Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Purchase

Options
  • 23-08-2020 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

Can anyone please help me looking for some advice. We have gone sale agreed on a house 8 weeks ago, paid booking deposit but haven’t heard or signed anything since.

We have a family member who have said they have gone sale agreed and are signing contracts after 3 weeks.

DK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Pistachio19

Contact your solicitor tomorrow to see what stage the sale is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Dankarl wrote:
    Can anyone please help me looking for some advice. We have gone sale agreed on a house 8 weeks ago, paid booking deposit but haven’t heard or signed anything since.

Hound the estate agent to see what's going on with the vendor. Maybe their solicitor has sent contracts to yours and yours hasn't been in touch so clarify this too. Both are making a living from this, you've every right to be on their case. Squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moved to more sensible forum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Keep looking. A percentage of sales agreed fall through for one reason or another. 3 weeks to signing contracts is very short though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

I went sale agreed and my solicitor had contracts the following week.
    We only signed a week ago because we had to wait on loan offer to issue. 8 weeks sounds very long.
    But I know in our case the vendor was extremely quick.
    I think the vendor is worried over the uncertainty with Covid-19 which is why they are so quick to do everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The fact that you waiting 2 months without looking for an update is strange.

Speak to your solicitor and estate agent a few times a week for updates and to see what is outstanding.

I purchased two properties in the last number of years and both times it took 9 weeks, but it took constant calls to all parties to make sure everything was being done asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

Dankarl wrote: »
    Hi,

We have a family member who have said they have gone sale agreed and are signing contracts after 3 weeks.

DK
    As others have stated you need to chase.

The likelihood is that the seller is not in a hurry for any number of legitimate or other reasons or you or they may have a slow lawyer.
    Lawyers get paid to be slow, it justifies higher fees.

If the seller backs out for a higher offer and sends you back your deposit
    you have no comeback.

You need to start demanding action.

First call is your lawyer, they could be the problem!

Most law practices are on holidays for the month of August. No harm to ring them anyway.

Advertisement