Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peat Briquette RIP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

what kind of banana republic are we living in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People who have rights to turf should still be allowed harvest it. Themselves. By hand. No resale of turf or right and no help from family or friends.

For how long? Until it's all gone? Why not try and preserve it after we've done so much damage already? Over time if we allowed policies like this, it'll cause massive damage.
    People are going to do it anyway, so you needn't worry about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Coal will be next to get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I find it nuts that people still do footing of the turf, back breaking work and not really much benefit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

beerguts wrote: »
    100% correct sir. Even though it isn't common here in Ireland we can get depressions without any substantial wind for weeks at a time. I would be afraid that we could have our grid collapse from this and if it goes down like that it can be very difficult to get it back and running quickly when conditions improve. Bring back coal or let's start planning for Nuclear.
    Our grid is fine. Recent warnings were a reminder to suppliers to be on stand by.

Gas from Norway today will be gas from Galway and Cork tomorrow and can be topped up with hydrogen from renewables at minimal outlay compared to the money pit that is nuclear.

We don't have the bulk buying power or experience with nuclear power like the neighbours who've been doing it since 1953 and right now they are getting screwed over on cost by Johnny Foreigner and will be in hoc to Chinese money lenders for ages.

Insulate the crap out of old housing stock would be the easiest way to remove the demand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

People who have rights to turf should still be allowed harvest it. Themselves. By hand. No resale of turf or right and no help from family or friends.

Turf cutting will be around for a long time yet, there's a reason the Greens are hated outside urban areas.

Turf cutting will be around for a long time yet, there's a reason the Greens are hated outside urban areas.

But FG brought in this initiative, why are you talking about the greens?
    FG also signed up for the Paris agreement and introduced carbon taxes you know.
    Maybe you guys should hate FG instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I remember a few foreign gentlemen (involved in some arts project) marveling at our pete briquettes in the late 1970's. They loved them so much they asked could they take a few back home!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you're trying to light turf using only firelighters you are living a life of sin. Shame! Shame!

*rings Game of Thrones shame bell*
    Get two briquettes and bang them together sideways to separate the layers. Dead easy to light the thinnest ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

what will this mean for private bog owners,who produce there own turf?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

theguzman wrote: »
    An entire industry destroyed and closed down by the far-Left Green party, the same as our Sugar industry destroyed under German demands, our sugar now comes from Germany using sugar cane grown on destroyed Amazon rainforest. But jeez lets all put in heatpumps and pay €2.5k a year in electricity coming at the long end of a gas pipeline from Russia.

I hate this **** about the sugar industry. The amount of subsidy the sugar producers received towards the end exceeded the value of the crop. It would've literally made more sense to pay the farmers to stay at home.

Peat. Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

I find it nuts that people still do footing of the turf, back breaking work and not really much benefit.

i know a man who owns he,s own bog and sells plots to other people who foot and look after there turf.
    he makes thousands every summer from it and also has enough fuel for he,s fire for 12-24mths.

he pays for the hopper to come in and produce the lines,after that its up to all of the other people to look after there lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Happy4all wrote: »
    what kind of banana republic are we living in?

Septic isle.. Great song.

bassy wrote: »
    i know a man who owns he,s own bog and sells plots to other people who foot and look after there turf.
    he makes thousands every summer from it and also has enough fuel for he,s fire for 12-24mths.

he pays for the hopper to come in and produce the lines,after that its up to all of the other people to look after there lines.

Indeed, use to do it with my cousin's when I'd spend the summer on my grandad farm....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Might frame a few and sell them as art?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭Ginger83

bassy wrote: »

Yes that's how we buy it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CFlat wrote: »
    Don't worry, some scientist somewhere in the future will say that electricity has a detrimental impact on the environment. And the circle of blame for destroying the earth will continue ad nauseum.

Well if he can invent something better then what harm.

You would swear we are all gonna freeze in our beds tonight without the turf

Ignorance and fear of change.

That's the answer to the question above I assume

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Well if he can invent something better then what harm.

You would swear we are all gonna freeze in our beds tonight without the turf

But like, you do have in California for example rolling blackouts all summer as they made their energy green and it can't cope now..

But like, you do have in California for example rolling blackouts all summer as they made their energy green and it can't cope now..

Rolling blackouts in California are not because of green energy. It's been going on for years for a number of reasons including good old US greed.
    Ever see the Enron documentary.

And green energy is still electricity and the poster I was replying to said scientists will say " electricity has a detrimental impact on the environment "

• Advertisement

Rolling blackouts in California are not because of green energy. It's been going on for years for a number of reasons including good old US greed.

And green energy is still electricity and the poster I was replying to said scientists will say " electricity has a detrimental impact on the environment "

Air con units all on drawing huge amounts of current....
    Not enough measures in place and no back up options.

Remember seeing many go to shops, pools for the day as no a/c at home....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Which will result in Ireland paying higher carbon charges. I suppose it's some way of rural Ireland getting their own back for urbanites who refused to pay €3.78 a week, while much of rural Ireland pays for group water schemes.

Paddy and his mé féinism.

Air con units all on drawing huge amounts of current....
    Not enough measures in place and no back up options.

Remember seeing many go to shops, pools for the day as no a/c at home....

All true but why is green energy to blame?

Natural gas is the biggest producer of electricity in California so why not blame that

All true but why is green energy to blame?

Natural gas is the biggest producer of electricity in California so why not blame that

Not blaming it at all, they obviously haven't planned properly or won't put enough money in to sort.

You will find business and hospitals will be fine but houses will be 1st to be shut down....
    Bet if one were to go into gated communities or say where the dems are, they'll be all fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Yes I was in California 21 years ago and during record temperatures there was some blackouts due to pressure on electricity grid

Green energy production was tiny back then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ignorance and fear of change.

That's the answer to the question above I assume

More like resentment at loosing a degree of self sufficiency.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

More like resentment at loosing a degree of self sufficiency.

Self sufficiency can’t be at all costs though.

Extraction of peat amd turf on industrial scales has destroyed unique natural habitats amd added to flooding in many areas

There’s an argument that initially we knew no better, but we know better now.

Which will result in Ireland paying higher carbon charges. I suppose it's some way of rural Ireland getting their own back for urbanites who refused to pay €3.78 a week, while much of rural Ireland pays for group water schemes.

Paddy and his mé féinism.

It's a bit silly getting into that, property tax in Dublin and Cork props up the rest of the country's local authorities

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/property-tax-from-our-cities-still-props-up-rest-of-country-38443184.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Aren't we going to be connected to mainland Europe soon? We will get to use french nuclear power without having them in our country. No need to worry about energy security once this happens.

Peat harvesting is ecocide. Globally, boglands are bigger carbon sinks than all forest combined and when we don't disturb them they are highly biodiverse. It's great that the government are moving to phase out peat harvesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Low heat and piles of ash

Horrible things

Advertisement