Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photosensitization

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

I’d have good hope for her now, 2nd night at grass and was stood up at gate at 6.30 am with calf sucking her, great to see the big white froth around calf’s mouth ! Has to be sore on her but she some warrior to let her suck

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bosallagh

Had a cow took it about 2 months ago black angusshe swollen up round bearing and took a heatstroke no other symptoms in house since could I let her out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

bosallagh wrote: »
    Had a cow took it about 2 months ago black angusshe swollen up round bearing and took a heatstroke no other symptoms in house since could I let her out again?

Inever had to leave them in longer than four or five days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

bosallagh wrote: »
    TBH I've never heard of it with Angus cattle. If she is OK now then I'd let her out and keep an eye on her. I don't think the upcoming weather is going to cause a problem as it's all rain with showers in between :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bosallagh

Yea didn't think an Angus would take it tried her out a few weeks later on a wet dull day she grazed for 40 minutes then headed towards the hedge was thinking of putting her out near the yard keeping an eye on her that the sunlight wasn't annoying her and putting her back in the house if needs be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

Put a friesan heifer calf into shed yesterday with same problem. White patches on her shoulder with hair loss. Very agitated and scoured. Vet gave me meds to get her going again. Can't find any offending plants she could have eaten. Any idea how long between eating a poisonous plant before symptoms show?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

High uv Ray warning for this area, all of this week. Imo it causes more problems than eating weeds.

Also people urged to use strong factor sun tan lotion or cover up when out of doors.

Stopped letting calf suck again, i tied her legs this am and lathered cheno unction into The teats? Any other better product I should be putting on them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Have an old Simmental cow with it. She's been hiding in a shed over the last week and only coming out at night to graze. She aborted too unfortunately so her fate is sealed now and shes for the Burger King

The Sun has been very strong here over the last few weeks and even though its been raining a lot, when its out its very strong and you'd get sunburn yourself if you were out in it.

Have an old Simmental cow with it. She's been hiding in a shed over the last week and only coming out at night to graze. She aborted too unfortunately so her fate is sealed now and shes for the Burger King

The Sun has been very strong here over the last few weeks and even though its been raining a lot, when its out its very strong and you'd get sunburn yourself if you were out in it.

Sorry to hear that , my one was scanned in calf but not rechecked her since.

Could be same outcome , she lost lumps of hair behind ears and all the way out on the ear itself , cheno unction was the only job for pink bits , Cow is a solid red with a black snout so AA as discussed above could well get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I brought in the bull calves (Jan/Feb born) to treat a few with pink eye last week. I noticed that two had signs of photosensitisation with that scaly hard skin along their backs and another one with it on his off side shoulder. I brought them to our Vet and she gave them a few IV injections. She gave me two shots of Dexameth to give to them. I bring them in every day and smothered the areas with sudocrem. Fingers crossed they are doing well and the scaly skin is receding but the weather here has been dull/overcast in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    I brought in the bull calves (Jan/Feb born) to treat a few with pink eye last week. I noticed that two had signs of photosensitisation with that scaly hard skin along their backs and another one with it on his off side shoulder. I brought them to our Vet and she gave them a few IV injections. She gave me two shots of Dexameth to give to them. I bring them in every day and smothered the areas with sudocrem. Fingers crossed they are doing well and the scaly skin is receding but the weather here has been dull/overcast in the last few days.

Steroid injection such as dexameth works well here with the sheep, luckily nothing is in lamb when they are prone to photosensitisation, it must be a nightmare to cure without it

sonnybill wrote: »
    I’d have good hope for her now, 2nd night at grass and was stood up at gate at 6.30 am with calf sucking her, great to see the big white froth around calf’s mouth ! Has to be sore on her but she some warrior to let her suck

Milk sampled my cows yesterday and she maintained the pregnancy throughout all that ! She has two bald ears but she is back in milk and rearing her calf too!

Advertisement