Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to purchase foreign currency

Options
  • 06-08-2020 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, I am looking to take advantage of good exchange rates on Turkish Lira at the moment and purchase to use at a later date. Whats the best way to do this - Revolut, An Post Currency card, through the bank??

We have family in Turkey that we visit every year and we are in the process of building a house there - not just buying because the exchange rate is good!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I just use my local credit union usually. Nice to support them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

kerrycan wrote: »
    Hi, I am looking to take advantage of good exchange rates on Turkish Lira at the moment and purchase to use at a later date. Whats the best way to do this - Revolut, An Post Currency card, through the bank??

We have family in Turkey that we visit every year and we are in the process of building a house there - not just buying because the exchange rate is good!

Thanks

Revolut are approximately 2% better than An Post....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

if you wanted to transfer TL (not purchase) call Transferwise or transfermate

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I never used it in Turkey but Revolut definitely gives the best exchange rate for all countries I travelled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kerrycan

Thanks for replies - with Revolut can I purchase TL and keep it in my account at the exchange rate at which I bought it?

I know you can with the an post currency card but I think I'm swaying more towards Revolut.
    I'd rather have it in an account than have cash lying around I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭SourSessions

kerrycan wrote:
    Thanks for replies - with Revolut can I purchase TL and keep it in my account at the exchange rate at which I bought it?

You can keep it in the amount you exchanged but obviously if you change it back it will be at the new days rate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

kerrycan wrote: »

I know you can with the an post currency card but I think I'm swaying more towards Revolut.
    I'd rather have it in an account than have cash lying around I think.

With Revolut you can just buy it and put it in your Turkish Lira vault. By far the best way to exchange money for your purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

With Revolut you can just buy it and put it in your Turkish Lira vault. By far the best way to exchange money for your purpose.
    If one has money in the vault, purchased something and didn't have money in the account, will Revolut pull from the vault,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

august12 wrote: »
    If one has money in the vault, purchased something and didn't have money in the account, will Revolut pull from the vault,

I think they stopped doing this.

Op, don't buy at weekends. They charge a higher cost as markets are closed.

Advertisement