Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why no bottle return deposit in Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,587 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Well said SEPT :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I see they want to introduce this.
    It's a rubbish watered down version of what works well in Germany and the Netherlands.

You will it be able to get a voucher for the shop where you returned the items, you should be able to get a cash refund.

Waste companies are very hostile towards it.

https://m.independent.ie/news/environment/scheme-to-reward-collection-of-bottles-and-cans-is-trashed-by-waste-industry-39504880.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Can't we just pay some clever boffins to make this environmental crisis thingy go away... like they did with that big hole in the OZone layer!? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would go down that route as have plenty of plastic bottles and tins i could donate while also using my green bin.Anything that helps to clean up the litter problem will help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

I'd also like to see a complete ban on disposable coffee cups.

Mrs. Elephant works in a certain retail establishment and the amount of coffee cups left lying around on shelves or even atop piles of clothes is disgraceful (it's usually women btw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Getting a pile of used compostable coffee cups on table now which can go in the compost bin when i drop that in and lids into recycling bin for work.No glass bottles in work but have plastic bottles from water.
    I will assume other plastic bottles of say brake fluid,engine oil and other fluids need to go into black bin and not the bring back machines that might be coming to shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

oil containers can be washed out with detergents and reused or ground up for plastic chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The pfand system is great. I always carry a small bottle opener in Germany. It feels like a bonus when you get a few bob off the next lot of drinks or whatever else you get in the shop. If introducing it to Ireland meant more glass bottles being washed and re-used rather than crushed, improved recycling of cans, and less plastic, that would be great.

Advertisement