Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

washing machines at petrol stations or supermarkets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cat relieved herself on our king size duvet, so I took it to a dry cleaners as it didnt fit in our washing machine. Got quoted €30. Took it to the garage across the road and got it washed and dried for €8. No brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Specialun wrote: »
    who uses these and why not just use your own washing machine.. sure anybodies ****e and cum could be going into these. at least if i use my own i know it just my own, or mostly my own

i notice them in lots of places. how has this become a thing

Know a few people who use them only to wash poo and pee soaked pet bedding. One kennel owner uses them weekly.

Specialun wrote: »
    sure anybodies ****e and cum could be going into these. at least if i use my own i know it just my own, or mostly my own

Why do you have shlte and cum on your clothes and sheets? And why do you think it's just mostly yours, and not all?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They are perfect for Duvets and if you have loads of bits to dry in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

keano_afc wrote: »
    Cat relieved herself on our king size duvet, so I took it to a dry cleaners as it didnt fit in our washing machine. Got quoted €30. Took it to the garage across the road and got it washed and dried for €8. No brainer.

Not sure how log ago it happened but you might be in trouble with the cat though, smell can still be there and they'll be drawn to it again.

I'm sure you know but just in case peeing outside litter tray is a sign of either stress or health issue (maybe unitary tract infection) so you should get the cat checked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I've a 9kg machine at home but I can't fit my king size duvets into it. These Revolution machines are great for freshening duvets up. It can be just as cheap to buy a new duvet these days I know, but pointless waste and disposal annoy me!
    Also I have a cat who throws up hairballs from time to time and a tendency to spill coffee so they are a godsend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

To all the people horrified at the thought of using a machine that poor people have used before them:

What the hell do you think will remain in a stainless steel drum after it's gone through a wash cycle with hot water and detergent?

Get over yourselves you dopey snobs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

To all the people horrified at the thought of using a machine that poor people have used before them:

What the hell do you think will remain in a stainless steel drum after it's gone through a wash cycle with hot water and detergent?

You are supposed to clean your own washing machine at set intervals: run cleaner through it on a high heat cycle, clean the filter and tray.

Maybe these ones are cleaned frequently by the operator, a for-profit business incentivised to cut overheads. But would you take a gamble on that being the case with a machine that's mainly used for the dirtiest jobs, by a load of people you've never met?

What's with all the people waiting on the machines to finish?
    Do the machines not stay locked until the stated wash period is over?
    Are there people out there breaking into the machines mid-wash to brave a flood of soapy water and cat**** in the hopes of snagging a Nike hoody?

I was wondering this too. When have you ever seen dirt left behind from clothes in a washing machine.

People are so annoyingly precious nowadays and seem to find everything to do with other people disgusting.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I was wondering this too. When have you ever seen dirt left behind from clothes in a washing machine.

People are so annoyingly precious nowadays and seem to find everything to do with other people disgusting.

In an age where eating ass is all the rage.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    You are supposed to clean your own washing machine at set intervals: run cleaner through it on a high heat cycle, clean the filter and tray.

Maybe these ones are cleaned frequently by the operator, a for-profit business incentivised to cut overheads. But would you take a gamble on that being the case with a machine that's mainly used for the dirtiest jobs, by a load of people you've never met?

Are there people out there breaking into the machines mid-wash to brave a flood of soapy water and cat**** in the hopes of snagging a Nike hoody?

So much anger and judgment over a washing machine.
    Get over yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

See the ones in our local tesco being maintained regularly. Used them once when the machine at home was broken. Do see alot of the local nomads from the reservations across the road using them, suppose its hard to fit a washing machine in a mobile wigwam alongside the 60 inch plasma

Yes but people do that wearing masks nowadays. Much safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Thankfully I had finished my tea. Yuck.

Can you just imagine. Ass hair, with bits it in. Vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

So much anger and judgment over a washing machine.
    Get over yourself!

There was no anger or judgment in anything I wrote. I was just trying to illustrate concerns some people may have.

Honestly the only anger and judgment here is in your own little rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How ever do they ever manage to use a bath or a shower in a hotel or airbnb, or *gasp* a TOILET that other people use??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How ever do they ever manage to use a bath or a shower in a hotel or airbnb, or *gasp* a TOILET that other people use??
    Maybe they bring their own, who knows?

Thankfully I had finished my tea. Yuck.

Can you just imagine. Ass hair, with bits it in. Vomit.

I live in a civilised country that uses bum guns. No such concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A business like this survives on reputation, so they have to be extra vigilant in terms of maintenance and cleaning.

You can request a sms to remind you it's finished, but its only 30min, easy enough to wait, and easy enough to get stuck in traffic if you venture too far away.

And if you were concerned about using one after someone else, then would you be concerned about sitting on a seat after someone? Sort of the same thing except in terms of a washing machines, the previous clothes are clean by the time the next load go in, so nullifies the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Angler1

Post holiday bulk wash and dry. Helps catch up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,599 ✭✭✭✭elperello

GT89 wrote: »
    Do these washing machines have planning permission. I remember hearing a while back that some of the parcel motels in petrol stations had to be removed because of they didn't have planning wonder will these washing machines experience the same.
    An Ri rua wrote: »
    Yes, apparently they thought they were exempt from planning but it didn't wash with the local authorities.
    Well they are all on private property and no bigger than a small garden shed. Like seriously!?

Link to an article about a PP application in Galway.

https://connachttribune.ie/city-council-queries-plan-24-hour-laundromat-024/

Planning regulations apply to all sorts of activities on private property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

To summarise the thread so far.....

Poor people use them

Settled people use them to wash pet ****e off blankets

Travellers use them for their laundry.

I'll give them a miss I think. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Not sure how log ago it happened but you might be in trouble with the cat though, smell can still be there and they'll be drawn to it again.

I'm sure you know but just in case peeing outside litter tray is a sign of either stress or health issue (maybe unitary tract infection) so you should get the cat checked out.

Was less complicated than that (I think). She went into our room and we went out and closed the door without realising she was there. She was trapped most of the day so I think she just needed to go and couldnt get to the litter tray.

To all the people discussed at these machines and, inexplicably, annoyed by people waiting for the cycle to end : how do you wash your duvets?

To all the people discussed at these machines and, inexplicably, annoyed by people waiting for the cycle to end : how do you wash your duvets?

We don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

D3V!L wrote: »

Poor people use them

Guaranteed they are maintained and cleaned and have less gunk annnnnnnd probably smell nicer than your wee machine :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Apt name …………….

:rolleyes: :D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

My dog sheds loads of hair. From time to time I put his bedding blankets into our washing machine and have to really clean out the machine afterwards or the next load of our clothes would be destroyed with hairs. I would not be doing other customers any favours by using these petrol station machines for that reason. How does that not affect other people if they are used for washing animal blankets. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,599 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dog blankets etc. are best hosed down and left outside to dry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

mechanics would use them
    who wants oil in their machines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Cupatae wrote: »
    Only on boards could you find people outraged and disgusted by a ****in washing machine... :D:D

Only on boards could a thread about washing machines result in a number of thinly veiled comments about travellers. State.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The local nursing home uses them for Covid bedclothes. No questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

That's exactly what I wanted to say... The op is a thinly veiled class separation post. Some people are so 'snobby' and for no reason whatsoever. God Love them if that's what they think when they pass one of these outlets. I got some great tips from this thread and will be bringing duvets and larger items to them in future.

what the actual fcuk is a “class seperation post”. you must be great fun at a party. i was taking the piss in my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I use them for bedding.
    In winter it's cheaper to dry them there than turn on my tumble dryer.
    I just add a few drops of tea tree oil to the drum as a disinfectant.
    Bu the way I'm not a nomadic, a mechanic or live in a care home.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,093 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Whatever about clearing out the filter, I have never, ever cleaned the drum in my washing machine. By its very nature it must be the cleanest thing in the house!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Mrsmum wrote: »
    My dog sheds loads of hair. From time to time I put his bedding blankets into our washing machine and have to really clean out the machine afterwards or the next load of our clothes would be destroyed with hairs. I would not be doing other customers any favours by using these petrol station machines for that reason. How does that not affect other people if they are used for washing animal blankets. ?
    This is what turns me off, no point washing a duvet to bring it home full of pet hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have used them a few times mostly for duvets. I have never had any problems, never seen any pet hair. Great value for larger things and way better than putting them through manky 'dry cleaning' fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,954 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Leggy , I've used them a few times as I've a couple of heavy quilted bedspreads I inherited that won't fit in either the washing machine or dryer .
    The machines are usually spotless , no hairs, dirt,grime etc . I can only assume they're regularly maintained tbh .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,543 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The summer duvet will need to be washed when I change it so good to know, Mam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I get the dry cleaner to do it (in effectively identical machines, in his shop), because he comes door to door and the Circle K is a whole three minutes away. He also doesn't charge €30 like someone got quoted up thread, so after a wash and dry cycle I wouldn't be saving that much.

Summer duvet is so light it can go in my about as heavy duty as domestic ones go washer and dryer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Nexytus wrote: »
    If you're not there you could have your horse blanket stolen by nomads.
    I use them for bedding.
    In winter it's cheaper to dry them there than turn on my tumble dryer.
    I just add a few drops of tea tree oil to the drum as a disinfectant.
    Bu the way I'm not a nomadic, a mechanic or live in a care home.
    neris wrote: »
    See the ones in our local tesco being maintained regularly. Used them once when the machine at home was broken. Do see alot of the local nomads from the reservations across the road using them, suppose its hard to fit a washing machine in a mobile wigwam alongside the 60 inch plasma
    D3V!L wrote: »

Poor people use them

Mod

Drop all these low level digs at the travelling community. Only warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

There are notices on all of them to say not to put pet bedding in them.
    I'd hope people would be honest enough to respect that.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Irish people don't generally follow rules and go out of their way to disobey them.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Gammyeye

screamer wrote: »
    Dunno but I’d never, ever use them. I’ve heard of people washing horse blankets in them. Disgusting. But I suppose if you’re used to using a laundrette it’s no different. Still I wouldn’t.

Not only that but I've put my actual horse into one. Turned out lovely and clean too.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Irish people don't generally follow rules and go out of their way to disobey them.

That's total generalising and just not true.

• Advertisement

Why would they have that?

What's the problem with bedding?

How come on the company's about page does it say "The launderette is ideal for weekly washing, curtains, duvets, and pillows."?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Why would they have that?

What's the problem with bedding?

How come on the company's about page does it say "The launderette is ideal for weekly washing, curtains, duvets, and pillows."?

No pet bedding (as it often contains a large amount of animal hair) that can clog the filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I never really thought about them until this thread. But ...
    _Brian wrote: »
    Know a few people who use them only to wash poo and pee soaked pet bedding. One kennel owner uses them weekly.

I'd well believe it. I am never gonna use these now :pac: you just can't trust people as these are a public washing machine.

I mean most people don't sit down and let their arse touch a public toilet :p
    And for anyone who argues that they wash and clean things... Well if I was to piss in a kettle but totally clean it out. Would you like a cup of tea made from it? ;)

You wouldn't :pac:

I never really thought about them until this thread. But ...

I'd well believe it. I am never gonna use these now :pac: you just can't trust people as these are a public washing machine.

I mean most people don't sit down and let their arse touch a public toilet :p
    And for anyone who argues that they wash and clean things... Well if I was to piss in a kettle but totally clean it out. Would you like a cup of tea made from it? ;)

You wouldn't :pac:

Boiling your piss again??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Boiling your piss again??

If I don't who else is going to duh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement