Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nest Heating Thermostat

• 18-05-2014 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭

While wandering around B&Q in Swords, came across a Nest Stat display, top of row going right from the main door and opposite the fires etc. Looked cool and was priced at 230 which with 20% off was 190. As I have Tado I was not interested but brother decided to buy. No stock but said they would have in on Thursday so he paid 190 today as 20% offer ends Tuesday. Seems like great price as 170 sterling on Amazon so for anyone interested, not a bad deal in my view.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Not interested in the Nest but handy to know there's 20% off.. cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

I'm sure the birds will be delighted you can now get nest heaters....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I don't understand this. I have a thermostat in the house for my radiators, but I've never ever changed it. I don't understand why you would be constantly changing temperatures. Set and forget, no? It is not like I even have the heating on often.

Or, have I got this whole idea wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I don't understand this. I have a thermostat in the house for my radiators, but I've never ever changed it. I don't understand why you would be constantly changing temperatures. Set and forget, no? It is not like I even have the heating on often.

Or, have I got this whole idea wrong?

You adjust it for the first few weeks to your temperature liking, and it learns your preferences accordingly. You can also remotely set the temperature and monitor usage - it's an expensive device but 1oC of a difference in temp can equate to a decent saving.

It can also detect when your away from home and regulate the heating accordingly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

thanks - didn't realise they were now selling in ireland.

we have thermostats in the house as well but even the electrician who installed them wasn't over convinced that they were any good - apparently the nest is far more accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

fulhamfan wrote: »
    While wandering around B&Q in Swords, came across a Nest Stat display, top of row going right from the main door and opposite the fires etc. Looked cool and was priced at 230 which with 20% off was 190. As I have Tado I was not interested but brother decided to buy. No stock but said they would have in on Thursday so he paid 190 today as 20% offer ends Tuesday. Seems like great price as 170 sterling on Amazon so for anyone interested, not a bad deal in my view.
    Are there any installers who will put them in right here? I know they've added an extra controller to the Nest for the UK market (since we don't all have Central Heating / Air Con like they do in the US) - what does that do for it, or where would you place the Nest and the controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Does anyone know if Nest will handle your hotwater?
    Have a combi boiler that does both in the house and was fairly sure that nest would only do the heat and I'd still need a controller for the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Nest thermostat is not compatible with Opentherm so basically only turns the heating on and off.

Not a great solution for European boilers at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

Nest thermostat is not compatible with Opentherm so basically only turns the heating on and off.

Not a great solution for European boilers at the moment.

Yeah that's what I figured. It's really not going to be much use for what I'm assuming the majority of systems in Europe do.
    Pity, lovely looking piece of kit and a great idea, just not suitable for the majority of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Ok just in nest defence, please don't say not suitable for European boilers, I'm no expert but fairly sure that the hot/water heating systems on the continent don't work like uk/Ireland. When I first moved here I actually laughed when someone told me not to drink water form any tap but the kitchen one as the rest was fed by a tank, surely that was a joke. Turns out it wasn't... The common gravity fed/hot water storage tank is an unbelievable inefficient and outdated system.
    Most -European- countries I know the mains to your home are pressurised and so is your system. No need for storage/gravity as he pressure on the 3rd floor will be more then we get on ground floor. So there's no need for a "hot water solution", it's heated on demand.
    Further I don't think a thermostat is used here as it should be (also still surprised it's mostly in the hall or absent completely).
    Heating system; always on/stby, combined thermostat/time clock. Certain temperatures required a different times so heating will control to temperatures you pre-set. Night cool, morning warm, day (away) cool, come home/evening warm. No manual controlling (turning on off required) also doesn't matter how/hot cold it is outside). This is not new/recent technology either, I can't remember not having a system like this since I was a child. All that nest does is make it smarter/programs itself and is accessible remotely (although plenty of systems could do that already). Quite useful just not entirely compatible with outdated systems....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you have a zoned system you need 1 nest for each zone.

If the climote had no subscription I would say its better, but it does so it's not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Can you control built-in electric heaters or an air conditioner with a nest thermostat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Google are selling these now. I have to admit I'm totally baffled by what these do. I'm getting old.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 caseygkcg

After looking at a few of these products including Nest and climote I bought a device from heatmiser(.co.uk). Controls heat and water as separate zones via wifi app. Had an issue initially and their customer service were quick to resolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

flyguy wrote: »
    Ok just in nest defence, please don't say not suitable for European boilers, I'm no expert but fairly sure that the hot/water heating systems on the continent don't work like uk/Ireland. When I first moved here I actually laughed when someone told me not to drink water form any tap but the kitchen one as the rest was fed by a tank, surely that was a joke. Turns out it wasn't... The common gravity fed/hot water storage tank is an unbelievable inefficient and outdated system.
    Most -European- countries I know the mains to your home are pressurised and so is your system. No need for storage/gravity as he pressure on the 3rd floor will be more then we get on ground floor. So there's no need for a "hot water solution", it's heated on demand.
    Further I don't think a thermostat is used here as it should be (also still surprised it's mostly in the hall or absent completely).
    Heating system; always on/stby, combined thermostat/time clock. Certain temperatures required a different times so heating will control to temperatures you pre-set. Night cool, morning warm, day (away) cool, come home/evening warm. No manual controlling (turning on off required) also doesn't matter how/hot cold it is outside). This is not new/recent technology either, I can't remember not having a system like this since I was a child. All that nest does is make it smarter/programs itself and is accessible remotely (although plenty of systems could do that already). Quite useful just not entirely compatible with outdated systems....

It will work but you have to rig it to turn the boiler on or off at maximum.

Actually the nest should work fine on old boilers.

The boilers in the UK are the same boilers they sell here in the Netherlands e.g. Rehema.

There's a dutch guy that details how it works here:
    http://otgw.tclcode.com/otmonitor.html

Opentherm allows you to control the boiler depending on the conditions, the Nest cannot do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 alig

caseygkcg wrote: »
    After looking at a few of these products including Nest and climote I bought a device from heatmiser(.co.uk). Controls heat and water as separate zones via wifi app. Had an issue initially and their customer service were quick to resolve.

Would you mind telling me what model you bought?

I recently bought a boiler service from Airtricity as they included one from Heatmaster as a sweetener in the offer but the installer said he couldn't install it because I was heating my water and my tank has a separate thermostat which shuts off the boiler at at a specific heat. I thought was fairly standard but apparently not. I'm just looking for something I can control remotely.

Advertisement