Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another air to water heat pump question.

Options
  • 03-07-2019 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are in the process of purchasing an 1850's terrace. The property has had a fairly significant renovation in recent years and now sits at BER C2. In the advisory report the roof insulation can be improved greatly, this shouldn't be a problem as we are installing a solar roof (probably with battery storage) and will have direct access to this area. The heating system in the house however is a stanley range, this heats water and rads. It is quite inefficient at less than 80% but greater than 70%.

All chimneys are sealed with stoves, all windows are upgraded timber sash, floors are suspended but are sealed?? Ideally we will install a MHRV system too during our works, main reason for this is as it is an old house and has been sealed up we dont want to see any damp issues like mould etc. We want to move away from fossil fuels for heating and electricity.

So boards, is this worth our while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Are you using the Tesla solar tiles or a different system? How much is it costing you by the way.

Sorry I'm no help with your actualy question but am in the process of buying a house thats circa 1900's and am very interested in energy efficient updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

Hey, thanks for the reply. We are using a new system to Ireland. its called Nulok roofing. Hope to start works in September of this year so I can let you know how it goes when installed. I'm not a big fan of the on roof systems, I'm sure they are great but I prefer the tile replacement jobs.

If you want to know more I can point you in the direction of the supplier / fitters. via DM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yes, thank you, a DM would be great.

We've just found out that the roof covering needs immediate replacement, and were going to do new felt, with insulation and slate tiles but this sounds interesting! Like yourself, I think panels look terrible stuck on to roofs, especially with character properties. Trying to knock the vendor back on his pricing now as this is unexpected work so we've a way to go yet but I'd be very interested to follow your experience.

Do SEAI grants give anything towards this approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭realmoonunit

Sure thing I'll send you a dm with the contact details. If your roof needs doing then this is probably the best way to go tbh. That system actually calls for new batons so if you are going down to felt level it could be the perfect fit for you. I will keep this thread updated or start a new one... Not sure as I was looking for opinion on the heat pump issue! LOL

We are looking at a 14kw pump, solar roof w battery storage which will probably become redundant if the sell to grid passes. and the MHRV. Oh and getting the roof line insulation sorted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Moved to heating & plumbing.

New forum charter applies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement