Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Finished S3 of Glitch last night. A random choice while looking for something 2 weeks ago. Worth a go if you like paranormal style tv. (nothing scary)

https://www.netflix.com/title/80108495

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Having been to that neighbourhood, It is total *hitsville. A little bit further south in N'Dranghetta territory there is huge mafia presence in every little town. Once south of Rome Italy is total Mafia country. Having lived down there, I can attest that the movies don't dramatise the reality in my opinion.

I can remember once instance where a new mayor was elected in a town and in his victory speech he spoke about how the mafia would no longer be tolerated in the town, the next day he was found shot dead in the square.

So much drugs come in through Italy, my feeling is things are worse then depicted in the likes of Gomorrah. The N'Dranghetta's making over 100billion a year in revenue. Probably half of Irelands GDP in 2020

Cheers. Yeah in fairness that comment of mine was pretty dumb. I have no idea what it’s like in Naples. I know about it’s history with mafia and all, and just thought it couldn’t be as vicious as depicted in the series especially season 2. I know them flats have since been demolished but that alone doesn’t do much to fight its organised crime. Will visit that city some day regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

peteeeed wrote: »
    The Rain season 3 (is this worth watching ?)
    Six years after a rain-borne virus wipes out most of Scandinavia's population, two siblings join a band of young survivors seeking safety -- and answers.

Haven't watched it, but first question I have is why hasn't any of the rest of the world not helped, or is it a worldwide issue but this just focuses on Scandinavia?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

GBX wrote: »
    Finished S3 of Glitch last night. A random choice while looking for something 2 weeks ago. Worth a go if you like paranormal style tv. (nothing scary)

https://www.netflix.com/title/80108495

I've mentioned Glitch in here before and I thought it was an excellent mind bender of a show - same as yourself I stumbled on it randomly and really enjoyed it

Cheers. Yeah in fairness that comment of mine was pretty dumb. I have no idea what it’s like in Naples. I know about it’s history with mafia and all, and just thought it couldn’t be as vicious as depicted in the series especially season 2. I know them flats have since been demolished but that alone doesn’t do much to fight its organised crime. Will visit that city some day regardless.

Worth going to visit just for the food.

Great article this on those flats.
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/may/17/goodbye-to-gomorrah-the-end-of-italys-most-notorious-housing-estate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Having been to that neighbourhood, It is total *hitsville. A little bit further south in N'Dranghetta territory there is huge mafia presence in every little town. Once south of Rome Italy is total Mafia country. Having lived down there, I can attest that the movies don't dramatise the reality in my opinion.

I can remember once instance where a new mayor was elected in a town and in his victory speech he spoke about how the mafia would no longer be tolerated in the town, the next day he was found shot dead in the square.

So much drugs come in through Italy, my feeling is things are worse then depicted in the likes of Gomorrah. The N'Dranghetta's making over 100billion a year in revenue. Probably half of Irelands GDP in 2020

I have been to Naples myself, stop off on a cruise to see Pompeii. Left the port with my other half and after about 5 minutes didn't feel safe at all (I have been to a lot of citys worldwide, never in my life did I ever feel threatened like I did in Naples). This was the city. Could only imagine what the outer areas are like.

Ross Kemp visited the flat complexes on one of his shows. Exactly the way its depicted in Gomorrah. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same area as per the TV show. No electricity in the buildings people were living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I am watching world's most wanted.....decent first episode...each one focuses on a different person

• Registered Users Posts: 31,974 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Homelander wrote: »
    Danger Close is a great war movie. Vietnam from the Australian/NZ perspective.

The Rain is watchable but pretty terrible. Season 1 was OK, but Season 2 is like a post apocalyptic Eastenders.
    I enjoyed season 1 but yeah have up after a few episodes of season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Searching wasn’t a bad aul watch at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Berlin, Berlin: Lolle on the Run
    In this cinematic sequel to the hit TV series, Lolle has moved on from Sven and is about to marry her friend Hart - until Sven disrupts her plans.

Upgrade
    Leigh Whannell’s inventive body horror fuses old-school revenge with modern tech paranoia.

Selling Sunset: Season 3
    Netflix’s hit reality series returns to continue following the drama at The Oppenheim Group, where elite real estate brokers sell the luxurious life to affluent buyers.

Wizards: Tales of Arcadia
    Characters from Trollhunters and 3 Below combine for the final chapter in Guillermo del Toro’s Tales of Arcadia trilogy, which sees conflict brewing between the human, troll and magical worlds.

High Seas: Season 3
    Spain’s all-at-sea thriller returns for a third voyage, as luxury transatlantic ship Bárbara de Braganza heads from Argentina to Mexico, only for more strange goings-on to surface, leaving the Villanueva sisters to once again solve what’s happening – this time, involving a scientist with a deadly secret.

The New Legends of Monkey: Season 2
    A valiant girl liberates the Monkey King — a god long trapped in stone — in a quest to find seven sacred scrolls and save the world from evil.

The Magic School Bus Rides Again: Kids in Space
    The Magic School Bus kids blast into space and onto the International Space Station, only to find themselves on the run from a giant tardigrade.

Sing On! Germany Season 1
    In this karaoke competition hosted by Palina Rojinski, contestants must hit the right note for a chance to win up to 30,000 euros

Tiny Creatures Season 1
    Little animals embark on big adventures across the U.S. in a dramatic nature series that explores their hidden worlds and epic survival stories.

Work It
    A brilliant but clumsy high school senior vows to get into her late father's alma mater by transforming herself and a misfit squad into dance champions.

Action Point
    A daredevil stuntman builds a second-rate amusement park in New Jersey and fights to keep it open when a greedy developer arrives on the scene.

Superfly
    In this remake of the 1972 film, a debonair hustler tries to settle the score with a rival crew before retiring the street game for good.

Nailed It! Mexico Season 2
    The fun, fondant and hilarious cake fails head to Mexico, where very amateur bakers compete to re-create elaborate sweet treats for a cash prize.

Stars in the Sky: A Hunting Story
    This documentary follows a group of hunters as they grapple with the complexities, controversies, and contradictions of pursuing animals in the wild

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

Berlin, Berlin: Lolle on the Run Season 1
    In this cinematic sequel to the hit TV series, Lolle has moved on from Sven and is about to marry her friend Hart - until Sven disrupts her plans.

Upgrade
    Leigh Whannell’s inventive body horror fuses old-school revenge with modern tech paranoia.

Selling Sunset: Season 3 – 7th August
    Netflix’s hit reality series returns to continue following the drama at The Oppenheim Group, where elite real estate brokers sell the luxurious life to affluent buyers.

Wizards: Tales of Arcadia
    Characters from Trollhunters and 3 Below combine for the final chapter in Guillermo del Toro’s Tales of Arcadia trilogy, which sees conflict brewing between the human, troll and magical worlds.

High Seas: Season 3
    Spain’s all-at-sea thriller returns for a third voyage, as luxury transatlantic ship Bárbara de Braganza heads from Argentina to Mexico, only for more strange goings-on to surface, leaving the Villanueva sisters to once again solve what’s happening – this time, involving a scientist with a deadly secret.

The New Legends of Monkey: Season 2 – 7th August
    A valiant girl liberates the Monkey King — a god long trapped in stone — in a quest to find seven sacred scrolls and save the world from evil.

The Magic School Bus Rides Again: Kids in Space
    The Magic School Bus kids blast into space and onto the International Space Station, only to find themselves on the run from a giant tardigrade.

Sing On! Germany Season 1
    In this karaoke competition hosted by Palina Rojinski, contestants must hit the right note for a chance to win up to 30,000 euros

Tiny Creatures Season 1
    Little animals embark on big adventures across the U.S. in a dramatic nature series that explores their hidden worlds and epic survival stories.

Work It
    A brilliant but clumsy high school senior vows to get into her late father's alma mater by transforming herself and a misfit squad into dance champions.

Action Point
    A daredevil stuntman builds a second-rate amusement park in New Jersey and fights to keep it open when a greedy developer arrives on the scene.

Stars in the Sky: A Hunting Story
    This documentary follows a group of hunters as they grapple with the complexities, controversies, and contradictions of pursuing animals in the wild

added

Upgrade is well worth a watch;

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6499752/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There are a fair few folk on here who rated Upgrade, but I was quite disappointed by it - there are some nice ideas in it and some good action, but the combination of a fairly rote script (the characters are 2-D at best, and the ideas on the SF side are nothing particularly new, nor is the presentation) and an actor I don't much rate (Logan Marshall Green) made for a bit of a let-down, especially after the positive chat in its thread, at least in the context of going out of my way to buy it. I might not have minded so much if I'd just caught it on Netflix, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Fysh wrote: »
    There are a fair few folk on here who rated Upgrade, but I was quite disappointed by it - there are some nice ideas in it and some good action, but the combination of a fairly rote script (the characters are 2-D at best, and the ideas on the SF side are nothing particularly new, nor is the presentation) and an actor I don't much rate (Logan Marshall Green) made for a bit of a let-down, especially after the positive chat in its thread, at least in the context of going out of my way to buy it. I might not have minded so much if I'd just caught it on Netflix, mind you.
    + 1.
    Watched it ages ago, due to decent reviews, but couldn't understand the buzz for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I thought it was pretty original, solid, and enjoyable. Definitely worth a watch on Netflix!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah I thought Upgrade was deadly as well. I actually saw it in the cinema. While I would agree it's not very original, and is more of an homage to a range of different films it clearly draws inspiration from, it's done very well.

A couple of piers Morgan serial killer docs ( I’m saying he’s a serial killer just a massive tw@t
    The Governor
    When sudden tragedy forces a deputy to step into the role of governor, she faces grueling political and personal tests in order to lead her state

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Crocodile Dundee
    Totally cheese but still stands the test of time.
    the last scene is epic. It f your not fist pumpBig the ceiling,crying or both at the end scene you’re dead inside DEAD I tells ya.
    Also some amount of quotes go down in history.
    The music is us unreal

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Crocodile Dundee
    Totally cheese but still stands the test of time.
    the last scene is epic. It f your not fist pumpBig the ceiling,crying or both at the end scene you’re dead inside DEAD I tells ya.
    Also some amount of quotes go down in history.
    The music is us unreal

Funnily enough I saw a trailer for a new one ‘ mr Dundee ‘

Jumanji (1995 )

Zoo seasons 1-3
    When animal species all over the world begin attacking humans, controversial zoologist Jackson Oz tries to discover the cause of the sudden change.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Funnily enough I saw a trailer for a new one ‘ mr Dundee ‘

I think that's like a mockumentary or something about Paul Hogan

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think that's like a mockumentary or something about Paul Hogan

He looks about 150

• Registered Users Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

He looks about 150

Maybe people forget how old 80 is. He's now at average life expectancy for a man. I think he's probably entitled to look old, because he is, very.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Maybe people forget how old 80 is. He's now at average life expectancy for a man. I think he's probably entitled to look old, because he is, very.

If he knew he had an upcoming film role, he owed it to the fans to hit the testosterone and Botox injections... also maybe a visit to a Hollywood wig master ?

GAME ON: A Comedy Crossover Event( 4 Disney comedies)
    Worlds collide in this special event featuring familiar faces, surprise cameos and stories of spirited competition from four different comedy series.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 28,841 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think that's meant to be 4 Netflix comedies. Was wondering why they're showing Disney but then see the likes of Big Show

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

The Nightingale – 8.5/10

I absolutely loved Jennifer Kent’s first feature ‘The Babadook. I even own a replica of the pop-up book. I had extremely high expectations with her follow up feature. She did not let me down.

This reminded me a lot of The Revenant. Both set in the 1820’s. Both feature protagonists who are on a revenge mission. Both protagonists battle their way across rugged terrain and fight with the elements. Whilst there is no grizzly bear attack, there are several disgustingly grisly rape scenes.

It is certainly not one for the feint hearted as there are multiple, graphic rape scenes. Kent puts the you in the scene with them, by holding the image on the faces of the victims. Every moment of their agony is laid bare for you to absorb.

Whilst the cinematography cannot hold a candle to The Revenant, Kent’s direction and emphasis on character development, gave me a far stronger emotional investment in the characters.

It is perhaps overly ambitious of Kent to tackle themes of rape, misogyny, colonialism and slavery all in one narrative, but she succeeds for the most part. Some moments are a little on the nose; I started to work out that the characters were archetypes who represented their native countries;

“Are you Ireland?”

“Yes, I am Ireland”

There was no need for it to be spelled out so blatantly. I also felt that more could have been done to make the journey through the Tasmanian wilderness seem more dangerous. The ending is a little bit muddled and lacking in structure, but the first 2 hours are incredibly strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Borgen finally appearing in the coming soon list, September 1st. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Have Netflix reverted to their pre-covid streaming speed? Everything suddenly went clearer tonight

(Or my eye muscles have spontaneously, and surprisingly, gotten stronger)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Have Netflix reverted to their pre-covid streaming speed? Everything suddenly went clearer tonight

(Or my eye muscles have spontaneously, and surprisingly, gotten stronger)

This is similar to when I’m getting my eyes examined and they are like “which is clearer 3 or 4. 3 or 4?” :D I’ve not noticed a difference anyway!

In other news, I just finished the fall! Great series!

• Advertisement

By the Sea
    Troubled by the state of their marriage, Vanessa and Roland visit a French seaside town, where they have a fateful encounter with a pair of newlyweds.

Rob Schneider: Asian Momma, Mexican Kids
    Former "Saturday Night Live" star Rob Schneider returns to the stage and shares his take on life, love and dinosaur dreams in this stand-up special.

Added

Advertisement