Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What jobs do luxury watch collectors have?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

I havea few watches(4) with the most expensive being 480€

I work in IT and earn good money.

If I put my mind to it I could probably savea good bit for a watch but there's always something else to spend themoney on.

For me my pinacle would to own a rolex hulk but highly unlikely I'll ever have one.

My watch plan is Longzines Hydeo,Tudar blackbay and an Omega Seamaster.

As my son put it ,really spend 1000€ + on a watch that tells the time that a 100 euro can match :)

He doesn't understand watches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Eoin wrote: »
    But the same goes for most cars, and the deprecation that goes with it and similar discretionary things that people don't bat an eyelid at.

This in particular is very true IMO.
    I got rid of my own car last year as I had no real need for it.
    Wife's car more than adequate and as I was granted free travel and live in a city, I honestly had no need to keep the 2nd car running. Freed up quite a bit of cash for the wrist ;)

Also means I'm super green :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

The buy them from CAB who seize them from gangsters most days of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Glenomra

What is the entry price for a good collectable watch as a matter of interest. I am asking as one who never wears a watch but will gladly spend 500 to a 1000 euro on a rare Irish book. When I can afford same. Can manage that through buying an occasional bargain and making a profit occasionally at least at auction. Just comparing 2 collecting fields...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Wibbs wrote: »
    Depends on someone's focus C. A mate of mine is into motor racing, which if you want to get the feel for it, stand in a muddy field in winter ripping up money. :D But he's not rich by any means, runs a small business and anything spare after family and expenses he fires into that. Car guys would be a fairly good comparison. The guys and gals in everyday average careers that love cars and buy a new mid luxury car every few years will see depreciation over a year or two that would cover a fair range of very fancy watches. Classic car restorer guys can fly through the cash. Few good restorations of an old car would be under 10k when finished. Not including the purchase price.

I collect 2 things. Watches and cars. F*CK :pac:

Worked in the music industry. Got lots of gifts. Still making money from "historical projects". I'd hate to think what my cars have cost me over the last 10 years. Several full restorations and rebuilds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    What did you get yourself?

I got a 2nd hand seamaster aqua terra. Its gorgeous, I love it.

I could have written your post. Basically lockdown savings. Amazing what a single holiday costs you. My difference is I opted against the lump sum into mortgage and got a watch instead. :D

Edit: In any case the watch wouldnt have knocked a couple of years off my mortgage. More like a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What helps is I got no kids, they seem to cost a ton.

A bit more than that. About €250,000 each

Linky

Without them, Rodney, I'd be a millionaire!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Glenomra wrote: »
    What is the entry price for a good collectable watch as a matter of interest. I am asking as one who never wears a watch but will gladly spend 500 to a 1000 euro on a rare Irish book. When I can afford same. Can manage that through buying an occasional bargain and making a profit occasionally at least at auction. Just comparing 2 collecting fields...

There would be some very nice vintage pieces in that price range, and from marquee brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    A bit more than that. About €250,000 each

Linky

Without them, Rodney, I'd be a millionaire!

Easily! Expensive little buggers ;)
    About 20yrs ago, I was joking with a cousin that for the price of raising just one crotch goblin...
    He could own a Ferrari! :D

When my Mrs announced her pregnancy, he took great pleasure in gifting me a beautiful and highly detailed model of an Enzo :pac:

As always, the great philosopher of our time said it best!
    65af721ab735ecff508a05f2c3fc51cd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The buy them from CAB who seize them from gangsters most days of the week.

The majority of those are counterfeit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

hitemfrank wrote: »
    The majority of those are counterfeit though.

They could NOT auction them if they are counterfeit.most are the real Mac coy and fetch half the retail value in most cases

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They could NOT auction them if they are counterfeit.
    I dunno P, auctions are outlets that should be approached with major caution when it comes to any item that attracts forgers and chancers and you need to have your wits about you. Your protections as a buyer are more limited than other avenues and auction houses protect their arses with vague labels and attributions.

I mean the world renowned big name auction houses have all been flagged for pushing dubious stuff through their salesrooms for many decades and watches are no exception. Only recently one of them whose name escapes were holding a vintage Seiko auction and a goodly number of their star lots were well dodgy and when this was flagged by watch nutters on the interwebs they had to temporarily halt the sale. Redials, put together "frankenwatches" and the like. It's rare enough you'd see a big ticket auction without "questionable" pieces. A local small town auction is likely to be safer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I would not fit into the category.

I love bikes and I love watches.

I also like guitars.

I'm not sure how a culchie from the bog developed such expensive tastes.

It would take me a couple of years, these days, to save a month's take home to spend on something like a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

Lorddrakul wrote: »

I'm not sure how a culchie from the bog developed such expensive tastes.

This also! Shameful in one way I feel.

I have what I have thanks to my parents.

They instilled importance of education in me realising there is no real future in farming. That facilitated me to get a fairly well paid job off farm job.

They also instilled the importance of saving. And even when I didn’t have a lot in my 20’s (a decade I lost to college) I was always saving a little. Not to say I didn’t enjoy my 20’s. I dropped 10k one year on a 6 week holiday where we travelled east of Ireland and came back from the west hitting Bangkok, hongkong, Vancouver, Las Vegas, Toronto and New York aslong the way. But always saving a little in the background.

Finally they instilled some cash! They gifted me a site then and my mother left me decent few quid, can’t recall exactly but a decent wedge. That coupled with the site and my own savings plus then 4 years doing a slow self build and saving hard during that time to pay for stuff as we went we were able to build a love house mortgage free. Great time to be building was a huge factor (2011-2015ish) as tradesmen were largely idle. This is the biggest reason I can afford to drop 5 figure sums on watches. Not been shackled with a mortgage like 90 percent of my peers is huge.

It’s also important to remember a lot of us are playing with the same 1k, 5k, 10k, 30k for a few years. Buying second hand means you are largely protected from depreciation. Any hobby where you buy second hand means it’s relatively inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Fitz II wrote: »
    I think we come from all sorts of backgrounds, but most I know would be: male, in technical professions, slightly weird.

Check, check, and check. I work for a living and have bills to pay so my collection is not as nice (or expensive) as some on here. On the other hand, if someone wants to spend on something that brings enjoyment, who am I to say otherwise :cool:

I also happen to like big engined, 6 pot BMW's. Which is an expensive hobby to have!

I can give up one and focus on the other, but I don't want to :D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...then you have the flippers. Guys who make a one off big chunk of change on a [insert brand here] hang onto it for a while and sell it on, for little enough loss and in some cases a gain, so the next purchase is not nearly such a big whack as the first.

As an example, I just sold my Panarei for my asking price - so aside from the cost of shipping it and adding a few straps - it cost me close to nothing to own for a year. There are plenty of watches in that price range (and higher) that can be harder to move on for the same price of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I think a few of the posters have hit the nail on the head , while you may have a good few quid tied up in watches , as long as you aren’t silly you will probably get 90/95 percent of it back if you need it. Most of the money I have tied up in watches came from when I got out of a car hobby.

For what it’s worth I work in finance in a relatively senior position and I’m paid accordingly, one thing I’ve learned over the years is that no one will pay you more than a cent more than they have to do you need to demonstrate your worth and then go ask for it and if they won’t give it to you go somewhere that will!

Watches are a nice hobby that you can enjoy at any price point really , it’s had me gripped for the last 15 years or more!

Advertisement