Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

washing machines at petrol stations or supermarkets

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The petrol station next to my house has two of them. They seem to be very well used night or day. Walking home from the pub at 2 or 3 in the morning there would always be a car parked in front of the machines, driver sat with hands clamped on the steering wheel staring into the whirling drum. They seemed nearly hypnotised.

I lived in student flats years ago and we had a shared laundry room. I hated it mainly because of how long it took to do your laundry. The most time consuming part of it was waiting for people to move their stuff from one machine to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I often imagine that those that use it have recently committed some sort of crime and they need to get rid of the dna....either that or their own washing machines have died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The petrol station next to my house has two of them. They seem to be very well used night or day. Walking home from the pub at 2 or 3 in the morning there would always be a car parked in front of the machines, driver sat with hands clamped on the steering wheel staring into the whirling drum. They seemed nearly hypnotised.

I lived in student flats years ago and we had a shared laundry room. I hated it mainly because of how long it took to do your laundry. The most time consuming part of it was waiting for people to move their stuff from one machine to the next.

So where is this pub?:)

I'd always assumed if I used one I'd have to wait around for it. Normal washing machines you can open mid cycle so I wouldn't have expected much difference in those. Or I'd be late back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

I don’t let my own dog sleep on my bed. I don’t want someone else’s poochy poo/ fleas/ mange leftovers on my duvet. People who wash pet bedding in them do so as they don’t want the sh:t in their own clothes machines, but fine to use these garage ones and other people to have to wash their clothes in afterwards.
    Each to their own, as I said I’d never, ever use these, but I see plenty of people who do. If they’re happy to do so, let them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

To be honest, I never thought to use them for pet beds until a friend said it to me recently. I just cleaned my own washing machine after pet stuff like an absolute sucker. You live, you learn.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

murpho999 wrote: »
    So where is this pub?:)

You'll need a time machine to get there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

screamer wrote: »
    I don’t let my own dog sleep on my bed. I don’t want someone else’s poochy poo/ fleas/ mange leftovers on my duvet. People who wash pet bedding in them do so as they don’t want the sh:t in their own clothes machines, but fine to use these garage ones and other people to have to wash their clothes in afterwards.
    Each to their own, as I said I’d never, ever use these, but I see plenty of people who do. If they’re happy to do so, let them on.

Spot on :)
    I could never use them after reading this thread. You just can't trust what random people are using them for because as you say, they'll throw their dirty **** or piss stained items in them to save their own machine.

On a similar sidenote and I can't remember the website I read it but you will often find pubic hairs on or in kettles in hotel rooms. Let that set in :p

Spot on :)
    I could never use them after reading this thread. You just can't trust what random people are using them for because as you say, they'll throw their dirty **** or piss stained items in them to save their own machine.

On a similar sidenote and I can't remember the website I read it but you will often find pubic hairs on or in kettles in hotel rooms. Let that set in :p

Very strange.

You do realise that the other peoples dirt is washed and drained away.

When you wash your clothes at home do you think that the dirt from your clothes remains in the machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

murpho999 wrote: »
    Very strange.

You do realise that the other peoples dirt is washed and drained away.

When you wash your clothes at home do you think that the dirt from your clothes remains in the machine?

I already said this in the thread. But I will say it again.... Yes the purpose of a washing machine is to clean and wash away as you say. But again I pose a question to you.

... If I were to piss in a kettle. Boil it up. Wash it completely. Would you still like a cup of tea made from it? ;)

I know that's a mad thing to say but there was a report years ago about how many hotel kettles have pubic hairs in or on them.

Sure a public washing machine is like a public toilet. You wouldn't let your arse touch a public toilet seat right? :pac:

So no. I won't be washing my clothes with one of these machines :pac: you can all you want dude.

• Advertisement

Sure a public washing machine is like a public toilet. You wouldn't let your arse touch a public toilet seat right? :pac:

Eh yeah. Do people not sit on toilets in restaurants and that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Eh yeah. Do people not sit on toilets in restaurants and that?

I don't know what's wrong with us here but all over America they have toilet seat liners in all their public toilets. I just put down a layer of paper if I must sit. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

KungPao wrote: »
    The bloody things will put Dot Cotton out of business.

Isn’t he dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Half of America use communal washers and dryers and it hasn't killed them yet.

Makes so much sense from an environmental point of view, especially in cities.

Why have an apartment building with 200 individual washers and dryers that will sit unused 99% of the time. Wasted energy manufacturing & shipping them, wasted money, and a waste of space in a small apartment.

I already said this in the thread. But I will say it again.... Yes the purpose of a washing machine is to clean and wash away as you say. But again I pose a question to you.

... If I were to piss in a kettle. Boil it up. Wash it completely. Would you still like a cup of tea made from it? ;)

I know that's a mad thing to say but there was a report years ago about how many hotel kettles have pubic hairs in or on them.

So no. I won't be washing my clothes with one of these machines :pac: you can all you want dude.

I think that kettle example you give about hotels is an urban myth.

But anyhow, if somehow you managed to pee in my kettle and it was cleaned thoroughly then I would have no problem using it.

That's what cleaning does, takes dirt away. Dirt is dirt. There's no such thing as good dirt or bad dirt. In a washing machine semen, pee, pet hairs and other things that people seem to be afraid off get washed away and removed just like other day to dirt from food, dust etc. Nothing remains in the drum of a machine.

As for sitting on toilet seats, yes I would sit on them all the time especially in bars and restaurants. Hovering is not good.

I'm really not that precious or afraid of bacteria the way a lot on boards seem to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I'd love to see a link - any link - to that.

I suspect it's an old salesperson's myth.

A lot of people claim "pubic hair" not realising that most body hair is the same and most men have a hell of a lot more body hair than pubic hair.

I laugh at tripadvisor comments that claim Pubic hair in a bed, or in a shower or somewhere ina hotel - just because its a bit curly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Only time I've ever used them was for the cover of a sofa bed as there was no way it would fit in our domestic machine. Was pleasantly surprised by the results as, like many others here, I was half expecting it to come out covered in pet hairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I'd be more paranoid that someone would rob my clothes than what was washed beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

My mother asked me to wash two duvets in these recently €8 or €10 with fabric conditioner, and the inside of the drum coated in disgusting dog hairs.

I found new duvets in Ikea for similar money, and bought her new duvets instead.

A scoop of washing powder, bathful of hot water and I washed the duvets myself at home after for her so she now has a fresh set and a new set also. A bit of wringing and two or three days of dry weather on the clothes line and all you are doing is really washing out a year supply of sweat most is which is captured on the duvet cover anyway.

The price is too much but the real killer is the dog scum who wash rover and tinys filth in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

My tenants use them. The studio apartments are too small for a washing machine so they either use them or else walk further away to the launderette. Though by the stink any time I visit the flats to pick up rent they're not using them enough.

you should drop your washing off with the tenants and ask them to do it for you. and then put an extra family in each studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

theguzman wrote: »
    The price is too much but the real killer is the dog scum who wash rover and tinys filth in there.

How very dare you. I would never name a dog something so common and lacking in thought as Rover or Tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Specialun wrote: »
    who uses these and why not just use your own washing machine.. sure anybodies ****e and cum could be going into these. at least if i use my own i know it just my own, or mostly my own

i notice them in lots of places. how has this become a thing

Wouldn’t use them for this reason. There could have been a load of reusable nappies washed in them, who knows

Advertisement