Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor sighting

Options
  • 10-10-2020 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

I just witnessed a meteor explode over ireland (probably)

i seen it out of my window looking to the south west has anyone else witness this ?

it was very bright as I looked up from my phone (in a dark room) when it happened

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

fergus1001 wrote: »
    I just witnessed a meteor explode over ireland (probably)

i seen it out of my window looking to the south west has anyone else witness this ?

it was very bright as I looked up from my phone (in a dark room) when it happened

I did not but magazine@astronomy.ie (Astronomy Ireland) with the details. Draconids meteor showing is this week peaked on Wednesday. There was a similar sighting over mexico a few days ago. https://earthsky.org/todays-image/video-photos-bright-fireball-northeastern-mexico

Generally whatever height it was would place it around a 500km radius within that sighting. If it was low on the horizon it could be landing out at sea. If it starts out high and disappears it has potential to be over land which can be tracked and retrieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Generally whatever height it was would place it around a 500km radius within that sighting. If it was low on the horizon it could be landing out at sea. If it starts out high and disappears it has potential to be over land which can be tracked and retrieved.

this was very low on the horizon and very bright that's why it caught my attention

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Last night (12 oct 2020) at 11:56pm , I saw a meteorite or something similar in the sky, in the north west direction. It was like a fireball tru the sky.
    Trajectory was East to West approx. An incredible sight.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement