Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Amp Fuse For Standard 3-pin Plug?

Options
  • 08-08-2020 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi,

What fuse should be in a standard 3-pin plug. I want to buy some and I just looked at 2 of my existing ones and one (kettle) is 13amp and the other (table lamp) is 3 amp.

Is there a general rule?

One of the plugs will be for a mini guitar amplifier, and the other will be for a small TV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

It depends on what it is connected to. As a general rule, if something creating heat is connected, like a kettle, a heater, hairdryer, then "the load" will be high. Accordingly 13Amp is required.

If it is a lighter load, then 3 Amp fuse is required. what are you planning on connecting it to? Does it say what the power of it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks Bikerman2019

One of the plugs will be for a mini guitar amplifier, and the other will be for a small TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Don't they already have plug tops fitted?

At a guess I expect the 3A fuse would be okay for both the amp and the tv, but obviously I don't have specs for either.

http://electrical-pat-testing.net/choosing-correct-plug-fuse/#:~:text=In%20simple%20terms%2C%20a%203A,sure%20the%20fuse%20is%20suitable.

"The following points offer a general ‘rule of thumb’:

A 3A fuse is the safest type of fuse to use, as that gives the greatest level of safety; it only takes the current to surpass 3 amps before the fuse blows
    In older appliances different types of fuses, such as 5A, 7A and 10A, may be found. If the appliance has a rating less than 700W, then these fuses should be replaced by a 3A fuse. A 5A fuse is safe for appliances rated less than 1,200W"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

The standard plug comes with a 13A fuse. When buying the plugs buy a packet of mixed fuses.
    Then follow advice in the previous post.

Advertisement