Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pier-jumping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Another dopey question: how close to high tide can you jump off things into water? Like say if I chose the Forty Foot. Is it only in the, say, hour before and after that it would be okay? Or do I have more time than that?

No you can jump in to the forty foot from level with the water at low tide but if you want to jump off the rocks from a little bit of height you’d probably want a couple of hours before or after high tide. If it’s neap tide you’d have more but you wouldn’t want to over think it. Go out on a nice day and you’ll soon see what people are at. Not sure if your male or female but I used to go out with a bunch of lads and you always felt real manly until from around the rocks a bunch of quite old women would come swimming, a pal used to call them the monkstown menopausal society. They are out all the time and are proper tough women.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Not a pier but the Forty Foot at Sandy Cove would be a good place to go for a jump.

There is a like stump off Balscadden in Howth think it's called Cat Rock people jump off it, fairly high mind you. Looks like great crack.

Another dopey question: how close to high tide can you jump off things into water? Like say if I chose the Forty Foot. Is it only in the, say, hour before and after that it would be okay? Or do I have more time than that?

Might be best sussing places out at low tide so you can get an idea of rocks under as some can come quite close even at high tide. (I know from loosing fishing gear!)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭WildWater

If you are coming a bit further than Loughrea then the Blackrock tower in Salthill is a great spot around high tide. Especially nice if it on a high spring tide. Week running into Friday the 21st will be spring tides.

Really sorry to hear about your diagnosis but love your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

HOWTH:
    No other info other than what I found at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2xb3w2_ok

• Advertisement

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    HOWTH:
    No other info other than what I found at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2xb3w2_ok

That's Balscadden at the start with the diving board. Walk/Drive to the car park up there and there is a (fairly sketchy) route down to it to the left of the entrance to the cliff walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    That's Balscadden at the start with the diving board. Walk/Drive to the car park up there and there is a (fairly sketchy) route down to it to the left of the entrance to the cliff walk.

Got a Google map link?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's a hoot. There's a fairly big one here near Cork and I'm trying to get someone to go with me to it. Going to do it on my own if I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

If you find a decent height to bomb in from, a word of advice: either have your arms extended above your head as you go in feet first, or else have them down by your sides as you hit the water. On no account have them out wide like some magnificent albatross.

The bruising is epic. And the shame is epicer. Trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Redderneck wrote: »
    If you find a decent height to bomb in from, a word of advice: either have your arms extended above your head as you go in feet first, or else have them down by your sides as you hit the water. On no account have them out wide like some magnificent albatross.

The bruising is epic. And the shame is epicer. Trust me.

Did that jumping into ‘The Wormhole’ on Inis Mór. Some sting.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Cahore Pier, Co. Wexford is a great spot. Port Oriel (Clogherhead Harbour), Co. Louth is also a nice spot to do it, with a bonus of multiple seals in with you at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

fixXxer wrote: »
    Got a Google map link?
    It's in the comments for that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Cahore or the north pier in Wicklow town,

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

It’ll be cold, won’t it? I should prepare for coldness, right?

If you're going it alone and haven't done this before, I would at least make sure there are other people around. Even this time a year, if you're not used to it, you can get an initial blast of cold water shock, only lasts a few seconds but it can take your breath away and you could find yourself gasping for air, easy to take on water and get into trouble, for someone that doesn't expect it. Once you get over that, it'll be grand and very enjoyable.

You often see elderly people go into the shallows and splash water over themselves before jumping off the deep end, that helps take out the cold water shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Colimore harbour is a good bet for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Vico but it's not a big jump

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know you said Dublin or maybe Meath but Westmeath has Lough Owel with a great pier to jump off. It's high enough to give you a rush but not outrageous. It's right on the N4 too and many times I've stopped on my way out/bac from the West to have a quick plunge.

12049064754_0e366e84f0_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If you find yourself near Loughrea, head straight for the safest place in Ireland to do this, at the Blue Flag bathing place where there are no tides or currents, two piers and a sandy bottom. And it's fully life-guarded, got a great big car park, a shelter for dressing, and best of all, the water is warmer than most of the sea.Worth treating yourself to a night near Loughrea to do this, and if going by public transport it's a pleasant lakeside walk from town.

+1

Very safe place to jump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Misread thread title.

Thought it was about jumping Piers Morgan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Failure. We chose Greystones because it was the least busy place to go today and the choppiness of the sea scared me. My bones are crappy so I’m not that strong. We took a dip at beach level and a wave completely knocked me over and I struggled to stand up again. I was always brought up to respect the water and if something doesn’t feel right, don’t do it. And I didn’t handle the cold water that well.

Also, my wedding ring belongs to the sea now.

But I’m glad we tried. We’re setting our sights on the lake in Loughrea next weekend. I think lake might be better than sea. From experience, lakes warm up a bit better over the summer. Not by much but enough to take the chill out. Today was kind of a fact-finding mission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Misread thread title.

Thought it was about jumping Piers Morgan.

15009124-7160611-image-m-28_1560986322354.jpg

MUCH better second attempt. Lough Rea. The water was very pleasant unlike the sea. It was cold at first but once I started moving around in it and warming up, it was beautiful. I was afraid the whole thing would just be about endurance but I loved it. I jumped in a few times too. It was much easier to handle than the sea. In the ocean, I couldn’t even get moving to warm up as the waves were too strong. The lake was also just that little bit warmer.

Thanks for all the tips! I feel like I accomplished something here.

392605-CE-1428-497-B-B12-A-94-B792494270.jpg?dl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Fair play to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Fair play, that sort of swimming always feels like you’ve done something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭florawest

MUCH better second attempt. Lough Rea. The water was very pleasant unlike the sea. It was cold at first but once I started moving around in it and warming up, it was beautiful. I was afraid the whole thing would just be about endurance but I loved it. I jumped in a few times too. It was much easier to handle than the sea. In the ocean, I couldn’t even get moving to warm up as the waves were too strong. The lake was also just that little bit warmer.

Thanks for all the tips! I feel like I accomplished something here.

392605-CE-1428-497-B-B12-A-94-B792494270.jpg?dl=1

Well done and sending you virtual hugs and prayers, you can be very proud of your achievement.🥇🎉

Fair play to you :)
    salmocab wrote: »
    Fair play, that sort of swimming always feels like you’ve done something good.
    florawest wrote: »
    Well done and sending you virtual hugs and prayers, you can be very proud of your achievement.����

Thanks! :) Now I did discover how very weak my bones are and how depleted my muscles are. I was doing the front crawl and getting nowhere. Absolutely nowhere. In a calm lake. I also hurt my knee just from jumping in. Totally worth it but it made me realise how easily I could into difficulties in choppier lakes or the sea.

I would recommend this to anyone who is feeling hemmed in and stuck in a rut due to the lockdown. It was invigorating. There’s still time left this year!

I also realised that I really don’t like sand and not having to deal with it was very nice indeed. :P AND I got to witness the sight of a lad smoking a cigarette whilst stomach deep in water. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Absolute legend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Glad to hear you made it in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Good finish to this quest! Could be the start of something.

I'm fond of the sea, but it is fresh enough, especially the east coast. And if it can't be the sea, then Loughrea lake is a damn fine one. Other county councils should take note. The facilites are simple but effective. I happened to be in there myself the previous evening. It was last day of my hols in which I daytripped to beaches from Kerry to Derry. Lake was balmier. Stunning warm evening with thunder in the background. Hardly felt like Ireland at all.

All in all, we are blessed in Ireland with outdoor swimming options if you are willing to put some fuel in the car, short as our season may be. Is there any county without its good swim spots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

:P AND I got to witness the sight of a lad smoking a cigarette whilst stomach deep in water. :D

This guy?
    SouthernComfort_BeachCommercial_YouTube.jpg?w=980&q=75

Advertisement