Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old House rewired..electrican wants smart meter installed?

Options
  • 06-08-2020 9:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My sister has gotten her old house rewired its all done except fuse box it was delayed over Covid...the power is off electrican had too he got a RECI check..but he doesnt seem keen to go saying get the meter moved outside and a new smart meter while the work is still going on
    Can he just connect with a new meter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

sasta le wrote: »
    Hi
    My sister has gotten her old house rewired its all done except fuse box it was delayed over Covid...the power is off electrican had too he got a RECI check..but he doesnt seem keen to go saying get the meter moved outside and a new smart meter while the work is still going on
    Can he just connect with a new meter?

ESB will need a cert before they reconnect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

The power wasnt disconnected the owners selling it kept power on...he started the rewire and the the electrican himself disconected the power not the ESB cause i was using a socket up until then
    He said then RECI did a spot check so he had to disconnect the power

In that case, once the meter is relocated, your electrician will run a cable to the new meter and connect to it. Should be no issues.

But as stands can he just work away with the current meter?
    Its delaying my Sister and other work...plus the ESB charge for meter relocation and new smart meter
    Thanks for helping

But as stands can he just work away with the current meter?
    Its delaying my Sister and other work...plus the ESB charge for meter relocation and new smart meter
    Thanks for helping

Yes, the current meter can be used until the new one is installed. There is no reason why it can't be used.

• Advertisement

Any reason the electrican is pushing for new smart meter and relocation to outside?Currently in old back kitchen

Any reason the electrican is pushing for new smart meter and relocation to outside?Currently in old back kitchen

Current specification requires meter to be located outside. However, in your sisters case it is an existing installation, so you shouldn't have to move it, unless you want to.

She just wants to get in...and also doesnt want to fork out to have to moved outside

She just wants to get in...and also doesnt want to fork out to have to moved outside

Tell your electrician that you want to keep existing meter. There is no requirement to move it. Maybe it is easier for the electrician if it is moved and that is why he is insisting. ESB are rolling out smart meters on a phased basis. They will install one in the same location as the existing one when the time comes.

• Advertisement

Thanks i will talk to her tomorrow
    Would the fact its a full rewire with all new recs and wired smoke alarms be a factor?

Thanks i will talk to her tomorrow
    Would the fact its a full rewire with all new recs and wired smoke alarms be a factor?

I don't think so. She might have to get ESB to upgrade their incoming wires, depending on what size they are. New installations all use 16mm2 cable.

Actually there was something mentioned about 16mm cable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

This should have been discussed the rec long before now
    Perhaps the Reci inspection Highlighted some issues
    It’s unusual for Reci to inspect an installation without a distribution board as they’d prefer some test results completed by the rec in order to verify results.
    Was moving the meter position an issue or discussed before this Reci inspection.

Advertisement