Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have u gone to a pub and bought food just to have a pint

• 06-09-2020 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Has anybody gone into a pub / restaurant and ordered food just so you could have a few pints?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭HBC08

yep,been doing it since june 29th.Ive been out in maybe 10 places over a few different counties since then and had to buy food in all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,025 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

omega42 wrote: »
    Has anybody gone into a pub / restaurant and ordered food just so you could have a few pints?

Of course. I’m hardly going to the pub for the “cuisine”.

I’ve only ordered sandwiches, or a burger. Left a sandwich untouched in one “spot”, was only after the pints. Got it wrapped up and gave it to a homeless after.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yes, not remotely the same. Arbitrary nine euro figure is a joke. Get a seafood chowder with a side of onion rings, whet your thirst. Bollocks to it. Just want to relax at the bar with a pint and a natter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Not a chance. I'm not a multi millionaire and besides, it's far too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I've been out twice to the same establishment. Thankfully food was not a requirement in order to have a couple of pints

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Almost every pub is open where I am and purchasing food is not a requirement .
    My local has a few empty Pizza boxes on some tables , and fake food receipts on others .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Only been to a pub once since this whole thing started. Just had a serving of wings. I'll probably just wait for pubs to open before going again. I don't really eat in pubs generally. I just go to restaurants for food or a pub for drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DarTipp

I live in a small town so apart from 2 of the pubs the rest are all closed down, so I've been going to the 2 that are open since the reopening in june despite having to buy food before a drink , I think the other pubs will struggle to keep going much longer if they are not open soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I have been to a few but the whole experience is too sterile and stage managed for my liking. Just not worth it and not particularly enjoyable.

My local has a snooker hall however and if you are playing snooker you can get pints with no need to buy food. Private club rules apparently. So thats what I do at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Been 4 times, once to a well known hipster place in Dublin who insisted that we all pay €9 to eat before we even got a table, we eventually got a €14 pizza to share. (Mustachioed twat).

Been 3 times to a pub near me and have had to order a plate every time. All 3 of my locals are still shut, I don't know the bar staff, so I have to suck it up. In fairness, the barman recognised me and let us stay about 3 hours the last time on one plate of food. I can't fault the food, it's tasty and good value, but I'd never eat more than a couple of bags of crisps if I'm out for a few pints of stout. Full plate of food is too heavy along with the Guinness. Hopefully things will be back to normal next week, the local is quiet and has plenty of space out front, so social distancing isn't an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

We went to dinner in one local place a couple of weekends ago, but not really, no. I'm an evening pint-lofter, half-gallon aperitif before dinner - the local watering-hole is closed and I do not want crap food and worse beer, or to be reserving fuckin' tables, mind you, in the other dive down the road.

I have had some very good pints - Murphy's and Killarney Blonde - in a couple of decent restaurants in town lately, mind you.

Yes. Every time we go to the pub it's for a drink but we eat because we have no choice if we want a drink.

A good friend of mine is home from the UK. We haven't met up since last December and it will be next year before we see each other again.
    I have a table booked for us in a local pub. 1hr45 minutes. We'll go to Costa beforehand. Or maybe we will just stay in Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Could you ask for a vegan option and then if they don't have it drink away?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Yes last night, 4 drinks and a bit of pizza for soakage. Added bonus of live music too ( all wearing masks). Table service for the evening. Nice to be out but the day of craic in the pub is gone...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Nope, I'm actually sort of refusing to do this as I don't see the point in wasting money on food I don't want. Have been out a few times but was intending on having food then anyways.

Was up the North there last week and it was a different experience, if you wanted food you could stay inside but if you wanted just pints you had to go outside. Obviously not a runner in a lot of rural places here but was interesting to see it in action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Have had plenty pints but no Covid meal.

Like to have eaten before drinking pints.

Where are people having pints without having to eat food as well? My pm box is open :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Where are people having pints without having to eat food as well? My pm box is open :p

Probably an upstairs room in a pub which is serving food I'd imagine, I know of a few round here but couldn't be arsed going to them, the effort involved in getting home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Yes but sure the last time the fish n chips was nicer than the 2 pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Yes. Every time we go to the pub it's for a drink but we eat because we have no choice if we want a drink.

A good friend of mine is home from the UK. We haven't met up since last December and it will be next year before we see each other again.
    I have a table booked for us in a local pub. 1hr45 minutes. We'll go to Costa beforehand. Or maybe we will just stay in Costa.

Bring your own bottle of whiskey to Costa and have a rake of Irish Coffees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Joey321

Have not been to a pub since they reopened due to this €9 food supplement and will not go until it is taken away, I like to decide when I eat and not have it forced on me. Most likely causing people to stay away, then they want us to support local business, serious disconnect here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Been in a good few since they've opened back up. Pretty much all them serving just pints in the bar. No need for food. Just the oul lads drinking away.

It's seems to be in the lounge where they normally serve the food anyway is where they are asking that you purchase a meal.

That's round here anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

The Gardaí called to most pubs around here on Saturday night . Big provincial town.
    Had no interest in whether people were eating/ordering food , just checked customers were signed-in and contact details were recorded by the establishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Joey321 wrote: »
    Have not been to a pub since they reopened due to this €9 food supplement and will not go until it is taken away, I like to decide when I eat and not have it forced on me. Most likely causing people to stay away, then they want us to support local business, serious disconnect here.

The only disconnect here seems to be between your hand and your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

Went to a local village bar once, 9 euro toasted sandwich between two of us..not great, havent being back since...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

In the Netherlands where there is no time limit or food requirement.

So go to the pub whenever I want and have a feed of beer and sit wherever.

Advertisement