Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam Calls

Options
  • 22-09-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Mods - move this if it should go somewhere else!

Over the last 3 days, i'm getting a ridiculous amount of what i am presuming are scam calls on my mobile!
    I answered the first one as i thought it was an irish mobile number but it was someone talking foreign so i hung up - since then, i've gotten calls from all these numbers:

+353863414208
    +353845630533
    +353823024281
    +353808473155
    +353816856866
    +353851526076

They each ring twice, and i keep rejecting the calls
    All the above have rang Friday, Monday and today so far.
    I'm with VF PAYG
    I'm blocking each number as they come in.

Is this happening to anyone else?
    Any suggestions (other than changing my number!!) on what to do??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

i've gotten calls from all these numbers:

+353863414208

Thats my number, Im a Nigerian prince trying to give away my millions but you hung up on me. But dont worry about it, I found someone else to give my fortune to.

I received a mobile call from a Dublin based number recently by a lad with a neutral accent:

Chancer: "Hello, we are ringing to check some details. Would you have a minute?"
    Me: "Hi, who are you ringing on behalf of and can you specify the nature of this call?"
    Chancer: "We are just ringing to check some details for our records..."
    Me: "I repeat, who are you ringing on behalf of..."
    Chancer: "If this is a bad time, I can call you back -"

Click.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I received a mobile call from a Dublin based number recently by a lad with a neutral accent:

Chancer: "Hello, we are ringing to check some details. Would you have a minute?"
    Me: "Hi, who are you ringing on behalf of and can you specify the nature of this call?"
    Chancer: "We are just ringing to check some details for our records..."
    Me: "I repeat, who are you ringing on behalf of..."
    Chancer: "If this is a bad time, I can call you back -"

Click.

The one i answered, +353 86 3414208, it was someone talking foreign hence why i hung up - no credit or anything was taken from my phone - all the others i haven't answered as i noticed the numbers were odd, 081 or 082 etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Even if it appears to come from an Irish number there is a technique where it might be coming from abroad but they trick the caller ID into showing an Irish number.

Comreg have a page on it here but its not very useful apart from saying some phones have the ability to block specified numbers.
    https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/mobile-phone/scam-calls/

Its not surprising its happening to people we give out our numbers for all sorts of stuff when filling out web forms. If you want a quote by email from a company you likely still have to give them your number as well or else the form wont send. Eventually those companies get hacked and suddenly large databases of Irish numbers are put up for sale to scammers on the dark web. If your number is on one of these dark web databases chances are it is going to be bought and used by scammers. If it gets really persistent Im not sure what can be done about it aside from changing number and being careful who you give it out to.

In the meantime buy a whistle and blow it down the line at any scammer. It wont stop them but it will be tremendous fun.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Even if it appears to come from an Irish number there is a technique where it might be coming from abroad but they trick the caller ID into showing an Irish number.

Comreg have a page on it here but its not very useful apart from saying some phones have the ability to block specified numbers.
    https://www.comreg.ie/consumer-information/mobile-phone/scam-calls/

Its not surprising its happening to people we give out our numbers for all sorts of stuff when filling out web forms. If you want a quote by email from a company you likely still have to give them your number as well or else the form wont send. Eventually those companies get hacked and suddenly large databases of Irish numbers are put up for sale to scammers on the dark web. If your number is on one of these dark web databases chances are it is going to be bought and used by scammers. If it gets really persistent Im not sure what can be done about it aside from changing number and being careful who you give it out to.

In the meantime buy a whistle and blow it down the line at any scammer. It wont stop them but it will be tremendous fun.

It's just annoying - hopefully they get bored soon enough (although i presume this is all done through computers somehow or other so not much chance of them getting bored!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I, personally, don’t answer calls from numbers I don’t recognise or “unknown” numbers.

If it’s important they can leave a message. If it’s someone I know they can text. Obviously, if I’m “expecting” a call from someone who’s number I don’t have, or a doctor’s office, I will answer.

The amount of time people waste on these nuisance calls, and “time burglars” is staggering. I’d have to be terminally bored before I started pandering to that sort of nonsense.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

They just want you to ring them back and then its a premium number. You get a bill of a fiver for every minute you are on.

Either that or all the library books you never returned across all them countries is catching up on you.

They just want you to ring them back and then its a premium number. You get a bill of a fiver for every minute you are on.

Either that or all the library books you never returned across all them countries is catching up on you.

:D:D:D

Advertisement