Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Crested - teeth

Options
  • 02-03-2017 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a Chinese Crested dog, she is roughly 11 (in human years :) ) Over the last year she has started to loose her teeth, another one is on it's way out now.
    We made some changes to her diet when the first tooth fell out, moved her from dry nuggets to soft squishy nuggets - wet food never agreed with her, it ran through her (sorry if TMI) I have started soaking the soft nuggets to make them softer for her, hopefully this will help.
    I know Chinese Crested dogs are prone to dental problems, is there anything else I could do or should be doing?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: Thread moved from Zoology forum - might be more likely to get an answer here. Note the local charter applies!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Has your vet advised you on any aspect of this OP? I'm guessing that your dog has had dental treatment, such as extractions and cleaning/polishing whilst the extractions were being done?
    Have you tried any products like Plaque-Off or similar?
    When you say wet food, what have you tried (brands)?
    They're lovely dogs, you don't see too many of them about the place!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RedBullBabe

Hi guys,

I have a Chinese Crested dog, she is roughly 11 (in human years :) ) Over the last year she has started to loose her teeth, another one is on it's way out now.
    We made some changes to her diet when the first tooth fell out, moved her from dry nuggets to soft squishy nuggets - wet food never agreed with her, it ran through her (sorry if TMI) I have started soaking the soft nuggets to make them softer for her, hopefully this will help.
    I know Chinese Crested dogs are prone to dental problems, is there anything else I could do or should be doing?

Have you tried just wetting the dry food she used to be on. Just boil a kettle and add the water that way, then let it cool before serving. That's if she never had toilet problems with the previous food. Or add some warm goats milk. Wait until all the liquid has been soaked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Hi guys,

Something to chew on, bone or such like would have helped if started earlier. Not sure it would make much difference now though.

Advertisement