Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Public Order Unit

Options
2»

Comments

Tristram wrote: »
    Who are these people?!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057990439&page=211
    Long thread here if you are willing to lose time and braincells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057990439&page=211
    Long thread here if you are willing to lose time and braincells.

I have nowhere near enough brain cells left to waste time on a Gemma article

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Fill it with soapy water. It will help suppress the virus.

Excellent idea , some of them looked like they hadn't washed in a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

circadian wrote: »
    What if it's a group of R Kelly fanatics?

Sick ****s. Substitute piss for liquid faeces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Well done the Guards. Mill them out of it. Use the elbow, the wrist. Get in there my son!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

Yes they have regular duties and are on call for riot situations. Although in recent years they have been utilised a lot more for non-riot scenarios. For example patrolling Temple Bar and searches on large traveller encampments.

Regarding the protestors in Dublin. They should not even be allowed to gather in the first place during the Covid emergency. It is a waste of money having the Guards babysittng these clowns and an insult to those trying their best to follow the Covid guidelines.

They should be given a 5 minute warning to clear the area and those that remain should be baton charged off the streets. The regular guards would be well able to do it as they receive basic public order training and have done so in the past. That would send a message and reduce the risk of these 'protestors' spreading Covid. And is easier and less costly than trying to keep two sides apart as they had to do last week outside the Dail. That's how any large gathering by any group regardless of the reason should be dealt with during Covid Restrictions. Right to protest is no excuse at a time like this. If temporary legislation is needed then bring it in.This is too serious.

Our Govt don't have the spine for it but it's a much better use of Garda resources. After Covid people can protest again as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Why is everyone so obsessed with these protesters?

Not just protesters any large gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Why is everyone so obsessed with state violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gandalf wrote: »
    Great seeing them finally take these covidiots on. Hopefully they deal with these so called anti-maskers permanently like this from now onwards!

They should fine and arrest if won't pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Killinator wrote: »
    The Gardai standing on motorways are not trained public order members and there isn't enough trained public order members to maintain a constant presence so either way the Gardai on the motorway aren't effecting them either way

Either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

Either way?

The Gardai on the motorway are not effecting the number of public order members whether they are on the motorway or not

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tjdaly

However else you feel the need to characterise them, I think you'll find that these are political protests directed towards what a growing body of scientists and public figures consider to be unnecessary and harmful restrictions which are setting a dangerous precedence regarding people's civil liberties in society.

But no surprise to see a nasty strain of classism mixed in with the usual grubby cheerleading for authoritarian crackdowns from the lazy armchair warriors on here who would likely never be brave enough to protest anything for fear of embarrassment, and instead prefer to snipe from the sidelines like the pathetic dopey useful idiot nobodies that they are.

You sound like a real hero. Fair play. I have attended protests. I have even taken Annual Leave from work to do so. Not just because I had nothing better to do. But now is not the time when we are sacrificing so much. We don't need idiots reducing the chances of success of these rolling lockdowns. Which for me is keeping our hospitals functioning in the short term. I have no interest in a police state and would protest against one. But I would have no issue with the Guards clearing the streets of any protesters for any cause or from any class while we are under these restrictions. In fact I wish they would rather than wasting money and time facilitating their antics. That includes Yellow Vest, BLM protestors or whatever. Not only protestors but any large gathering such as GAA or Rugby Supporters.

When we are out of restrictions they can protest away.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

tjdaly wrote: »
    However else you feel the need to characterise them, I think you'll find that these are political protests directed towards what a growing body of scientists and public figures consider to be unnecessary and harmful restrictions which are setting a dangerous precedence regarding people's civil liberties in society.

Who are these people??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Zebra3 wrote: »

People are angry and want heads cracked open.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

tjdaly wrote: »

But no surprise to see a nasty strain of classism mixed in with the usual grubby cheerleading for authoritarian crackdowns from the lazy armchair warriors on here who would likely never be brave enough to protest anything for fear of embarrassment, and instead prefer to snipe from the sidelines like the pathetic dopey useful idiot nobodies that they are.

Wipe the dirtbirds off the street

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Imagine a car used for spare parts, various parts missing etc... This is the best way to describe the regular unit in the Garda and this unit at a guess does about 80/85% of the daily workload.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Why is the Garda Public Order Unit not deployed a lot more often to deal with these nuisance protesters who have nothing better to be at. I mean the troublesome protesters like she who shall not be named and all the other Muppets who shout peaceful protest and try to involve the constitution at every opportunity even though none of them have a clue about what the constitution actually means? If I were in charge I'd release the Public Order Unit every day until these malcontents get the hint.

Well if they didn't stop the BLM protestors then they shouldn't really stop these ones either...

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

I’d say an overuse of the public order unit may also hurt the image of your local community Garda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Zebra3 wrote: »

Are you suggesting vigilantism instead? Excellent.

Either way, thrash them to within an inch of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Drew Harris is doing a top class job as Garda Commissioner so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Drew Harris is doing a top class job as Garda Commissioner so far.

Meh, he's very slow to tackle the great unwashed and she who shall not be named

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hilarious that they had their battle in the window of a Victoria Secret shop! Out nations founders must be turning in their republican plots!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I’d say an overuse of the public order unit may also hurt the image of your local community Garda

Most of us can differentiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Edgware wrote: »
    Wipe the dirtbirds off the street
    People are angry and want heads cracked open.
    An Ri rua wrote: »
    Are you suggesting vigilantism instead? Excellent.

Either way, thrash them to within an inch of their lives.

Have ye lads considered moving to Putin's Russia? You'd fit in well there.

That response would be the best recruiting exercise possible for these campaigns.
    No worse than the ‘BLM’ protests at the height of the first lockdown.

Yes indeed, apart from the large amounts of street violence and the large number of arrests and the inciting to break public health guidelines, it's almost exactly the same thing.

Advertisement