Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest electricity provider in ROI?

Options
  • 07-12-2011 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭

With prices set to rise in years to come, I'd like to shop around for a cheaper electricity provider. I am currently with the ESB. I would love to switch to a renewable energy provider, especially if they are cheaper than ESB.

Anyone aware of any comparison sites? All tips welcome! Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

esperanza1 wrote: »
    With prices set to rise in years to come, I'd like to shop around for a cheaper electricity provider. I am currently with the ESB. I would love to switch to a renewable energy provider, especially if they are cheaper than ESB.

Anyone aware of any comparison sites? All tips welcome! Cheers!

All company's feed in to the same grid, you cant have a supply from just renewable source unless you have a turbine yourself. Airtricity is no more renewable than the other, despite of its name or logo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Davy wrote: »
    All company's feed in to the same grid, you cant have a supply from just renewable source unless you have a turbine yourself. Airtricity is no more renewable than the other, despite of its name or logo

Just becuase your sharing the Grid doesn't mean the Renewable provider doesnt have more money to invest in Generation :)

All renewable energy requires a non renewable source.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Just becuase your sharing the Grid doesn't mean the Renewable provider doesnt have more money to invest in Generation :)

I never said that can't be case, my point is that you can't switch to a certain provider to get only renewable power. It is consumer issues not sustainability after all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭esperanza1

I never said that can't be case, my point is that you can't switch to a certain provider to get only renewable power. It is consumer issues not sustainability after all

Sustainability is a consumer issue ! one of the biggest in our modern society, in fact. Thanks for your tips. Both Airtricity and Bord Gais are cheaper for me than ESB. Bye, bye ESB!!

esperanza1 wrote: »
    Sustainability is a consumer issue !

I was talking about the forum:> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=109

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Bonkers is only a guide at best.

I'm with Bord Gais, I filled in my info 3ish weeks ago and first result back was €98 cheaper with....Bord Gais:confused: fired off an e-mail to them to switch to this other Tariff ANDDDDDDD they told me I couldn't.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You sign up to a provider for Energy and pay them per kilowatt hour, hence you've switched to a renewable energy provider, if theres someone generating power with Gas Fired turbine or Coal on the same grid its irrelevant.

Consumer wise your paying the cash to the Energy Provider (which covers the cost for the TSO as well) its not like the electricity is a different colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement