Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite mma moment?

Options
  • 25-03-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭

What's your favourite mma moment?
    It can be anything at all from your favourite fighter winning a fight, to a funny moment, or just something that made you say "Holy Shít!"

There's so many to choose from for me and I can't think of them all right now but a few off the top of my head would be....
      When Anderson Silva pulled off that triangle on Sonnen. That was a surreal moment after seeing him get his arse handed to him for 5 rounds. Unbelievable stuff.
      Seeing Frankie Edgar get dropped and very nearly finished in the first (10-8) round against Gray Maynard. I'm a big Edgar fan and it had me screaming at the tv. To see him come back from that and continue on in an amazing fight was unreal. Edge of your seat stuff.
      Shogun v Hendo. No matter what people say about it being 2 "past it" fighters in a slug-fest, it will still go down as one of my favourite fights of all time. It was crazy back and forth stuff and it could've ended in a KO for either guy at any minute.
      Barbozas headkick KO of Terry Etim. That was just crazy and came out of nowhere. I think the whole mma world said Holy Shít at the same time that night!
      When Conor McGregor beat Dave Hill. I was there that night and the atmosphere was incredible. I haven't experienced anything like it before or since. The roof nearly came off the Helix that night and everyone in the place was out of their seats. It was like when José Aldo ran into the crowd after his fight against Chad Mendes in Brazil. Incredible atmosphere.

I'm sure there's a million more moments I'm forgetting about but that's all I can think of at the minute!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Definitely agree with the Shogun vs. Hendo fight, an absolute war no matter how old they are.

Have to include with Jose Aldo knee with less than 5 seconds left on the round, and the running into the crowd for ages! Chills thinking about that, and it happened to be on the same Rio dayyyy Janeiro card as Barboza :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭EvanCornwallis

Favourite moment was when Nog beat Cro Cop.

There have been so many holy **** moments.

Sapp Pile driving Nog, Eastman's cut from Vitor, Saku snaping Renzo's arm, Sims stopping Mir, Aoki's Hammerlock.

Funniest has to be Heath Herring letting the world know he's not gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

oldish ones off the top of the head

Randy knockin down big Tim

Chuck destroying a cowering Tito against the cage back when I really hated Tito

BJ choking Hughes for welter title

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Hendo H bombing bisping is right up there for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

I agree with every one in El Guapo's post except for the McGregor one as I'm afraid I haven't seen that yet

Few off the top of my head:

Dan Henderson stopping Fedor, was completely behind Henderson. I thought the timing was perfect for him and had a bet on him by the KO as I thought he was over-priced. Fedor floors him with strikes early, Hendo recovers, scrambles, soon he has Fedor's back and buckles the last emperor and Herb Dean comes in to wave him off and stop the fight.

Mark Hunt & Wand a few weeks ago - Fúcking hell, considered both underdogs and they proved me wrong in the best possible way there is. Back and forth wars in their own way, two Pride era fighters slug it out with younger, probably favoured opponents and both finish them in a style befitting the old Japanese wars of Pride FC. Classic, nostalgia inducing fight. Two that will stick out in memory.

Cain vs JDS II - Was devastated for Cain in the first fight but always believed he had it in him to take JDS if he could impose his will. Dominated the champ in a way that is rarely seen at such a high level. The relentless determination of the Mexican and the unquestionable heart of the Brazilian make this fight a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

The whole Dream Lightweight tournament, that ran over the first 5 events, was fantastic. Mainly the Alvarez-Hansen and Alvarez-Kawajiri fights, and then for Hansen to upset Aoki in the final as a replacement was amazing! Pure drama from start to finish.

Fedor-Arlovski.

Shogun-Machida II

Cain making Lesnar breakdance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Kev M

I've had 'holy ****' moments in most of Anderson's fights in the UFC, basically out of just being in awe of how easy he can make it look.

Also the recent Wanderlei vs. Stann was unreal. As someone posted above a real throwback to Pride and it was great to see the old veteran get the better of the favoured new generation guy. Great fight.

Fedor vs. Brett Rogers is a KO that I won't forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Always thought the moment when Hughes was nearly chocked out by Trigg to then picking him up, running across the octogan and slamming him down was brilliant.

Has to be up there, looks great amongst the Baba O'Riley montage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Randy knockin down big Tim

And to think Timmeh was the man back then.

Didn't he think he going into the 3rd in the 5th
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Fedor_Emelianenko_vs_HongMan_Choi_1000347.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Pettis' ninja kick of the cage was pretty magic too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

UFC 116 - Leben & Akiyama in the co-main event, which was an absolute war on feet and on the ground. Then Lesnar coming back against Carwin in the main event. Two great fights back to back.

If I am remember rightly we had a contender for fight of the year that night on the mma forum.

UFC 93 - Don't need to say much, card wasn't too exciting but we got to see some great fighters such as Shogun, Hendo, Kampmann, and Franklin. Atmosphere was brilliant but it wasn't anything compared to Dunne / Cordoba though.

UFC 75 - Davis / Taylor great fight

UFC 132 - The card was just a great card

Now seeing Mc Gregor & Parke getting into the UFC has got to go up there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Have a few fav moments

In no particular order

Wandy Knocking out Dampage in Pride, their second meeting, that was probably my fav ever moment

Hendo knocking out Bisping, kissing his fist then dropping another bomb on him

Conor beating Hill at The Helix, was there wit a few mates (incl el guapo), that was something else.

Winning the UFC Fight Club Backstage Comp for UFC93, goin backstage for weigh ins and before fights, was pretty cool

UFC80, Great card, great fights, and stayed in same hotel as fighters (Hilton), in the bar after the fights and was like a who's who of MMA, next morning had breakfast at same table as Fabricio Werdum and his hot wife, really nice couple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

• Mcgregors two world titles
    • Fadipe KO'ing Darragh Kennedy after gettin the face jabbed off him for 20 seconds
    • Tommy Martins flying triangle at battlezone
    • Holahan's comback against Siteinkov
    • Rimas Pukas' KO against Hormanski (Hormanski ran nearly the full length of the cage straight into a left hook)
    • Greg Loughran's return to Irish turf after most people (myself included) assumed he'd never be back over (Anaconda choke vs Begley)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Just recently, loved Bigfoot knocking out Overeem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Marquardt's KO of Maia
    Gonzaga's KO of Cro Cop
    Mir's submission over Nogueira

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

From events I've been at McGregor choking out Hill and Hendo Ko'ing Fedor. Incredible atmosphere at both and such Holy **** moments.

Overall though I reckon Anderson against Vitor probably my favourite. The hip feint to set it up; it was when Silva was still under criticisims from Maia and Lates fight and we were a minute of circuling into the fight and I just began thinking Jesus this could be a long oul fight to watch when the kick landed.

Also seeing Lidell get knocked out by Franklin and knowing that was his last time ever to fight. They put a camera on him backstage after the fight which I don't think I've ever seen like that. Got a bit emotional as he was the first of the fighters who got me watching the sport to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Serra knocking out GSP was a pretty unreal moment.

Randy catching big Tim was pretty awesome too.

Gonzales head kick to Cro-Cop was mad as well.

I like the big upsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oc_pl

My first fight. My original opponent pulled out and i agreed to fight a guy that had 10 fights, subbed him in the 2nd round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

nice one... what you get him with?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭oc_pl

Arm bar, back in 2004 i think, in belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

the whole anderson silva v forrest griffin fight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

paddythere wrote: »
    the whole anderson silva v forrest griffin fight

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Although Anderson is amazing in the forrest / all fights, the forrest knockout was so embarrassing it was like a complete mismatch and i cringe everytime i see it.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

Watching Bonner and Griffen go at in in tuf finale was ffffing awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

GSP making Hughes shout 'Tap! Tap! Tap!'

Machida knocking about Rashad.

Hazelett armbar on Josh Burkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Loved Vitors KO of Wanderlei, back then Vitor was like the Tyson of MMA!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

00benski wrote: »
    Watching Bonner and Griffen go at in in tuf finale was ffffing awesome.

I've gone and downloaded bought Season 1 of TUF. Can't wait to get to the last ep again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seeing BJ sitting in his corner just before his fight with GSP was stopped, not having a clue where he was or what was going on. I know fighters trash talk to sell a fight but Penn seemed to believe a lot of what he was saying, and just couldn't back it up. The whole 'cheating' accusations that came out after the fight were pathetic.

Shogun Vs Machida II.

Shogun Vs Henderson has already been mentioned, but I love this picture...

390799_10150372112306345_35067391344_8558743_1339693227_n.jpg

Advertisement