Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things don't just happen.

Options
  • 14-08-2007 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

I am in no position to say that you're beliefs, or lack of, are wrong. My problem is, how can you just 100% say that there is no God or creator. Common sence suggests that something or someone had to cause the Big Bang(and pre-big bang)

You do know Darwin, had doubts about his own idea right? The IDEA of evolution was just that, an idea.

The fact that God created the planet is obvious, that is what drives me mad, it's plain ignorrance that makes you not see it.

Just on a final note, every single idea of evolution has been proven wrong. This is fact. When testing humans, every time they tested on are supposed ancestors, either error or match not found has come up.

The missing link is not complicated. Yes, faith is blind, and not until we die, will we find out the truth.

I'm not saying my religion is the right one, and judging by other relgions this could end me up in Hell, but I'm in no doubt there is a God.

*I wish I was more literate so I could argue my case better*

I just ask you, if you do reply and object(obviously) don't make moronic statements, which attempt to prove me wrong. The thing about evolution being wrong has been virtually proven, it's only the scientists who still object.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

how can you just 100% say that there is no God or creator.

How can you 100% prove that there is one?
    Common sence suggests that something or someone had to cause the Big Bang(and pre-big bang)

And common sense suggests that we wait until a scientific explaination is given on that one.
    Just because we do not have the answers to the inner workings of the universe, doesn't mean we fill in the blanks with 'god' as the answer.
    You do know Darwin, had doubts about his own idea right? The IDEA of evolution was just that, an idea.

sorry, but lol
    The fact that God created the planet is obvious

Really? It sure ain't obvious to me.
    it's plain ignorrance that makes you not see it.

Ignorance to me is someone who makes stuff up in order to feel more comfortable with their existance. But of course, that's just my opinion.
    Just on a final note, every single idea of evolution has been proven wrong. This is fact.

Fact you say. If you say so, it must be true, is that it?
    The thing about evolution being wrong has been virtually proven, it's only the scientists who still object.

You mean, the guys who know what they are talking about?
    Are you trolling this forum?
    Wanders off to check your previous posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I dont know where to begin picking that apart.

Tell me, Are you a Christian? Does the Sin of Pride ring a bell?

You basically have just some along and said "I'm right and you're all stupid for not agreeing". Not exactly conductive a rational debate is it?

"I just ask you, if you do reply and object(obviously) don't make moronic statements, which attempt to prove me wrong. The thing about evolution being wrong has been virtually proven, it's only the scientists who still object."

Oh my dear Gods. You ask people not to make moronic statements to respond to your moronic statements? Not exactly fair is it?

What exactly are you trying to say here?

Seriously. Is there a single point you are trying to make? Stick with the single point for now and try not to be so insulting and arrogant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I am in no position to say that you're beliefs, or lack of, are wrong. My problem is, how can you just 100% say that there is no God or creator. Common sence suggests that something or someone had to cause the Big Bang(and pre-big bang)

Possible (but highly improbable), but we don't know for sure. It's just that scientifically we have a better theory then an old fellah in the sky made it happen. But there's no proof.

Perhaps but that's the beauty of science new evidence can disprove a theory and create a new one. Science is a theory coupled with known facts to give us a likely assumption until it's proven.
    The fact that God created the planet is obvious, that is what drives me mad, it's plain ignorrance that makes you not see it.

Show me the evidence and don't say the bible. That book has been changed by man loads of times with loads of different versions. What drives me mad is people blindly accepting something because a bloke wearing a dress said so. "But it's in the book lads".
    Just on a final note, every single idea of evolution has been proven wrong. This is fact.

Don't preach this malarke to me without evidence. Solid Rock hard evidence.
    When testing humans, every time they tested on are supposed ancestors, either error or match not found has come up

Errr. It's proven fact our DNA is 1% different from chimps.
    The missing link is not complicated. Yes, faith is blind, and not until we die, will we find out the truth.

I won't. At least I hope there's no afterlife, the thought of living forever is a tad daunting tbh.
    I just ask you, if you do reply and object(obviously) don't make moronic statements, which attempt to prove me wrong. The thing about evolution being wrong has been virtually proven, it's only the scientists who still object.

Don't come here making moronic statements that evolution is wrong without evidence proving this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Just on a final note, every single idea of evolution has been proven wrong. This is fact. When testing humans, every time they tested on are supposed ancestors, either error or match not found has come up.

I'm not saying my religion is the right one, and judging by other relgions this could end me up in Hell, but I'm in no doubt there is a God.

Um ... did anyone elses Troll Alarm go off when reading this?

Straight up, each and every single point you make here is not merely refutable but contemptable.

You offer no evidence, you cite no reference and you make assertions as argument for your case.

It does however illustrate the kind of boggled thinking that so pervades the theistic perspective as well as a number of well known misconceptions about evolution, Darwin and the nature of the universe.

Firstly, Darwin struggled for a long time with his theory of natural selection, this is true, however he was finally convinced byt the astounding level of evidence accumulated to support the theory.

Second, there is no evidence to suggest that the world was "created" by any kind of intelligent designer and to assume so violates occams razor. To the contrary, all of the evidence that is verifiable and measureeable supports the conclusion that the earth was formed in the same manner as all other celestial bodies (clouds of dust and gas clumping together slowly increasing in gravity until a planetoid is formed). It is not ignorance that causes many of us to reject the position that "God did it" but confrontation with the evidence.

Third, I agree wholeheartedly, I too wish you were more literate and capable of expressing your argument better - chances are though, were you more literate, you wouldnt be making this argument in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

Mine did >_<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Firstly, Darwin struggled for a long time with his theory of natural selection, this is true, however he was finally convinced by the astounding level of evidence accumulated to support the theory.

And that was 150 years ago.

I wish. No, that post could be entirely genuine. Even an apparent hit-and-run posting can be the result of realising just how much you've bitten off. Anyway, if it's trolling, it has its own strange beauty.
    I am in no position to say that you're beliefs, or lack of, are wrong.
    My problem is, how can you just 100% say that there is no God or creator. Common sence suggests that something or someone had to cause the Big Bang(and pre-big bang)

Indeed. How does common sense suggest such a thing?

Theories tend to be.

There's a search engine?
    I just ask you, if you do reply and object(obviously) don't make moronic statements, which attempt to prove me wrong.

You don't want to be proved wrong?
    The thing about evolution being wrong has been virtually proven, it's only the scientists who still object.

Ah. The scientific theory of evolution has been proven wrong by....? Not by scientists, anyway.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Clearly a troll user (see his threads in AH). Please don't feed the trolls, this can cause them serious digestive problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

it's only the scientists who still object

This does sound like a fairly obvious satire on the same lines as "you can prove anything true using facts".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

DaveMcG wrote:
    Clearly a troll user (see his threads in AH).
    We'll give him a couple more hours to reappear and explain himself, after which time he'll find his excuse for a thread closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It is?
    Believe us, so do we :rolleyes:
    I just ask you, if you do reply and object(obviously) don't make moronic statements
    Shouldn't you start as you mean others to follow. Case in point ...

So who exactly has "virtually proven" evolution false if not the scientists? The taxi drivers?

• Advertisement

Ok it is time to admit we were wrong

The Flying Spaghetti monster has been seen and videoed
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=8vzqspFxNe4

Visions of our noodly lord are appearing everywhere
    http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap060822.html

So can we just pack up this forum admit we were wrong and go home?*

*yes this is a thread hijacking troll but with an initial post that is that stupid I could not resist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Explain myself? Your objection to my post is purely based on your stubborn beliefs and sense of pride.

Hivemind, why if I was more literate why would I not be making this argument? That is like me saying you're too narrow minded to even contemplate the existence of something else which stretches far beyond your mundaine life. We all have mundaine lifes, so that is not an insult.

Can someone please explain to me how I am trolling? Why is a good old fashioned debate not acceptable? If I came on here, saying ''ateists suck'', u dont no wat ur takin bout?, then I would fully accept the tag as a 'troll''.

Can you people please tell me where you developed your non-belief? If it is from science books, well then your beliefs are about as credible as Santa Claus. Modern biology is simple nonsense, changed by scientists every time their wrong beliefs are unearthed.

Modern biology is simple nonsense, changed by scientists every time their wrong beliefs are unearthed.
    That is why it is not nonsense. The fact that religions do not change their teaching every time their wrong beliefs are unearthed is why they are.

"Ow! I hope medical science can help me!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9vmOdt1A78

Just another thing to add, God's creation is everywhere to see, just look at the Earths position. How is it that by coincidence, we just happen to be the right distance away from the sun? This is design, you must at least consider this.

I don't deny that the bible has been changed over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

How is Modern Biology nonsense when so many medical breakthroughs have been made? And how is Christianity not nonsense?

Textbooks are nonsense.
    Christianity? I'm sure you mean religion. Reasons why RELIGION is fact.
    1.Design of universe, things are so well tuned and so precise that life has evolved, this is not chance, something must have designed it.

Consider this
    The nuclear weak force is 1028 times the strength of gravity. Had the weak force been slightly weaker, all the hydrogen in the universe would have been turned to helium (making water impossible, for example). Leslie, page 24. Leslie got this information from P.C. W. Davies, 1980 (Other Worlds), pp. 176-177.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Just another thing to add, God's creation is everywhere to see, just look at the Earths position. How is it that by coincidence, we just happen to be the right distance away from the sun? This is design, you must at least consider this.
    And if the universe is so perfect that it necessitates a designer
    implies if God is so perfect, He must also require a designer.

Who designed him?

Well, there are billions and billions of planets in the universe, surely at least one(or a few) have to have ideal conditions for life. Otherwise it would be a bit illogical.

So I guess you could say we got lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Reasons why RELIGION is fact.
    Possibly the single most nonsensical sentence I have ever read. Kudos.

• Advertisement

Explain myself? Your objection to my post is purely based on your stubborn beliefs and sense of pride.
    My objection is to your outrageous claims that "science" is nonsense. The last time you flew in a plane - was that nonsense? Or that last internet post you made - I suppose science had nothing to do with that either?
    Consider if you would the other side of the coin. We are physiologically the way we are because of our proximity to the sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rudie-

If it is from science books, well then your beliefs are about as credible as Santa Claus.

ohhhhh no he didn't.

Modern biology is simple nonsense, changed by scientists every time their wrong beliefs are unearthed.

It sure aint simple =P

Textbooks are nonsense.
    How?
    Consider this
    The nuclear weak force is 1028 times the strength of gravity. Had the weak force been slightly weaker, all the hydrogen in the universe would have been turned to helium (making water impossible, for example). Leslie, page 24. Leslie got this information from P.C. W. Davies, 1980 (Other Worlds), pp. 176-177.
    Perhaps another type of life might have originated had the conditions been different, perhaps human life might have emerged on another planet.
    Christianity? I'm sure you mean religion. Reasons why RELIGION is fact.
    1.Design of universe, things are so well tuned and so precise that life has evolved, this is not chance, something must have designed it.
    Tim Robbins put it nicely:
    And if the universe is so perfect that it necessitates a designer
    implies if God is so perfect, He must also require a designer.

Who designed him?

Also, I did mean Christianity, most athiests probably don't have any problem with people believing in a God, it's adhering to the strict and bizarre rules in religions like Christianity that we have a problem with.

How is that nosensical? Because you are atheist that automatically means everything I say pro-religion is nonsensical. If you're going to get involved in this debate, then please give me some reasons to support your claim. Why is religion not fact. JK and the poster before him are the only two on here who have at least had something constructive to say. In response to your question, it is hard to explain, give me some time to word it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

How many stars do you think are in the universe?
    How many planets are there orbiting those stars?
    What is the probability of an earth like planet orbiting one of those stars?

There are around 10 billion (10,000,000,000, thats a lot of zeros and a conservative estimate) in the average galaxy. It is estimated that there is at least 250 billion galaxies observable from earth.*

Even if you take the most conservative figures for planet formation and evolution of life you end up with astounding numbers for the possibility of life on other planets.

*This is the Hubble ultra deep field. It was taken by the Hubble telescope of a patch of empty space the size of a pea.
    large.jpg
    This patch alone contained tens of thousands of galaxies.

So JK, the muslim religion is not strict and bizarre?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Because if weren't the 'right' distance from the sun, we wouldn't be here to make that observation in the first place. Simple as that. Not necessarily design at all, just pure luck. And before you say that's too much luck to ask for, in a vast universe with countless billions of stars, it stands to reason that some of those stars will have planets in the so-called 'goldilocks' zone where life (or at least life as we know it) is considered possible. Not that mysterious at all really.

And I'd love to see your 'evidence' as to how evolution has been disproved. No doubt you'll start quoting from answersingenesis or some such fountain of knowledge.

So JK, the muslim religion is not strict and bizarre?
    Not the issue at hand! Move on please!
    Consider this:
    Hang on - I thought science books were as credible as Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

how can you just 100% say that there is no God or creator.

Hi, estebancambias again!

As many the atheist tells you (and mathematician), the probability of there being a God(s) is the same as if a storm passing over a junk yard will build a perfect 747. There is a great quote out there but I'm not sure who said it but, "Nothing is impossible, just improbable"

Also by your logic God would have to have been made by something else...another creator, and thus the cycle goes on.

• Advertisement

Modern science books. People like Einstein made sense. Actually Einstein's theory of relativity can be used to explain who created God. I know he was a non-believer though.

Hey, and that is a good quote.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement