Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now ye're talking - to someone who runs a dog rescue charity

• 08-07-2019 2:58pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next guest has been involved in dog rescue in some way, shape or form for the last 17 years and founded a small dog rescue 15 years ago which is a registered charity. Here's what else they have to say about it:
    I do this on my own on a part-time basis, but helped out by a good crew of volunteers, without whom it simply couldn't work.

We take in dogs that owners don't want any more, for whatever reason, and we also take in strays from the pounds around the country. We get a good feel for each dog, so that we know what sort of home is best suited to it.

On the other side of the coin, we process applications from people who'd like to adopt a dog, and we do pre-adoption vetting, just to make sure they can provide the sort of home we're looking for. Then, we match them up as best we can with a dog, as well as matching the dog up with them!

We provide support for each dog until the end of its days, so if things aren't working out in their adoptive home, for whatever reason and at any stage, we'll always take the dog back. This doesn't happen too often due to our careful selection of adopters, and the trouble we take to match them up with the right dog for them, but sometimes life throws curved balls even at the best people, so we're here if they need us.

I know there are many, many dog lovers on Boards so hopefully you will al enjoy this AMA.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭YNWA27

Do you find that there is a prevalence in the number of certain breeds abandoned?

German Shepherds
    Malinois
    Siberian Huskies
    Dobermans
    Rottweilers

Etc?

Freakily I suspect I might even know who this person is :) The dates line up anyway!

As for a question - does Ireland take in many dogs into our Dog Rescues from other countries? I know from contacts I have in Germany and Spain that they are often taking in dogs from Eastern EU countries where there is less of a structure of support. Or do we tend to focus solely on dogs in our own country?

What do we do for dogs who have undergone some long lasting psychological trauma? Do we treat them in any way before finding them a home? Or do they go directly to a home? I know my father took in a rescue dog relatively young but even today she is terrified of _everyone_ except him. Whatever her trauma was as a puppy - she has basically never recovered from it. I always wondered what policy is there on such a dog. Can anything be done before homing them? Or do we just try to find the best fit home that will hopefully allow them to cope with those issues.

What dogs are abandoned or ditched most often? My contacts in Germany tell me that weirdly by far the dogs they get most often are black dogs. If a dog is all black in colour they get ditched more often than any other. Probably a fashion thing one hopes - and not some throw back to more racist times in their country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How long was the longest resident with you for? And was there any specific reason why they were with you for that amount of time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What are your average running costs per annum?

If you never received another donation how long could you keep doing what ye do?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Myself and my partner have considered either adopting through one of these services and/or fostering to help out. Our only concern is that we are gone 10/12 hours a day with work and commuting and if we call to friends/family after work on an evening. I would imagine for most rescue services this would be an issue due to the time the animal would be alone, for us on a personal level we couldn't have it on our conscious being away for so long in the day.

Keep up the great work and I would imagine the this will be a great AMA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Do you think animal rescues nationally could do more to work together / share expertise and or equipment where possible at a local level?

Economies of scale seems to be something missing when I look around my own area and see how many rescues overlap with each running different campaigns rather than pooling together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Is this the dog rescue place in St. Margrets in Finglas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What's the bigger challenge, finding enough good homes for dogs or finding enough funding to keep doing what you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

How awesome are dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

if i volunteered for a dog rescue charity what would i be doing?ive often thought of doing it but never got around to it.(do you take volunteers?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got a rescue dog and cat recently. Lovely animals

Currently building a pen for the dog.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Thanks for doing this!

I've got a few questions (I foster for a rescue but I imagine running a rescue is a whole other ball game):

What do you think dog rescue charities in general (not you personally) should be doing better?

I feel like dog charities are very disparate and have completely different policies and procedures. I'd love for them to work together but I don't know if that's feasible with so many different personalities involved. Do you think they could ever work together nationally?

Do you think breed-specific or purpose-specific rescues work well?

What do you think the government should be doing?

If someone gave you €16.8 million from a ring-fenced source in the morning, what would you do with it to improve Irish dog welfare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

How do you fall on ‘rescuing’ ex breeding and always having puppies?

I am conflicted about rescues that always seem to have them and wonder do they pay the puppy farmers, there by putting money in their pockets... I support a variety of different rescues, but often find it quite difficult when I find out they spend monies in this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Slightly controversial question possibly, especially as I had worked alongside a rescue for many years! Do you think rescues don't do enough to help promote how to find a good breeder and what to look for (health tested parents, puppies raised inside the home, etc), if an individual is unwilling to rescue or are looking for a specific breed? With puppy farms being so prevalent in this country, do you think better education for the public on breeder vs. rescue would make a difference rather than the general shunning of anyone who wants to go to a breeder?

Thanks so much for doing this AMA!

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Company Representative Posts: 25 Verified rep I run a dog rescue charity, AMA

Hello all! Thanks so much for your posts so far... some great questions and observations there!
    I'll work my way through them bit by bit, hopefully I can help folks to understand the whole world of dog rescue in Ireland a bit better!
    I will say, it's a relatively very small rescue I run compared to some of the big hitters, so I may not have my finger fully on the pulse these days compared to a number of years ago when I'd have been volunteering myself for other rescues as well as running this little one.
    I don't involve myself much in any politics that can go on, life's too short!:o
    Anyway, here goes!:D

YNWA27 wrote: »
    Do you find that there is a prevalence in the number of certain breeds abandoned?

German Shepherds
    Malinois
    Siberian Huskies
    Dobermans
    Rottweilers

Etc?

What dogs are abandoned or ditched most often? My contacts in Germany tell me that weirdly by far the dogs they get most often are black dogs. If a dog is all black in colour they get ditched more often than any other. Probably a fashion thing one hopes - and not some throw back to more racist times in their country.

It seems to me that when it comes to purebred dogs, the frequency that they show up in rescues is in direct proportion to their "popularity" at that time. Different breeds go through waves of popularity... Amongst the big breeds, German Shepherds in the 80's, Rottweilers and Dobermann came after them, then in the noughties it seemed to have been all about the sled dog breeds: Siberian Huskies and Malamutes in particular... actually, both are still showing up in disproportionate numbers.
    The past few years, the big, strong mastiff types such as Presa Canario, Cane Corso, Dogue de Bordeaux etc seem to be the popular big breeds, and sure enough, they seem to be showing up in greater numbers in pounds, free-ads websites, and rescues now.
    Similarly, amongst the smallies, there are more and more "designer crossbreeds" showing up... the -doodles and -achons and -aliers.

The black dog theory is quite well known, and has been tested via research.. it is a *thing*, and not just in Germany! It's weird, isn't it? One theory is that they're harder to read, because it's harder to see their features. Anecdotally, people always seem to find black dogs more intimidating... maybe because they can't read them as well?
    Certainly with greyhounds, the black ones seem much more difficult to rehome. Is it because they're maybe not as flash looking as their lighter coloured counterparts?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Certainly with greyhounds, the black ones seem much more difficult to rehome. Is it because they're maybe not as flash looking as their lighter coloured counterparts?

If you've trouble rehoming any black greyhounds, drop me a PM and I'll have one. Beautiful dogs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My mum looked after my dog while I was away and she’s now thinking of getting a rescue. I knew she’d love Monty.

She is looking for an older dog (not that old but maybe less energy) and probably with a relaxed demeanor. I’m not sure she can excercise the dog much but they would have lots of company and would prob be spoilt rotten. Can people in these rescue places help fit the dog with the owner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Thanks for doing an AMA.

1. To your knowledge why is it that Ireland hasn't been able to control the puppy farm thing? I would have thought it would have been easy to stamp out with a bit it enforcement of animal welfare regs.

2. What steps would you like to see taken in order to eliminate this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

You do great work.
    I got my dog from a shelter and he is the best.

How do the dogs come into your care and where, in your experience, do they come from?

• Advertisement

Freakily I suspect I might even know who this person is :) The dates line up anyway!

The time I got into rescue was a real heyday in terms of rescues being set up, in response to shamefully enormous numbers of healthy, unwanted dogs being euthanased in pounds. So there are quite a few of us that have been doing what we do since about the same time :)
    As for a question - does Ireland take in many dogs into our Dog Rescues from other countries? I know from contacts I have in Germany and Spain that they are often taking in dogs from Eastern EU countries where there is less of a structure of support. Or do we tend to focus solely on dogs in our own country?

Anecdotally speaking, I have met a few rescue dogs in Ireland that came from Eastern Europe in recent years, having never come across it before. We seem to mirror what's going on the UK, albeit we often seem to be a few years behind them, but there is certainly a growing number of rescues in the UK dedicated to rescuing dogs from Eastern Europe and Asia.
    On the flip side of that coin, Ireland sends a LOT of rescue dogs to the UK, and a smaller number to Scandinavia, particularly Sweden.
    What do we do for dogs who have undergone some long lasting psychological trauma? Do we treat them in any way before finding them a home? Or do they go directly to a home? I know my father took in a rescue dog relatively young but even today she is terrified of _everyone_ except him. Whatever her trauma was as a puppy - she has basically never recovered from it. I always wondered what policy is there on such a dog. Can anything be done before homing them? Or do we just try to find the best fit home that will hopefully allow them to cope with those issues.

Good question! There does seem to be quite a wide disparity between different rescues in how they handle rehoming the more difficult or complex dogs. Personally, I feel that owning a dog should be a pleasure for the person who has adopted that dog, or at least, the good times should make the bad times worthwhile!
    Different people have different expectations, abilities, circumstances, and commitment when it comes to what they want from a rescued dog, so there are people out there who can take on a more difficult dog that needs work, and there are others who just can't, for whatever reason.
    In my opinion, it is wrong to saddle the latter type of person with a problem dog, or with a dog that doesn't tick a lot of their boxes. It affects the bonding process, it causes frustration and resentment, and most importantly of all, it seriously increases the likelihood of that dog being sent back to the rescue, which, for a sensitive, fearful, traumatised dog, is a bit of a nightmare to be honest. It also makes that person far less likely to explore the rescue route again.
    So, to answer your question, matching the right dog to the right home is terribly important, as is providing support and back-up directly myself, or by pulling in favours from behaviourist contacts who'll go visit the adopter with their new dog to design a bespoke treatment program for them. But, as a general rule, I will get the more complicated dogs into experienced foster homes, both to get to grips with what's going on with the dog, and to start off the process of trying to repair that dog before he goes off to a carefully selected home, again giving direct support to the fosterer, or if necessary, getting professional help in. Fostering is fab, because it gives me fantastic information about what each dog is like to live with, what he's good at, what he's not, from an unbiased carer.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How long was the longest resident with you for? And was there any specific reason why they were with you for that amount of time?

We've had a good few dogs that were with us, in foster care, for 6+ months. These would have been dogs with medical issues, usually which had been allowed get out of control by their previous owner, leaving us with a bit of a mountain to climb that could have been avoided had the owner sought help earlier. But, related to a previous reply, if we can at all, we'll send each dog to his new home so that it "hits the ground running", ie that he has started and made progress on a behaviour modification program if required, and/or that he is on the mend medically if required.

What are your average running costs per annum?

If you never received another donation how long could you keep doing what ye do?

Hmmm, interesting. Without wanting to go into too much detail, and bearing in mind this is a small rescue which rehomes 30-100 dogs per year, depending on how busy the year is, bills could run into 5 figures. We try to minimise kenneling fees by seeking foster homes, and we twist the arms of vets to get reduced medical care, including vaccination, neutering, microchipping etc. If we get a healthy, unneutered, unvaccinated, unchipped male dog in (castration is cheaper that spaying), and use a foster home, each dog will cost us a minimum of €110. Neither I nor our volunteers charge for their time nor fuel, which keeps the costs right down.

Edited to add: I forgot to answer your second question! At best, a few months is as long as we'd last.

IJS84 wrote: »
    Myself and my partner have considered either adopting through one of these services and/or fostering to help out. Our only concern is that we are gone 10/12 hours a day with work and commuting and if we call to friends/family after work on an evening. I would imagine for most rescue services this would be an issue due to the time the animal would be alone, for us on a personal level we couldn't have it on our conscious being away for so long in the day.

Keep up the great work and I would imagine the this will be a great AMA

Thanks for your kind words :)
    With the right dog and the right management in place, working full-time and owning a dog is do-able, but it does mean having to make sacrifices, and there is a ceiling beyond which many rescues simply can't entertain when it comes to how long the dog will be left alone. Unfortunately, 10-12 hours is just too long for a social animal to be left on his own without utilising something like doggy daycare (which not all dogs much enjoy), and which racks up the cost of ownership.
    There is a good bit of research to back up that dogs do suffer emotionally when left alone for long periods regularly, and it's a fact that many rescue dogs come with attachment issues *because* they've already lost one home, so it's not just the rescues trying to be awkward!
    You've made the right decision, and you're to be admired for that, because there are far too many people who ignore that inner voice, and go ahead and get a dog anyway. Hopefully at some stage your schedules will change so that you can share your lives with a dog :)

pawrick wrote: »
    Do you think animal rescues nationally could do more to work together / share expertise and or equipment where possible at a local level?

Economies of scale seems to be something missing when I look around my own area and see how many rescues overlap with each running different campaigns rather than pooling together.
    Choc Chip wrote: »
    I feel like dog charities are very disparate and have completely different policies and procedures. I'd love for them to work together but I don't know if that's feasible with so many different personalities involved. Do you think they could ever work together nationally?

Don't get me started :o
    I referred earlier on to a "heyday" in rescue about 17ish years ago, when the national annual figure for euthanasia in healthy, unwanted dogs in Irish pounds was heading for 30,000, so there was a real sense of having to pull together to do something about it.

There was no social media, just one or two dedicated rescue forums where rescues could look for help from other rescues, or from volunteers, and there was genuinely a great sense of community and mutual support across the country. And it worked too... the euthanasia rate fell immediately, and has fallen every year since then, with a concurrent increase in rehoming rates.

But, between the advent of social media, and too many differences of opinion, and perhaps some egos getting out of control, that community pretty much fell apart. It's never been the same since really, although I'll always help out rescues that contact me for help, and I have a good group of contacts across the country that I can call on when I need to. I don't get involved in any silliness, as it's not about us, it's about the dogs.
    There is a National Stray Dogs and Cats Forum organised by Veterinary Ireland every few years, where vets, rescues, and other dog related charities get together to discuss issues with unwanted dogs and cats, and what can be done. This is probably the closest we get to a cohesive gathering of rescues these days.

There have been attempts made over the years to at least have some sort of industry standards set, so that members of the public would know that if X rescue was signed up to a central Code of some sort, they'd know what they could expect from that rescue in terms of service, pre-adoption processes, costs, support. But again, the politics of such an idea has made it difficult.

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Is this the dog rescue place in St. Margrets in Finglas?

No :)

What's the bigger challenge, finding enough good homes for dogs or finding enough funding to keep doing what you do?

Another good question that's got me thinking!
    Having pondered on it a while, I've concluded that for us anyway, it's funding. Generally, you'll find a home for each dog eventually. Having the moolah to keep a dog in the longer term is always a worry though, and it takes a fair bit of ongoing effort to fundraise. There have been times when there'd be a glut of dogs coming into us all at the same time, all needing money spent on them at the same time... aaaaggghhhh!
    This might be different for other rescues though, particularly those that specialise in harder-to-home types/breeds of dogs.

How awesome are dogs?

Absolutely, totally, completely AWESOME :D:D:D

if i volunteered for a dog rescue charity what would i be doing?ive often thought of doing it but never got around to it.(do you take volunteers?)

Most rescue charities need volunteers to foster, or to drive dogs from A to B, or to do home visits. Larger rescues which utilise kennels will also appreciate people to walk and groom and goof around with their dogs for them. Indeed, some of the pounds will invite people in to walk the poundies... you've got to be fairly steely to do this though, as pounds often aren't nice places to be, and there's that emotional drag of knowing the dog you're walking faces an uncertain future in this setting in some pounds :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Fantastic! We are at the very early stages of thinking about getting a dog. A rescue dog is our first choice. Our kids are 10 and 8 and are great with dogs, but I'd be worried they'd be a bit full on and stress out an already stressed dog.

I keep asking people who have received rescue dogs, but they keep telling us horror stories.

Not sure if those goes a bit beyond what's allowed in the AMAs but any advice you could give would be great. Are we rescue dog unsuitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Iv'e no real questions in particular but i do want to say the work people like yourself do is amazing and i thank you for that.

We adopted a dog from a rescue like yourself (could be even you) not six months ago and the joy the little fella has brought into our house has been genuinely heartwarming. Also sometimes i think people underestimate the good a dog can bring to you as a person not only mentally but physically. He has literally forced me and others in our house off the couch and made going for long walks fun again. It's been that good we are looking at adopting a second dog at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

No question, just saying well done for giving your time and dedication to this.
    Other than my wife and kids the love of my life is our 12.5 yr old dog, she was a rescue at 7 and luckily people like you exist to look after animals until they are homed. Our dog had a tough time in her home before being rescued and still is the happiest most loving old lady now....

Thanks for doing this!

I've got a few questions (I foster for a rescue but I imagine running a rescue is a whole other ball game):

What do you think dog rescue charities in general (not you personally) should be doing better?

Do you think breed-specific or purpose-specific rescues work well?

What do you think the government should be doing?

If someone gave you €16.8 million from a ring-fenced source in the morning, what would you do with it to improve Irish dog welfare?

Oops! I quoted your question about rescues working together above, but I forgot to answer the rest of your questions :o

What do I think dog charities could be doing better?
    Working together, and leaving politics at the door. We all say we want the same thing... to make dogs' lives better, but I dunno, sometimes it feels like it's more about individual people seeking kudos, although I'll add the caveat that the genuinely busy, good rescues are less guilty of this!
    I'd also like to see some sort of rescue oversight... some transparent way of ensuring that rescues are adhering to certain standards of welfare and customer care. As it stands, in my opinion there are too many rescue groups doing the same thing but pulling in different directions, and it's too easy for any mentaller to start their own rescue.

Do I think breed-specific/purpose-specific rescues work well?
    Generally, yes. The idea behind groups that specialise in one breed is really good, because they know the breed like the back of their hands. It is astonishing how many purebred dogs end up in rescue due to their owners not having done their research (the Siberian Husky I mentioned above is a prime example), and breed-specific rescues tend to be very good at making sure to get it right for the dog the second time around, because of their familiarity with the breed's needs.

What do I think the government should be doing?
    This might be a bit loaded... but I'd like if dogs were harder to own, from the point of view that I feel owners should have to demonstrate some level of competence before they can own a dog. It's done in other countries and works really well... no stray dogs, no poop on the footpath, no unwanted litters, and very little surrendering of dogs.
    I'd also like to see the abolition of breed specific legislation in favour of placing the onus of responsibility on the owner, regardless of what breed or creed of dog they own, and of course, enforcement of the legislation. I'd hope this would put irresponsible owners off getting a dog in the first place, thus reducing the number of surrendered dogs.
    I'd like to see a ban on online advertising of pet animals for sale: easy online advertising has hugely promoted irresponsible breeding, overbreeding, poor welfare, poor health, behavioural issues, irresponsible ownership, and ultimately, dogs being dumped or surrendered.
    Also loaded perhaps, I'd like to see some measures put in place to standardise and promote certain standards amongst animal rescue groups.

What would I do with €16.8m?
    I'd donate it all to the good greyhound and lurcher rescues in the country :D
    Seriously, I would create lobby groups for the above.
    I'd have to think about how, but a major national education and welfare program for collies, and lurchers. Collies must be the most welfare-impoverished of all breeds in the country, much of it due to ignorance I feel. Same for lurchers.
    I might have a bit more of a think about this one :o

em_cat wrote: »
    How do you fall on ‘rescuing’ ex breeding and always having puppies?

I am conflicted about rescues that always seem to have them and wonder do they pay the puppy farmers, there by putting money in their pockets... I support a variety of different rescues, but often find it quite difficult when I find out they spend monies in this way.

I get ya! Everyone has their reasons and rationales behind how they acquire dogs, but personally, I have a fundamental objection to handing money over to someone to take a "problem" off their hands... I'm doing them the favour, and as you say, I refuse to put money in the pocket of someone who has contributed to the problem I'm trying to clean up. Plus, by definition, the charity I run is going to have to spend money on getting the dog ready for rehoming, money that the breeder was not prepared to spend.
    But, I do understand why some rescues do this, it's a difficult knife-edge really. But not for me. I have occasionally negotiated my way into getting my mitts on an ex-breeding dog that the owner had wanted money for!

VonVix wrote: »
    Slightly controversial question possibly, especially as I had worked alongside a rescue for many years! Do you think rescues don't do enough to help promote how to find a good breeder and what to look for (health tested parents, puppies raised inside the home, etc), if an individual is unwilling to rescue or are looking for a specific breed? With puppy farms being so prevalent in this country, do you think better education for the public on breeder vs. rescue would make a difference rather than the general shunning of anyone who wants to go to a breeder?

Thanks so much for doing this AMA!

Thank you VonVix!
    A difficult one for me to answer as I'm not sure how other rescues operate in this regard. Personally, I have no issue with directing people to good, reputable breeders, if that's the road they want to take.
    I will, of course, try to dispel any doubts they have about rescuing a dog, it works sometimes! But there is a tendency for rescue people to get a bit shrieky at prospective owners for wanting to buy a dog rather than rescue one, and that irks me, particularly if the prospective owner is making an informed choice.
    That said, the reality is that it can be bloody hard to find really good breeders, even of the more common breeds. I'd like to see the IKC and breed societies to step up to the plate here, and as attendees at the aforementioned Stray Dogs and Cats Forum, the IKC have been prevailed upon to do so... a meaningful, transparent and trustworthy accredited breeders scheme (as per the UK) would be a good start. At least then, owners would have some way of assessing breeders of their potential pups, because as it stands it's a bit of a minefield.
    Similarly, as already mentioned, an accreditation scheme for rescues, for the same reasons. Some rescues are better than others!

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    My mum looked after my dog while I was away and she’s now thinking of getting a rescue. I knew she’d love Monty.

She is looking for an older dog (not that old but maybe less energy) and probably with a relaxed demeanor. I’m not sure she can excercise the dog much but they would have lots of company and would prob be spoilt rotten. Can people in these rescue places help fit the dog with the owner?

Rescues are crying out for people like your mum, Drumpot! Middle-aged dogs are the most difficult to rehome. Younger dogs are easy because they're great fun and have their whole lives ahead of them, elderly dogs will always pull at heartstrings... it's the ones in the middle that get passed over all the time. So when someone makes contact actually wanting one of this age group, I jump at the chance! I can only assume other rescues feel the same!
    If you want to PM me at some stage, I may be able to point you in a few right directions :)

boombang wrote: »
    Thanks for doing an AMA.

1. To your knowledge why is it that Ireland hasn't been able to control the puppy farm thing? I would have thought it would have been easy to stamp out with a bit it enforcement of animal welfare regs.

This is a HUGE bugbear of mine.
    Instead of outlawing puppy-farming when presented with the opportunity, our legislators, in their wisdom, actually legalised it. So now the mass-production of dogs is legal, as long as certain criteria are fulfilled, very few of which relate to animal welfare. The original legislation (the Dog Breeding Establishments Act, 2010) falls far short of pinning puppy producers down on welfare, socialisation, handling of pups etc, but this is hopefully in the process of being somewhat remedied with pressure from Veterinary Ireland, various dog rescue charities (yours truly included), behaviour and training associations.
    Here's the rub: the above legislation which puts some manners on puppy farmers in terms of welfare, licensing, accounts etc, only applies to people who keep 6 or more bitches of breeding potential. 6 breeding bitches is quite a big outfit, and the vast majority of small-scale puppy farmers (known in the trade as "back-yard breeders, or BYBs) would keep less than 6 anyway, regardless of legislation.
    In my experience, there are more poorly bred pups coming from back-yard breeders in Ireland, than there are poorly bred pups coming from licensed puppy farms, yet these back-yard breeders are not subject to any breeding-related legislation at all! Whilst the breeding legislation is not great, I'd have to concede that it's better than nothing, yet most mass-produced pups don't have the protection even of it.
    2. What steps would you like to see taken in order to eliminate this problem?

We should have done what everyone else has done... ban the bloody things. It is a fact, supported by loads and loads of research, that mass-producing pups is anathema to producing well rounded, sociable, good family pet dogs. In addition, as per an above post, place the onus on responsible dog ownership, and a way of allowing potential owners to source really, genuinely good, well bred pet dogs.

Your Face wrote: »
    You do great work.
    I got my dog from a shelter and he is the best.

How do the dogs come into your care and where, in your experience, do they come from?

Thank you :)
    Though I won't take too much of the thanks... our volunteers and supporters are the unsung heroes of rescue in Ireland :)
    Most of the dogs I take in are directly surrendered from their owners. The most common reasons include that a child has joined the family and the dog is not dealing well with it; the owner's circumstances have changed drastically eg emigration, becoming homeless; the owner has been take into care or has died.
    A smaller number of dogs come from the pounds around the country, and a few come from other rescue groups.

Fantastic! We are at the very early stages of thinking about getting a dog. A rescue dog is our first choice. Our kids are 10 and 8 and are great with dogs, but I'd be worried they'd be a bit full on and stress out an already stressed dog.

I keep asking people who have received rescue dogs, but they keep telling us horror stories.

Not sure if those goes a bit beyond what's allowed in the AMAs but any advice you could give would be great. Are we rescue dog unsuitable?

For every horror story you hear, myself (and the good folks in the Animals and Pets Forum!) will give you 10 joyful stories!
    There are lots of really good rescues, and there are a few really rubbish ones. The good ones feel the need to be sure that they're going to put the right dog into the right home... if we don't get this right, the dog comes back, and that, quite frankly, is a pain, and not good for the dog.
    This means things like application forms and home visits, and maybe having to wait a bit for the right dog. The people who go through the process, and who keep in touch with the rescue pre-adoption, have a great chance of getting a fantastic family pet.
    I feel the need to emphasise that although rescue dogs can have issues, many of them are just big eejity eejits, and the transition from old home to new almost goes right over their goofy heads :D Families with young kids need goofy dogs, because such dogs tend to be resilient, patient, forgiving, tolerant, fun, funny. They might not have had enough training, so their goofyism is in overdrive, but that is easy to fix:)
    I think your kids are a great age to get a dog, and going through a good rescue is a great example to them too! A good family dog is the greatest thing for dog-loving kids. You're welcome to PM me at any stage, I would hope to be able to point you in the right direction :)

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    No question, just saying well done for giving your time and dedication to this.
    Other than my wife and kids the love of my life is our 12.5 yr old dog, she was a rescue at 7 and luckily people like you exist to look after animals until they are homed. Our dog had a tough time in her home before being rescued and still is the happiest most loving old lady now....

Ahhhh... another adopter of a middle-aged dog :o Love it!
    Thank you for your kind words, but there are a lot of pieces to the dog-rehoming jigsaw: fosterers, transporters, home visitors, vets who give discounts, and adopters! A big bualadh bos to them all from me :)
    The cornerstone of a good rescue is to make a promise to each dog that once he comes into our care, it's all uphill from here.... we'll make sure his next home is an upgrade on what came before. For some like your girl, this must be the promise of a major upgrade. Giving a dog like her a chance at a happy life is quite simply one of the nicest things a person can do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Ahhhh... another adopter of a middle-aged dog Love it! Thank you for your kind words, but there are a lot of pieces to the dog-rehoming jigsaw: fosterers, transporters, home visitors, vets who give discounts, and adopters! A big bualadh bos to them all from me The cornerstone of a good rescue is to make a promise to each dog that once he comes into our care, it's all uphill from here.... we'll make sure his next home is an upgrade on what came before. For some like your girl, this must be the promise of a major upgrade. Giving a dog like her a chance at a happy life is quite simply one of the nicest things a person can do

She's the best, instinctively became a best friend to all of us from day 1. One child sick about 5 days after she became part of the family and she stayed in the bedroom for almost all of the 2 days.
    Yes we had home visits, etc and met a number of volunteers, all great people. Definitely done for love of animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

No real question from me but thanks for doing what you do!

On the point of older dogs we rescued a terrier at 7/8, she's now 10/11 and she's the sweetest dog I've ever come across.
    Middle aged / older dogs aren't for everyone but I think it might be worthwhile having dedicated campaigns for folk looking for an older companion.

We'll be going for a younger dog (due to a young family) but the time will come round again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all these!

Since you mentioned collies and lurchers... where do they all come from, and why on earth are there so many of them?

We complain about puppy farms (and I agree we should ban them) but the small fluffies seem to rarely end up in pounds and when they do they are easily rehomed. Off the top of my head, I've had maybe 2 collies, 2 colliexlurchers and 5 lurcher fosters in my house over the past few years. Maybe one terrier. The pounds seem rife with collies and lurchers.

I don't mean this to be a loaded question, but who on earth is breeding them? They're hardly being churned out of puppy farms. Is it all mistakes/people simply not neutering their dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pawrick

Whats your opinion on licencing and micro chipping in relation to making the work of an animal rescue easier or conditions better for dogs (or pets in general).
    To me it seems to be a bit of a muddle of different groups/agencies managing databases and i think licences should be combined with chips in a better way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Hi, No questions, just wanted to say thanks for all that you do.

Our own rescue is a cheeky little chap. Every night he does the same joke. He always leaves a bit of his kibble in his bowl. Then about half 11, I pick it up. He then comes back out looks at the place where the bowl was and all but says where's my dinner gone. So it goes back down, but he won't eat if anyone's watching. It amuses us.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thank you for participating in an AMA and thanks to pawrick who clued in the Animals & Pets group.
    I volunteered for a Kildare rescue for a couple of years, walking and grooming basically before they moved to the south. I felt awfully bad for those dogs which were mostly greyhounds and collie-crosses. I don't think farmers neuter their dogs very often.

Sorry, a lot of questions:

Do you think the state should mandate and pay for or contribute to neutering of most dogs, both male & female? The Scandinavian model springs to mind.

'Designer' crossbreeds are currently sneered at by some of those who consider themselves 'real' dog-people, but there is a demand for them and it's nothing new. After all, golden retrievers were bred originally from various crosses and back-breeding. Instead of slamming back-yard breeders, do you think it better to licence such breeders provided they had health checked both parents from nose to tail? It would make puppy-farmers' costs go through the roof.

It's now possible to find a dog's genetic material in its poop. Should all dogs be genotyped so that dog waste can be traced back to the owner?

What info should a dog carry on its collar? eg, should the authorities issue a 5-year licence with a metal tag for checking by wardens and abolish the one-year ones that most people stick in a drawer?

Thanks again!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No question just want to thank you- and all the other dedicated Rescuers- for the amazing job you do. I am involved but in the peripheries as I think I would end up doing jail if directly involved.
    We do have 4 rescues - from 3 different Rescue Groups - and like to pay it back anyway we can.

And to anyone worried about getting a rescue - ours go from a 'free to good home' who was later found dumped to a (was a) long-term foster with a potentially fatal medical condition (all fixed now) to a dumped in a woods while deathly ill from being overbred to a starving stray.
    They each have their own personalities. They are not 'broken' in any way. They are four happy, healthy, dogs who cause us waaay less pains the the hole than our one not rescue dog.
    Like any dog if you are clear about what is expected they respond. If you pay attention they will tell you what they like and what makes them uncomfortable. Firmness and kindness. Routine and Fun. Affection and Feeding. Just like non-rescues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

When giving a dog to someone do you educate them about their responsibility of keeping it under control? Especially in the countryside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don't have any questions, but just to say thanks for the work you do.
    My first dog was a pound rescue at 10wks old, and she lived happily with us for 15 1/2 years before she passed. We've recently adopted a new puppy, a spaniel/setter cross. He's about 9 mths now, my vet recommends waiting until he's a year old before neutering. He is an amazing bundle of energy, and it's unreal to think of the hole that was left in our house in the months between having a dog around.

I think we will probably go down the line of fostering other dogs once he's neutered, as he seems to thrive in the company of other dogs.

Keep up the excellent work you are doing, thank you.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all these!

Since you mentioned collies and lurchers... where do they all come from, and why on earth are there so many of them?

We complain about puppy farms (and I agree we should ban them) but the small fluffies seem to rarely end up in pounds and when they do they are easily rehomed. Off the top of my head, I've had maybe 2 collies, 2 colliexlurchers and 5 lurcher fosters in my house over the past few years. Maybe one terrier. The pounds seem rife with collies and lurchers.

I don't mean this to be a loaded question, but who on earth is breeding them? They're hardly being churned out of puppy farms. Is it all mistakes/people simply not neutering their dogs?

Phew! I'm back... long day :o
    Hi Choc Chip... Where do all the collies and lurchers come from?
    I *think* we're looking at two different main avenues, one for each breed, broadly speaking.
    With Collies, without a doubt, it's mainly indiscriminate, uncontrolled breeding... unneutered rural dogs let road to pollinate other unneutered rural dogs. So, most, in my opinion, are the result of unplanned litters. Rescues are generally stuffed with collies, and collie crosses.
    With lurchers, I feel the overpopulation is more deliberate. They are largely being purposely bred to work, whether that's for lamping or coursing (the latter being illegal outside of the coursing field), foxes/rabbits/hares. To get a few good dogs, you've gotta produce a lot of dogs, that's just the way it is with biology! So, there's a lot of breeding, but a concurrent trend of disposibility with dogs that don't make the grade.
    So, you're right, they certainly aren't being produced by the cute 'n' fluffy producers on puppy farms and back yard breeders.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement