Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Affairs Yellow Card Appeal

Options
  • 16-10-2020 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I received a yellow card for the post below:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114046828&postcount=2722

The Moderator should not have imposed a Yellow Card:
    1 Brian Cowen is a public figure
    2 Brian Cowen (when he wasn't brain damaged) would have appreciated this joke.
    3 The joke is clearly indicated by way of a selfie.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi Marieholmfan,

I will look into this for you.

As per the graphic, can you please confirm that you have discussed this with the mod in question? If so, please either forward the PM's to me or post them here as per your preference.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Thanks Ancapailldorcha -- I appreciate your hard work on this.
    I have indeed contacted the mod in question:

Apologies the formatting is lost:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=16256919

Dear marieholmfan,

You have been warned for being uncivil.

Typically, this means that you are posting in a needlessly aggressive or confrontational manner being disruptive on the forum or causing stress for the other members. We don't want that here.

For more information please refer to the Boards.ie FAQ.

Beasty

Moderator Note

do not post in this thread again

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marieholmfan View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
    That's the rules we cant risk damaging the Peace Process
    Brian is still the smarter Cowen brother.

And he's in a permanent vegetative state!!!!l

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi Marieholmfan,

Thanks for that. I can only see the initial PM with the warning. I cannot see the exchange between you and the moderator. Can you please post that here or forward it to me by PM please. The link does not work.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, as I was the mod issuing the card I am not going to close this thread at this time. If you wish to pursue this appeal please respond to the CMod request, as it is some time since they made it and the thread will be closed if you do not do so over the next few days

Beasty wrote: »
    OP, as I was the mod issuing the card I am not going to close this thread at this time. If you wish to pursue this appeal please respond to the CMod request, as it is some time since they made it and the thread will be closed if you do not do so over the next few days

Thanks for the heads up:

The exchange is as below:

The link to the hilarious post in question is :
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114047014&postcount=2729

I have copied it below but it looks weird.

Originally Posted by marieholmfan viewpost.gif
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BonnieSituation viewpost.gif
    Lord knows I'm no fan of the Cowens' or any FFer but that's crass. Unacceptable.

Almost something Brian Cowen would have said.

When he could speak

• Advertisement

I then messaged beasty who was high handed and dismissive to say the least. It's at the bottom of the message.

I guess my main point would be that Brian Cowen would have made such a joke himself (when he could speak) of course only about a political opponent or someone he disliked.

The idea of Cowen being some sort of sacred cow who can't be mocked just because his life has become a little harder is ridiculous.

I should be able to say anything about a politician as long as it can't get the owners of boards sued.

Anyone who says their feelings were hurt by the joke is a liar.

Keep your sick jokes to yourself

A smiley does not make it any less tasteless

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marieholmfan
    Hi Beasty - the message in question is a joke and I indicated this by use of a smiley face.

Hi,

Can you forward the PM's to me? You should be able to copy and paste the text here but if that does not work then you can just forward them.

H. H. Asquith

Hi Marieholmfan,

I've had a chance to look into this for you.

To be honest, you have made no attempt to actually resolve this with the moderator in your PM's. 

Additionally, comments such as the below suggest you're looking for a reaction:
    Anyone who says their feelings were hurt by the joke is a liar.

It's one thing to mock or criticise a politician. It's quite another to ridicule them in such a vitriolic manner for having a stroke.

I would advise you against posting like this in the Current Affairs forum in future. I am upholding the warning here.

Please let me know if you would like to request an admin review.

H. H. Asquith

Hi ancapailldorcha,
    Yes I would like an admin review.

It's unclear to me what you mean by 'resolve with an admin' in your remarks below. I informed Beasty that it was a joke.

My comments in this discussion are not relevant to ay attempt to resolve this matter with Beasty.

The idea that because he has had a stroke Brian Cowen should be immune from mockery and vitriol is risible.

Hi Marieholmfan,

I've had a chance to look into this for you.

To be honest, you have made no attempt to actually resolve this with the moderator in your PM's.

Additionally, comments such as the below suggest you're looking for a reaction:

It's one thing to mock or criticise a politician. It's quite another to ridicule them in such a vitriolic manner for having a stroke.

I would advise you against posting like this in the Current Affairs forum in future. I am upholding the warning here.

Please let me know if you would like to request an admin review.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I will review this, if that's ok.

• Advertisement

Hi Hullaballoo

Of course it's OK.

Thanks

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'll preface all of this by saying I have a very dark sense of humour and have found myself in trouble socially at times because of it.

I can see how it would be a fitting comment for Nein 11, although I dispute whether even there it could be described as funny.

Both the posts in that thread that were carded crossed the line of what is acceptable by any standards of civility for the vast majority of forums on the site.

Frankly you're lucky to get away with a yellow card here. I think it is quite even handed on the part of the moderator.

I'm upholding this. I will mark this resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement