Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Some places have those light weight flexi bollards on corners. They should be ubiquitous on corners, given corner cutting seems nearly universal, and a menace to cyclists. Also a bad lane design as so many think a cyclist can only go on a cycle lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sorry should have been more specific (as someone who has commuted through for many years I'm not that familiar with the park!) There's bollards at Upper Glen Road car park so nobody can come from the Chapelizod side. There's still some traffic at Knockmaroon but the close calls I've had in the twisty section are basically gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nearly collided with another cyclist today. was on the portmarnock to baldoyle greenway and a woman cycling towards me got distracted by something in her basket and stopped to investigate, but swung across in front of me as she came to a stop. missed her by a few inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭standardg60

Sounds like a basket case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

got close passed today i think out near dunboyne, and i think it was a triple word score of red flags; 14 year old passat, DL reg, and a nurburgring sticker on the back.

yesterday, i was close passed (into oncoming traffic) by a chap driving an irish school of motoring instructor's car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

While she should of been more aware, there is big arrows on the road showing which lane you should be in for going straight. Would never go straight from a lane that says left hand turn only. I always move myself into the middle lane there especially because the cars opposite will cut you off as they will turn right without thinking :(

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

not me, but caught a hairy one the other day (Wed evening) on O'Connell St (Dublin). Was headed up towards Supermacs there, where a woman walking in front of me was anxiously looking for an opportunity to cross towards Abbey St Lower in heavy traffic. Lights went red up at that junction. Without even looking back, hopped out onto the road - cyclist behind slammed the brakes and luckily avoided creaming her. She danced off with a nervous 'Ha ha'. Yer man seemed pretty shocked and managed not to upend himself 😬🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Me myself I always shift lane, or shift to the right of an indicating left turner (plus so many people cannot corner without cutting it endangering someone going left) and a careless cyclist still is entitled to his safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Well fudge me i nearly had the same yesterday.

Headed from Kilmessan out toward Dunsany the few bends before the hill up to the quarry

I can see a motorbike (with a nice bright headlight) coming toward me plain as day, fairly shifting too.

I hear a car coming hard behind me, no slow down coming.

Held my line and threw my hand out in a stop/right turn kind of a gesture.

Car slams on and I look back to see the bike manage to squeeze through, car is way over the middle of the road, outside me completely and I'm well out.

Once is unfortunate, twice is a pattern. I'm well out taking the lane, both times.

Are these drivers adding bike and motorbike together and assuming space left for car.

Are they just not seeing the bikes (full sure the first one didn't)? Are they just oblivious?

Are they all on their phones???

Oh edit.

I also had a little Mazda crossover (cx3?) overtake me so close (and very low speed) in Dunsaughlin that i gave his back quarter panel a whack. It being a nice light Mazda I have hopefully done at least €500 damage.

Then 500m later an Audi Q3 overtook me and within 10 seconds had to turn right, and left me no space to fit down the inside. She was stuck with about 10 oncoming cars. So i just went around her on the right, where she had left loads of space. She was wearing a mask and staring straight ahead with the wheel in a death grip.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had a close one this evening. Travelling from Leixlip towards Hazelhatch at about 35km/h, a driver decided to overtake as I was passing Elm Hall Nursing Home (here). When she was level with me, an oncoming car came around the bend. Rather than brake and pull back in behind me, she maintained her speed (which wasnt that fast) but moved left towards me.

Knowing what's happening, I braked and pulled left, while she was now (i believe) fully in my lane with the back of her car beside me. I think the oncoming car also braked but they weren't really what I was thinking about at the time.

As she continued on her way, I pulled over and stuck her reg into a blank email (as I have goldfish memory (I think)). As I headed on soon afterwards, who is pulled in outside Hazelhatch station but herself. As soon as she saw me she moved off again but I caught up with her at the roundabout. Managed to knock on her passenger side but she drove off.

I went off on my way and had myself a lovely spin in the evening sun. On my way home, I pulled into Leixlip garda station and gave a statement to a sound garda (who himself cycles and knows what it's like out there). We'll see what happens from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Out last night heading from baldoyle up to the cycle lane on coast road, road was quiet no traffic jams in either direction and at the take aways just before the Elphin some young fella just pulls straights across the road right in front of me to go into a parking space. Dopey young 1 in the passenger seat just looking at me with no reaction or saying anything to the driver. Was in a bit of shock and anger that I didn't get a reg number but not sure how far I'd get if I reported him. Been contemplating a camera for a while and think now its time to get .

there's near misses and then there's this 😲

A bonkers amount of victim blaming in the twitter posts too

People are HORRIFIC at staying in their lanes on a slight bend. See it daily when driving the backroads to work. Funny that there's a lot of protected bike lanes in areas that don't really need it while there's loads of bends or junctions where people sit in the bike lane to turn left that are left without them...

To be fair (and in no way justifying the drivers inability to stay in the correct lane), I think RTBI has posted other videos at that bend and by now he should know that it would be prudent to kinda merge with traffic going through. Even after the bend, it is apparent that the cycle lane ends and the subsequent bus lane looks to be well used by parking vehicles. He should have known to ease off knowing that the white van would be going through the bend at the same time as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The replies from people on his post are actually disgusting and clueless at times

Talking about overtaking and blind spots etc. Are they too thick to think for a second that the cycle lane is different to the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

This and using phones in slow-moving traffic daily I'm pinched in on or cut off by traffic slowly weaving in and out of lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Not a near miss but just a stressful situation with impatient drivers.

Cycling along on a minor road with T - junction ahead, where you have to turn left or right onto a major road. But once you're stopped, there's often traffic turning into the minor road.

So was on the minor road. Stopped before the white line with my arm out to signal turning right. But cars on the major road from both directions wanted to turn into the minor road. Cars on the left of me were stopped because of no real break to get through with cars coming from the right... But as soon as there is a break, car on the left of me signals me on... Ah how lovely of them, me thinks... Except, there's now a car driving on the right but signalling to turn into the minor road... And I sit there until they complete their turn but asshole behind me starts beeping like mad to hurry me on.

Am I correct in thinking that I don't take drivers signals and I'm meant to wait until the car on the right turns into the minor road (if they do)? Like what am I meant to do. Take someone else's thoughts and they think it's ok to exit, except it's not and I could end up having a car or truck drive into me?

The only thing that a flashing indicator tells you is that the bulb works!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

He seems to attract a load of random UK Twitter accounts that are specifically trolls. I don’t know if it’s because he engages with them or there’s some UK account that likes to retweet him and then they all pile in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats awful in Cork. I would be reporting that but I know RTBI has not had much success. I probably would have slowed, and then moved well outside the cycle lane to prevent a close pass from any vehicles behind. It does not justify what happened being the cyclists fault in any way. Driver should be checking mirrors.

I had a Dublin Bus encroach into a cycle lane before fully passing and then for good measure started to slow to stop. Pointless overtake. It was not as close as RTBI, but was still way to close and gave me a fright as the space between vehicle and kerb narrowed to the width of my bars and alongside a massive wheel.

I must try and get it on streamable. I had to bang the side of the bus repeatedly to stop it coming in. I reported it to AGS. DB are pretty bad in terms in infomation. Claiming GDPR etc. (I don't want to know the name of the driver) Can you insist they advise you the outcome of the investigation?

• Advertisement

From experience, DB won't tell you anything beyond the video was forwarded to the depot manager for investigation, if you want more you'll have to go to AGS even then I've given up as you have to do all the leg work e.g. attend to report, come back to give a statement and possibly go to court if they dispute it.

Just on GDPR, you can request the on board video where you are in the frame, so if they have a few cameras, you can get a few angles (no idea how many there are on a bus)

From memory, I got views of the driver, out both doors, front, back and both flanks of the bus the newer busses are quite well covered!

How can they claim GDPR for not giving you CCTV footage when you're literally entitled to footage of yourself because it counts as personal information? Anyone can request CCTV footage of themselves from anywhere and it must be provided free of charge within 30 days.

Whether they comply or not is a different story...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thanks for all the replies. I was not after video from them as my own is sufficient.

My issue is they won't tell me anything other than the driver was interviewed. Saying outcome is protected by GDPR and HR policy. My point is, I dont know, need or want to know the driver name so what is the privacy issue. I would just like to know what the outcome as I dont think they treat these serious if there is no injury. The outcome could be provided and stíl preserve the employees privacy. It happens with WRC cases all the time, which are normally reported anonymous. Why would the same not apply here?

Ah yeah, that's different, they don't have to divulge that info as it's internal.

If you escalate to the Gardai on the other hand

he deliberately tags the BBC presenter jeremy vine in a lot of his tweets, who often shares them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There's a certain level of showmanship that goes into making the videos, I suspect with this target audience in mind. There's 3 or 4 junctions he has multiple videos of the same type of near miss happening. Drivers always at fault of course, but you'd think a sense of self preservation would eventually kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ah that makes sense, it’s an absolute cesspit with them all parroting the whole Tory argument of unlicensed cyclists etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭PhillySteak9

How about this overtake from last Sunday by a Parcel King courier van?

Advertisement