Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Christmas Songs that remind you of Christmas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I did work experience in a supermarket just before Christmas and it wasn’t something I enjoyed every evening when it was about going home time 2 become 1 used play. I loved it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭MFPM

'Put a little love in your heart' - Al Greene and Annie Lennox, it's linked to the Scrooged Movie but it isn't a Christmas song as such.

'Only You' by Yazoo as others have said simply because of The Office finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

DvB wrote: »
    One I never got was the frog chorus by Paul McCartney, not a Christmas song at all (unless I've missed something) but saw it played regularly the last few years on the TV christmas music channels.

It was released in November for the Christmas market. It's a song associated with Christmas but has nothing to do with Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was released in November for the Christmas market. It's a song associated with Christmas but has nothing to do with Christmas.

Rupert does look like he is permanently wearing a red Christmas jumper. Thats about it.

Rather bizarrely it is from a Rupert short movie released on the bill with Give My Regards to Broad Street:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_My_Regards_to_Broad_Street_(film)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,143 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have to be honest i never in the least associated it or still associate it with Christmas, despite it being used in an advert its got nothing christmassy shout it. But thats the beauty of Christmas and what different people associate with it, we all love it (well on here anyway) yet all have our own unique associations and traditions. Love it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

David Essex - A Winters Tale.

Only ever plays at Christmas but no mention of the holiday in the song. I remember getting it as a cassette tape in a selection box when I was younger, so it has double Christmas meaning to me :)

Batgurl wrote: »

Only ever plays at Christmas but no mention of the holiday in the song. I remember getting it as a cassette tape in a selection box when I was younger, so it has double Christmas meaning to me :)

I would definitely class it as a Christmas song. One of my favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Batgurl wrote: »

Omg I had that selection box too, think it was a square Mars one. I remember stupid details. The cassette was black with gold writing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 burgershack

The wish - Bruce Springsteen
    (Pittsburgh) A good man is hard to find - Bruce Springsteen

Though they both mention Christmas you would'nt class them as holiday songs.
    "The wish" is a love letter to his Mother and "Pittsburgh" is about a lonely widowed Mother

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Only you - the song from the office Christmas special. Can still remember the first time I saw that special - brilliant stuff

Keeping the dream alive by freiheit - first heard this on tubridys radio show last year - he described it as a christmassy atmosphere type song - if you don’t know this google it!

Winters tale - David Essex - always loved this and I associate it with late December early Jan more than Christmas itself - I think it was a Christmas number one though?

The power of love - Frankie goes Hollywood - the song is not overly christmassy but the video is

2000 miles by the pretenders - it’s not the Christmas build up until I hear this - usually in one of the big shopping centres in mid November - great song

And finally - one of the few pleasures of the busy period of work leading up to Christmas is to play driving home for Christmas by Chris rea on your way home!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Coldplay - Yellow

A friend of mine was very sick around Christmas time after eating yellow snow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Only you - the song from the office Christmas special. Can still remember the first time I saw that special - brilliant stuff
    Oh yes, I'm the same. The Christmas special of The Office was fantastic, and that was a great scene. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    Oh yes, I'm the same. The Christmas special of The Office was fantastic, and that was a great scene. :D

Same still vividly remember the scene, still gives me goosebumps. So well written.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Any opinions on Chris De Burgh's, A Spaceman Came Travelling?

I love it and its not Christmas without it but I'm not sure Main Stream Religion would agree with the premise of the story as told by Chris :)

PaulT21 wrote: »

I love it and its not Christmas without it but I'm not sure Main Stream Religion would agree with the premise of the story as told by Chris :)

It's a fantastic song. And a Christmas cracker. It is a bit of an odd topic for a Christmas song but that chorus guaranteed it success!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

My OH put it on when we were not long together and I thought "wtf is that, the lady in red guy has a Christmas song" . I love it now. It's a real belter. Also strangely brings back memories of Club 92 in leopardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Club 92 in leopardstown.

Between this and Call cards, having a full on retro morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,143 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My OH put it on when we were not long together and I thought "wtf is that, the lady in red guy has a Christmas song" . I love it now. It's a real belter. Also strangely brings back memories of Club 92 in leopardstown.

To be fair to Chris De Burgh his back catalogue before 'Lady in red' is actually quite good, I loved 'Spanish Train' when I heard it first & to this day still give it a listen when it comes up on my iTunes or suchlike.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    To be fair to Chris De Burgh his back catalogue before 'Lady in red' is actually quite good, I loved 'Spanish Train' when I heard it first & to this day still give it a losten when it comes up on my iTunes or suchlike.

Or who can forget 'Don't pay the ferryman......'

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

Borderline......about the absurdity of war..
    Chris De Burgh at his best from the early 80's ,
    One of Irelands most underrated singers.

• Advertisement

No idea he had any other songs, I just remember his kid hanging round with friends of friends when I was a teen.

No idea he had any other songs, I just remember his kid hanging round with friends of friends when I was a teen.

Miss World??

She turned out to be I believe. She was just a drunk teen at club 92 when I was there as a drunk teen. them were the days.

Anywho, I would have born to run as a random song that give s me a Christmas feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

I sometimes listen to random playlists on Spotify or Apple Music and the Harry Potter theme song came on over the weekend and it definitely reminded me of Christmas :)

I think because RTE always played the movies on Christmas Day so the sound just became synonymous with Christmas!

Oooooh Harry Potter Music definitely reminds me of Christmas. Firstly the films have Christmas in them (sometimes) and secondly years back Etihad ripped off the intro score for their background music on flights. I would fly home with them for Christmas and the tune would get me all excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

PaulT21 wrote: »

Brilliant song.

There was a dance remix of it out a few years ago that was decent. I think Chris de burg appeared on late late to promote it

• Registered Users Posts: 37,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

More or so to do with the bells from 1 min in

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭PaulT21

PTH2009 wrote: »

More or so to do with the bells from 1 min in

Not feeling it to be honest:confused: But thanks for the tune anyway:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Pipes of peace is a Christmas song to me but I don't think it is an actual Christmas song. It was released in December which is probably the association. I played it loud today and got away with it ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

“ I wish it could be Summer every day”.

Advertisement