Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about noisy neighbour

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Write down everything you can remember about the issue, and everything you have done to mitigate the complaints.

Send a copy to the council.

Then Forget about it. Sounds to me like the complainant doesn’t like those housed by the council and is getting REVENGE! Lol.

You appear to have gone above and beyond to solve the problem. You are to be commended for that, but enough is enough. Block her number if you haven’t already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

irishfemme wrote: »
    I live in an apartment on top of a duplex, and we have about 5 of these joined together.
    The apartment is electricity only and has those storage heaters, a day and night Meter is what it uses.
    We are a family of 3/4 in the small 2bed apartment but the 3bed duplex is occupied by only a young lady.

This lady has complained about everything, the says she can hear the water pump, strange pipe sounds, showers, flushes, washing machine.

I agreed not to wash at night, and to start the washing at 7-8am, the day time kicks in at 8am. So I only have one hour window to do all washing. I have a 1yr old child and another under 10.
    She requested washing to only be done on weekends, which most days I adhere to.

I have my showers late, 5 mins shower and lately, she says it affects her, and we should refrain from showering after 10pm, unfortunately, this isn't possible.

She complained about sounds going on for 3-4 hours, but won't record the sound or give evidence. She says it's from pipes or flooring.
    I spoke to my neighbor and I was told she's says their kids are noisy too and she would like them to move.

She complained to my landlord (the council) and all I get is constant calls from them to ask me not to wash or shower. No one has come to investigate the pump or flooring, or even hear the sound in her duplex.

The situation is very tense and this lady seems very fragile, my kids can't even jump, out of fear of her lashing out.

The council said they have arranged mediation btwn her and myself, but I feel we may not get anywhere as no one is actually out to inspect.

I can hear my other neighbours conversations and nightly sex and everything. I just believe it's a part and parcel of this apartment on top of duplex living.

What can be done to solve this?
    The pump wakes me up whenever anyone ons the tap etc, but we are accustomed to it now.

I think that you are being too reasonable. Unfortunately inmost Irish apartment blocks such noises are prevalent. Pumps, washing machines, showers and general pipework can cause noise. I can't help but think that there are other issues at play here. You have really compromised and if you were at faultthe Council would more sterner action than mediation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DaveyA

I agree with those who say you're being too reasonable. I rented my spare bedroom to a woman who seemed nice, but before I knew it she was running the house - first she said she'd heard a door slamming in the house next door and it had 'an angry energy', and she asked if she could move her bed into a different empty bedroom. I said I didn't want anyone in that room as I watched TV late at night in the room beneath it, where I slept, but she said she didn't mind. She kept her stuff in the first bedroom so then she had 2 rooms plus the bathroom on that floor.
    My sister came to stay for a week, she complained I hadn't asked her permission, "it would have only been polite".
    She said she could hear my TV at night, and she thought 10 o'clock would be a reasonable time to turn it off
    I said "you have a month to find somewhere else".

When you're nice and reasonable with unreasonable people they push and push and push, because they think you'll give in forever.

My advice is to stick by the nightime noise rules, but apart from that you're entitled to live your life. It's not your fault that builders were allowed to get away with shoddy thin walls, nobody cared about the people who had to live in those places that were thrown up with not a thought for anyone, only profit for landowners and builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

irishfemme wrote: »
    I guess my question is, is there a more quiet pump that can be bought? This was only replaced 2 years ago.
    To me, it's not loud to the extend of affecting my life, it may be different for the lady downstairs.
    She won't record how loud it is or anything though.

OP,

That looks like a 2 bar pressure Stuart Turner refurbished negative head pump.

Once you run a tap, bath, shower , washing appliances, dishwasher etc it will activate.

There is 4 legs on it and you can buy a rubber mat to place underneath it to reduce the noise which maybe transmitting to your neighbour below you.

There is probably no sound insulation between your apartments, this happened in a lot of celtic tiger builds, builders just cut corners and costs.

Your management agent or OMC should have a set of house rules for the apartment complex. I think your neighbour should be raising any issues with the Management agent/ company 1st instead of running direct to the council who I understand is your landlord.

I have sent you a sample set of house rules via PM.

There should be an IMMERMAT 31100 timer attached to the pump which you can set for it to turn off after 11pm at night time and come on at 7am in the morning. I think they cost about €40, a plumber can install this timing unit if it is not present.

There is 3 options on this timing unit,

1. Constant on =Permanently ON
    2. constant off =Permanently OFF
    3. timed on/off =switching programme as set on dial.

https://www.plumbingproducts.ie/time-clocks-ireland/3305-flash-31100-immersion-time-clock-with-surface-box.html

Hope this helps.

Advertisement