Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 year old with no interest in reading

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

What other interests and hobbies does your daughter have? Would she be interested in reading about people involved in those pastimes, autobiographical books, factual books based on these etc. The comic book style books are very popular too & less daunting for a reluctant reader. Could she read to a younger sibling? Set aside reading time as a family if possible to try develop the habit of reading.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Jeff Kinney's (diary of a wimpy kid) are very popular with reluctant readers. I'd get down to local library and ask them too (self promotion involved here)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

What other interests and hobbies does your daughter have? Would she be interested in reading about people involved in those pastimes, autobiographical books, factual books based on these etc. The comic book style books are very popular too & less daunting for a reluctant reader. Could she read to a younger sibling? Set aside reading time as a family if possible to try develop the habit of reading.

Well thats the thing - she really loves dogs. But I sat down with here to read Roddy Doyles book The Giggler Treatment, which is about dogs, and she had no interest....thats what prompted me to start this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well thats the thing - she really loves dogs. But I sat down with here to read Roddy Doyles book The Giggler Treatment, which is about dogs, and she had no interest....thats what prompted me to start this.

Oh- try the Dog Man series by Dav Pilkey! It's main character is a dog, but it's not about dogs if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Horrible Histories books, maybe if they watch the tv show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Have you had any conversations with her teachers about how she’s getting on with English in school? I know this is a tough year and it’s not as easy to meet with teachers but I’d start here with a phone call to get some insight into how she’s getting on with English in January maybe?

How about trying a ‘running record’? This is a reading test that assesses if the book someone is currently reading is too easy, too hard or just the right level for their reading ability. Simply get them to read 100 words, watch the words very carefully, have a blank sheet of paper in front of you, and tally every word, count the mistakes out of 100 then use one of the many ‘running record’ calculator apps eg wordcalc.com

I’d definitely second what a lot of posters have already said about finding something that she interested in. If you think of us adults, we like to read books based on our hobbies or tv shows that we like, children are no different, what tv shows does she like, could you tap into that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lumengg

I had no interest in reading till 16yo. Maybe you need to try to use alternative ways like showing him some interesting documentaries or audiobooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭tscul32

Everyone in my house read books except me - think I was about 15 before I properly read a book purely for enjoyment. Then didn't stop. And I was always top of my class academically so it wasn't about ability.
    My husband and always have a book on the go. My eldest was still 8 when he finished the harry potter series. My second could read 2-3 full books a day. My youngest is almost 9 and while he still loves us to read a chapter to him at bedtime, he has never sat down to read a chapter book by himself. This is despite his teacher sending home a note saying how it was obvious from his reading skills that he must read so much at home.
    So, unless she's struggling with English or school in general I wouldn't worry at all.

Advertisement