Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deposit

Options
  • 07-12-2011 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

I knew this would happen..... :(

anyway, we moved out of our rented acc last Wednesday 30/11/11. The LL came and checked the place out, said everything was perfect, we were good tenents and if we needed a place again she'd love to have us back.

When asked for the deposit the LL said she would put it in my bank acc on Thursday 1/12/11 as she wanted there to be proof it was paid back, I was fine with that. Checked account Friday, no money. Waited till Saturday morning (thought it might go through at midnight) and nothing so I text her. Reply was, "oops I forgot, will do it online now". Checked Monday, no money so text her again Monday night, her reply

1. "I did it online earlier"

2. "just reading online, it won't go in till midnight"

3. "actually online didn't accept it, I'll go to the bank tomorrow"

So getting a bit pîssed off but thought ok, hopefully hve it Tuesday, checked yesterday and today and still nothing... I'm not sure of th LL is a bit dozy or I she is up to something.

How long should I wait before registering a complaint? I don't even think she is with PRTB, our address wasn't list on the site and we never recieved anything from them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Write her a letter, be polite but firm, inform her you want the deposit back by "x" date and failure to return the deposit will force your hand to bring a case to the PRTB for unjustifiably withholding your deposit. It doesn't matter to you if she has not registered the tenancy with the PRTB they will still take your case, but it will matter to your landlord because if she is not registered she'll get slapped with huge fines etc from the PRTB and the Revenue may well be interested in her also.

I hope you took pictures etc to prove that the house was clean and in a good state of repair on your departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

No, no pictures, I thought all was good when we were leaving, she was happy, we were happy, didn't see the need, now i do

I tx at about 4 today an tried to call her a few
    minutes ago, no reply or answer :(

the only address I have for here is the house we stayed in, I've no idea where she lives, also what do I need to include when registering a complaint with PRTB? I'll give her till Friday I suppose, hopefully it's just a mistake/her being lazy

If you don't have an address for her, send it by text message and put a delivery report on it so you know for sure she has read it. Save the text and delivery report for future reference with the PRTB

As for the PRTB, I would start by finding out if she is registered with them. Check out their FAQ here:

https://www.prtb.ie/faq.aspx

If it gets to the point that your bring a dispute against her, you will need to fill out some forms from the PRTB. They are all pretty self explanatory.

Good luck, the best advise I can give about the PRTB is to put everything in writing and keep the paper trail, or if not possible an electronic trail, have your facts and dates etc correct, and keep everything professional. But hopefully a gentle push will make her realise that she needs to cough up the deposit before it even gets to the PRTB stage. That said I would register the dispute sooner rather than later, as when I brought my case to them it took 9 months to be resolved and another 3 months before I actually got the money back.

Thanks for the advice :) I sent a messege last night stating that she was leaving me no option but to make a formal complaint, she still hasn't answered or tx back but... Money came through in the last hour or so :)

Thanks again!!

Good news, glad it worked out for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

IPAM wrote: »
    I knew this would happen..... :(

anyway, we moved out of our rented acc last Wednesday 30/11/11. The LL came and checked the place out, said everything was perfect, we were good tenents and if we needed a place again she'd love to have us back.

When asked for the deposit the LL said she would put it in my bank acc on Thursday 1/12/11 as she wanted there to be proof it was paid back, I was fine with that. Checked account Friday, no money. Waited till Saturday morning (thought it might go through at midnight) and nothing so I text her. Reply was, "oops I forgot, will do it online now". Checked Monday, no money so text her again Monday night, her reply

1. "I did it online earlier"

2. "just reading online, it won't go in till midnight"

3. "actually online didn't accept it, I'll go to the bank tomorrow"

So getting a bit pîssed off but thought ok, hopefully hve it Tuesday, checked yesterday and today and still nothing... I'm not sure of th LL is a bit dozy or I she is up to something.

How long should I wait before registering a complaint? I don't even think she is with PRTB, our address wasn't list on the site and we never recieved anything from them

Wow - you had to wait a hole 8 days to get your deposit back - poor you.

If you are a week late with your rent in the future would you think it reasonable to be evicted?

Way to go...

I was told it would be in on the 1st, if she said the 8th that would be fine. When someone tells me they put money in my account but actually haven't I get worried, when some turns their phone off, stops taking calls and replying to texts I get worried. I would have no problem waiting a month for a deposit if I was told that's when I would get it

we had other problems like her telling us she would get taps fixed (no cold water in kitchen), after 6 months nothing, when she stopped taking my calls I thought something was up and came here for advice, nothing more nothing less

Mods can close this if they wish

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Wow - you had to wait a hole 8 days to get your deposit back - poor you.

If you are a week late with your rent in the future would you think it reasonable to be evicted?
    It's illegal to evict someone after just 8 days arrears so no. I'd think it entirely reasonable to get a written notice of arrears which is the first step in the eviction process though.

Especially if I was trying on lame "the dog ate the cheque which was in the post and then the bank returned it" excuses like the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

IPAM wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice :) I sent a messege last night stating that she was leaving me no option but to make a formal complaint, she still hasn't answered or tx back but... Money came through in the last hour or so :)

Thanks again!!
    well done!:)

Advertisement