honest favour if you didn't. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but this guy is going to be on Moncrieff's show on Newstalk today just after the 3.30 news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Gang of Gin

EnterNow wrote: »
    What an absoloute laughing stock of a country, is the whole thing one big hidden camera show?? If Jeremy Beadle wasn't dead I'd be half expecting him to pop out and laugh at us all.

Ah well, at least he won't have to pay tax on his book earnings (assuming some clowns actually buy it).

Fianna Fail - regress your intelligence 50 years, vote now!

http://timesbusiness.typepad.com/money_weblog/2009/04/the-10-highest-paid-politicians-in-the-world.html

Ha ha. Where do you think he'd pop out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Ah well, more power to him if he can get some poor dopes to buy his book :)

and ironically all the offended posters and twitterers will have given the author much more publicity then he would otherwise have got.

I note that of the most popular stories on Irishtimes.com at the moment

number 1 : Conor Lenihan will NOT be launching the "anti-evolution" book
    number 3 : is that Conor Lenihan will be launching the "anti-evolution" book

Is the sun rising tomorrow a fact? If so, would you mind proving it to me?
    Is the Earth rotating around the Sun a fact? If so, would you mind proving it to me?

The evidence for these tells us they are facts, the evidence for evolution is just as strong.

So, either you're a hypocrite, or you don't think that the earth rotating around the sun or the sun rising tomorrow is a fact. So which is it?

Christ! I believe in evolution you zealot!;)
    My point is that evolution is a theory and not a law.
    Here is the comparison you should be making:
    eg. The theory of evolution vs the law of gravity

Erm, scientific theory trumps scientific law. And gravity isn't proven either.

http://www.evolution.mbdojo.com/theory.html
    A scientific law is a description of an observed phenomenon. Kepler's Laws of Planetary Motion are a good example. Those laws describe the motions of planets. But they do not explain why they are that way. If all scientists ever did was to formulate scientific laws, then the universe would be very well-described, but still unexplained and very mysterious.

A theory is a scientific explanation of an observed phenomenon. Unlike laws, theories actually explain why things are the way they are. Theories are what science is for. If, then, a theory is a scientific explanation of a natural phenomena, ask yourself this: "What part of that definition excludes a theory from being a fact?" The answer is nothing! There is no reason a theory cannot be an actual fact as well. [/b]

Erm, scientific theory trumps scientific law. And gravity isn't proven either.

http://www.evolution.mbdojo.com/theory.html

ok ok i concede...I'm too hungover to argue any further....good luck:)

I WIN I WIN!!!!

:D

I find that strangely erotic.
    Stay where you are, the men in white suits are on the way. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Not one of us can prove the existence of non-existence of the flying spagetti monster either, that doesn't give us licence to make **** up though. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

snyper wrote: »
    If evolution is a hoax, its a fairly elabourate one.

People that believe the earth is 3000 years old and that we were created as man are Braindead.

Evolution is only a theory, but its one of the most bullet proof theories there are.

The most upsetting thing about young earth creationists is they believe there was no dinosaurs :eek:. I believe in you T-Rex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Bill Hicks revelations show...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I thought they believed that dinosaurs and men existed at the same time. Or am I mixing up my crazies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Selected

Earth is a geoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mohawk wrote: »
    The most upsetting thing about young earth creationists is they believe there was no dinosaurs :eek:. I believe in you T-Rex

What are you talking about? YECs believe that God had domesticated dinosaurs for our needs. We could ride them, keep them as pets etc. (Apparently, before the fall they were all herbivores too.)

Gravity is a theory too T_T

I think you just have a mixup in terms

(thankfully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I don't believe in evolution. I don't believe in creationism either. Doesn't mean the right answer isn't somewhere in between.

I don't believe in evolution. I don't believe in creationism either. Doesn't mean the right answer isn't somewhere in between.

Well, we either evolved, or were were created as is. There isn't really an inbetween.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Well, we either evolved, or were were created as is. There isn't really an inbetween.

Morphed?:pac:

• Advertisement

I don't believe in gravity

I'm flying jack I'm flying!!

Advertisement