Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Prospects 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

well it's reasonably clear over dublin now but i'd doubt we'll see it here or I could be wrong ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

zenno wrote: »
    well it's reasonably clear over dublin now but i'd doubt we'll see it here or I could be wrong ?.

KP 7.33 now, maybe if you headed somewhere dark on the edge of the dublin hill with a view to the north there could be a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

muckish wrote: »
    Current KP value is 7, which should produce visible aurorae over the Northern half of Ireland. So if the skies clear tonight have a look out to the north. 66% of aurora at mid latitudes.
    http://www.spaceweatherlive.com/index.php?poollicht&lang=EN

Ye're getting all the action up north these days, hopefully that trend will change for winter :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Lots of breaks in the cloud here all evening so might have a look later if I get the chance, haven't got a glimpse of them in years

fizzycyst wrote: »
    Ye're getting all the action up north these days, hopefully that trend will change for winter :)

It's a great place to live!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Interesting few days ahead, these are the first of several CME's incoming, latter ones mostly glancing blows...I hope clear skies for ye Northern areas...so long as your share you storm monday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

another site here http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/2011/09/09/3

click on the top right of page to get the latest ..

looking good. (if only we could have a bit of clear sky )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

All cloudy here I'm afraid.

check out the Katla cam in Iceland the Aurora are shing through :)
    Lighting up the whole sky at times, one came through as bright as the sun. Stunning

http://www.ruv.is/katla

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

In iceland on holidays since last saturday. Have had two strongs nights of northern lights so far. Took loads of photos so will post to flickr when i get back. Its clear skies again today so looking good again tonight. Last night it started at 9 and was bright enough to be seen very clear under street lights in Vik. Sun is setting now in an ash dust haze but its clear skies on the west - east line overhead where we seem to get strong streaks. Mainly green with a hint of red in places.

• Advertisement

Solyad wrote: »
    . Mainly green with a hint of red in places.

Mainly green with envy! Clouds damn clouds.

Strong aurora overhead right now. Green swirls and long curtain formations. Cold but very clear tonight. Like other nights starting in a north west direction.

Can see it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Strong aurora overhead right now. Green swirls and long curtain formations. Cold but very clear tonight. Like other nights starting in a north west direction.

Looking out, but can't see much here in Corrandulla area. Disappointed, would love to get a glimpse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Looking out, but can't see much here in Corrandulla area. Disappointed, would love to get a glimpse!

That poster is on holidays in Iceland despite their location saying Galway, it's mentioned further up the thread!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

That poster is on holidays in Iceland despite their location saying Galway, it's mentioned further up the thread!!!

Well that clears that up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Sorry to the poster who thought i was in Galway...

Anyway last nights lights were amazing. Huge arching bright green swirls dancing and filling in the sky. I was amazed how fast they moved. Very little red but some deep blue and purple light but mainly neon green. Think this is it now. Its clouded over and i see on spaceweather the kp values are dropping off the peak highs.

Got loads of photos again. It was still going when i hit the hay. Was out for three hours but the cold eventually won.

Ill post photos in a week when i get back. Currently staying near eaja... Eya... ah the Big E volcano... I wont attempt to spell it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

Sorry to the poster who thought i was in Galway...
    . Currently staying near eaja... Eya... ah the Big E volcano... I wont attempt to spell it;)

I was wondering myself. nothing but cloud here all last night .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Kp-6 at the minute so anyone up north head out and check. Probably cloudy as usual though.

• Advertisement

Last night in iceland. We got two mild and one very strong displays mid week. Had a clear night thursday but nothing at all. Tonight in reykjavik is cloudy. You see prints and photos everywhere here of northern lights and some of the pictures are jaw dropping

lolie wrote: »
    Kp-6 at the minute so anyone up north head out and check. Probably cloudy as usual though.

Yep, cloudy as usual!

6163949571_0fe2359d24_z.jpg
    Northern Lights, Hotel Anna, Iceland by Solyad, on Flickr

4 sets up on flickr, works well as slideshows since the black background is much better for viewing them. Got 320 photos in total over 6 nights so these are samples... this is my overall fav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

That looks amazing, would love to go north and see a good show sometime.

Amazing clip of the Auroras taken from the ISS over the Indian ocean on spaceweather.com

http://spaceweather.com/

http://spaceweather.com/swpod2011/22sep11/media.mp4

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Kp of 8 in 25 mins, not sure what it would have to be to be seen from Ireland, but an 8 Kp is very strong. Only saw it once from Ireland years ago, would love to see it again... Any experts here?

http://www.softservenews.com/aurora.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Kp above 9Kp

We should see aurora if sky can clear.

Sun is going crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Kp above 9Kp

We should see aurora if sky can clear.

Sun is going crazy

What time? How long does it take for solar particles to reach us?

Last night's sky was crystal clear. Tonight it's pouring down. Fecking typical.
    Sunspot 1302 is really crackling at the moment. Will be an interesting next few nights and hopefully will get a break in the sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

To think this impact wasn't even very geofective shows the power of an Xflare...hope 1302 throws a few more in the coming days.

Edit: It's actually pretty clear here...may aswell have a sconce from the roof.

Edit 2: Yeah, near perfect clear night, bit of cloud to the west. Athy is still too awake....orange sky to the north, I'd need a total beast of a flare to create aurora's that pierce further up the sky. I may get onto the council to turn the street lights off for me whenever the sun is in action ;)

Advertisement