Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-10-2020, 09:25   #31
Jimmy Bottlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRabbit View Post
If you go the psychology route you can get away with never seeing a therapist at al!
I don't understand this; can you explain what you mean, please?
Advertisement
15-10-2020, 18:40   #32
SuperRabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bottlehead View Post
I don't understand this; can you explain what you mean, please?
I was being facetious about the fact not all psychology programs training people to talk/listen to other people include personal therapy as a requirement.
15-10-2020, 23:58   #33
Jimmy Bottlehead

Quote:
I was being facetious about the fact not all psychology programs training people to talk/listen to other people include personal therapy as a requirement.
It is mandatory to complete a significant amount of personal therapy as part of the counselling psychology doctorate, and strongly advised that this is continued for life.

I believe it is similar, albeit the amount of therapy is not as significant, for at least one of the clinical psychology doctorates.
Both programs also incorporate group therapy as part of their curriculum.
I am unaware of the details pertaining to the educational psychology doctorate.

Are there other psychology programs you're referring to?
Thanks from:
16-10-2020, 16:59   #34
SuperRabbit

I don't think I've ever read anything about doctorates, I was thinking about the post grad diplomas and the masters, every time I looked them up I didn't see anything about personal therapy. Let's see.. first google result: https://www.tcd.ie/courses/postgradu...PPPS-COPS-1F09
Oh here we go! yeah personal therapy. This +a psychology undergrad qualifies you to be a counseling psychologist (but not to work with the HSE, afaik, you need a masters for that?)
well that's good, I'm quite happy to be completely wrong about that
and obviously you can study psychology for four years at undergraduate level and never get therapy, and sometimes modules related to therapy / clinical / applied psych are optional in the undergraduate anyway.

uff I wanted to go back and add an addendum to that older post to say I was wrong but I'm not allowed edit it because it's a few days old,I hope no one reads that without also reading this post / Jimmy's post

Last edited by SuperRabbit; 16-10-2020 at 17:12.
16-10-2020, 17:51   #35
Jimmy Bottlehead

Quote:
I don't think I've ever read anything about doctorates, I was thinking about the post grad diplomas and the masters, every time I looked them up I didn't see anything about personal therapy. Let's see.. first google result: https://www.tcd.ie/courses/postgradu...PPPS-COPS-1F09
Oh here we go! yeah personal therapy. This +a psychology undergrad qualifies you to be a counseling psychologist (but not to work with the HSE, afaik, you need a masters for that?)
well that's good, I'm quite happy to be completely wrong about that
and obviously you can study psychology for four years at undergraduate level and never get therapy, and sometimes modules related to therapy / clinical / applied psych are optional in the undergraduate anyway.

uff I wanted to go back and add an addendum to that older post to say I was wrong but I'm not allowed edit it because it's a few days old,I hope no one reads that without also reading this post / Jimmy's post
Unfortunately, you're not correct. Soz.

The Doctorate in Counselling Psychology allows students who have completed HSE placements to work with the HSE, same as the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology or the Doctorate in Educational Psychology. Obviously there are innumerable other organisations all the aforementioned can practice in, but all are officially equitable as of a few years ago. It also looks likely funding for educational and counselling psychology trainees equitable to clinical psychology trainees will be secured in the coming years.

Undergraduate and Masters programmes in psychology don't have any sort of personal therapy aspect because, why would they? They're not designed for therapeutic practice, in Ireland at least. They're a gradually narrowing exposure to psychology across all fields; some Masters programs teach basic introduction to counselling or therapeutic skills, but that's as much as they need to do.

My overarching point is, if somebody aims to work in psychological research on road traffic systems, or psychometric assessment development or social psychology lecturing, there is no need to undergo mandatory personal therapy.

Last edited by Jimmy Bottlehead; 16-10-2020 at 17:57.
Advertisement
16-10-2020, 18:47   #36
SuperRabbit

You said i was incorrect but then it sounds like you paraphrased what I said? I don't get it, sorry. what bit was incorrect?
17-10-2020, 08:22   #37
Jimmy Bottlehead

Quote:
You said i was incorrect but then it sounds like you paraphrased what I said? I don't get it, sorry. what bit was incorrect?
That counselling psychologists can't work for the HSE without a masters. The post also addressed the lack of personal therapy at undergraduate and masters level.
17-10-2020, 09:13   #38
SuperRabbit

Yeah of course there's no reason for them to have it at undergrad level, I wasn't even thinking about masters level.

Then you mentioned doctorates allowing people to work with the HSE, as I'd said. I didn't realize a post grad diploma also would, until you said it in your new post. Now I see where I was wrong, I didn't see anything about that in the other post, thanks! I had been told by a lecturer with a masters in counselling psychology that you couldn't work for the HSE without at least a masters in counselling psychology
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion