Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performances that have blown you away

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

kfrp wrote: »
    While my guitar gently weeps, concert for George with guest musicians

https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y

Princes solo at the end especially, George Harrisons son Dani on accoustic

A great quote I seen on YouTube about the performance there was that it wasn't the guitar playing but the timing and how he fitted it in

That's where his genius came in , he made it look simple

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

In real life?
    Leonard Cohen at Kilmainham.
    I dont know what happened at that concert but the connection between audience and artist transcended into something I've never experienced at any other gig.

I did security in front of the stage, two nights. It was unreal.

I remember Cohen said that he wished he could bring the crowd with him to every gig, iirc, after the whole place was belting out Hallelujah with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

jmayo wrote: »
    Riverdance at the Eurovision.

Best thing to have ever come out of the thing and it wasn't even an entry.

Eurovision Interval acts were always shyte.

Irish dancing was totally uncool and Irish dancers always looked like they had swallowed a crowbar.

7 minutes later the world was on it's head and it was us the Irish that did it.
    Well with the help of some yanks. :D

Even after a quarter of a century (how the hell is it that old :eek: ) that still makes the hair on the back of one's neck stand up.

Pure fcuking class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

This performance definitely blew me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The binary sunset in Star Wars

When Luke Skywalker looks into the distance across the Tattooine desert and thinks of his destiny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Diego Maradona V Bayern Munich in the 1989 UEFA Cup Semi final warm up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Stumbled across a Bee Gees Tribute on Sky Arts or one of them channels and although I would have been a huge fan they have written some fairly decent tunes.
    Near the end, Celine Dion (who had only a short time before that lost her husband and brother) sang Immortality and they had part of the original video with Maurice and Robin and Barry in the background - sounds so cheesy - it was like she sang it just to Barry who was in the crowd and he sang along..

I ugly cried

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

KaneToad wrote: »
    The vocals.
    The moves.
    The theatrics.
    Unexpected and brilliant.

Check out the Coachella Performance of this. 25:44 into the video. One of my favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Here is my favourite two.

Check out this if you haven’t seen it. Raw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Stumbled across a Bee Gees Tribute on Sky Arts or one of them channels and although I would have been a huge fan they have written some fairly decent tunes.
    Near the end, Celine Dion (who had only a short time before that lost her husband and brother) sang Immortality and they had part of the original video with Maurice and Robin and Barry in the background - sounds so cheesy - it was like she sang it just to Barry who was in the crowd and he sang along..

I ugly cried

Bee gees should probably win every award

They were that good

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Jesse Winchesters performance of shama ling dong ding onstage with neko case, elvis Costello, Sheryl crow and Ron Sexsmith, the show was called spectacle iirc and ron did an outstanding performance with Costello with every day I write the book, but jesses solo blew me away, it was the first time I'd ever seen him and listen to his stuff regularly since, Neko Case was also a new one to me and is always top of my playlist, maybe someone can link the video as I can't, I'd love to have seen Jesse live but he died a while after that episode was made

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The binary sunset in Star Wars

When Luke Skywalker looks into the distance across the Tattooine desert and thinks of his destiny
    I dunno about performance JimBob, but I remember that scene very clearly as a kid in the 70's when it came out. I was 8 or 9. That film hit me in a way that such things only can when they're brand new and fresh and you're a child. Though that said my dad who brought me thought it was brilliant too. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wibbs wrote: »
    I dunno about performance JimBob, but I remember that scene very clearly as a kid in the 70's when it came out. I was 8 or 9. That film hit me in a way that such things only can when they're brand new and fresh and you're a child. Though that said my dad who brought me thought it was brilliant too. :)

It was my first time to a cinema. Savoy 1. The screen was wider than our house. My Dad brought me and some of my friends for my 8th birthday.

I completely understand what you mean. My son is now almost 14 and also a big Star Wars fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

Queen's live aid set and Susan Boyle's audition on BGT.

pipelaser wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/t7ayocfGDzU

Seems he was only ever given one opportunity to play, and with his few minutes he turned in a once in a lifetime performance!
    Amazing what a room/gymnasium full of positive energy can do to make you better than ever!

Oooo right in the feels

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭billyhead

Watching the video for Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson when I was about 7 or 8.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Apparently a similar performance in early 1960's London where a couple of BBC employees were present gave the idea to one of them of coming up with the Doctor Who villains the Daleks. That smooth movement minus feet and legs of the women in that dance.

The precision in that is amazing and the tune is pretty damn good too. :) Watch the men though going en pointe(sp) like ballet dancers minus the support of ballet shoes. You'd have to have legs and feet of iron for that. :eek:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

One of my earliest memories is hearing Buddy Holly's 'True Love Ways', and the sax solo still often comes to my mind. First thing I bought myself probably ten years later when I started working, was a tenor sax.

So I suppose that performance blew me away, since it has stayed with me and changed my life in such a positive direction. Anyway...

Coleman Hawkins, Body and Soul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFg6HvljDE

Sonny Rollins, 'You Don't Know What Love Is'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn6VFGVwPGE

The quirky virtuosity of Rahsaan Roland Kirk, playing three saxophones simultaneously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIqLJmlQQNM

Dexter Gordon in the film 'Round Midnight'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Seen these guys live a few times, was checking out some of their videos earlier today before I spotted this tread.
    Excellent live band.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,064 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Everytime a thread like this comes up, i have my 2 go-to videos: 1 is the George Harrison tribute with Prince that was posted already, the other is this - Paul Weller and band going hell for leather on Jools Holland

Edit: and a 3rd, Roads by Portishead in Roseland NYC. Even the yanks screaming at inappropriate moments doesnt ruin it.

A true story -

Salsa lessons every day in Havana for three weeks, with people who it transpired were old friends of Ibrahim Ferrer, the vocalist with Buena Vista Social Club.

Spent an afternoon at his house, dancing Salsa and getting locked on rum and coke. We sang Bruca Manigua together and I was bawling like an ass going out the door

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjTcKP7JwfY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

When I was about 15 in the 80s we had a half day from school and a few of us went round to a friend's house. The friend had rented AC/DC's Let There Be Rock concert video. It's still one of the best concert videos around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

https://youtu.be/6SFNW5F8K9Y
    Tom petty, Jeff Lynn, Steve winwaad, dani Harrison, and of course PRINCE stealing the show
    Sorry about the link I don't know how to put the video up

While my guitar gently sleeps well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Vita nova

This is a Sufi dance called a zikr, in this case I think they're Chechens(according to Youtube comments) but can't be certain... correction welcomed. They seem to enter some sort of trance state through dance, it's quite fascinating to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭dasdog

jiltloop wrote: »
    If we're going with in the flesh then the last time I was blown away was Bjork's Cornucopia gig in the Point last year. Absolutely incredible production, probably the best thing I have ever experienced live. No youtube videos exist unfortunately, I really hope a DVD is released of it soon because I'd love to try and relive it.

It was a theatrical masterpiece - an absolute sensory overload. I was in the flat seating area and the sub bass was too much for some people :pac: As brilliant as it was I would only put it down as the third or forth best show I saw last year as there is a difference between performance and overall concert experience. But she is something else to be still creating at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

dasdog wrote: »
    It was a theatrical masterpiece - an absolute sensory overload. I was in the flat seating area and the sub bass was too much for some people :pac: As brilliant as it was I would only put it down as the third or forth best show I saw last year as there is a difference between performance and overall concert experience. But she is something else to be still creating at that level.

Also worth seeing is When Bjork Met Attenborough, a look at Bjork's Biophilia concept, album and subsequent tour, talking about things like the sounds she searches for and the use of the Tesla in her performance among other things.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,841 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Vita nova wrote: »
    This is a Sufi dance called a zikr, in this case I think they're Chechens(according to Youtube comments) but can't be certain... correction welcomed. They seem to enter some sort of trance state through dance, it's quite fascinating to watch.

This has to be one of the strangest , yet mesmerizing thing I've seen tbh .

Advertisement